What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Pork and chicken Tsukune meatballs with tare glaze. Long grain rice. Garden green beans. Homemade chili crisp.

22 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at The Farmer’s Daughter in Newton, NJ, including pork osso bucco; gnocchi; hand made chips with lobster and caviar; feta and pear salad. It all went great with an excellent Cabernet and Syrah.

13 Likes

We had light snow again last night, today sunshine, rain, hail. Definitely soup weather. Chorizo, cannellini beans, spinach, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, chicken stock. Salad of oak and tango lettuce, avocado, radish, green onion, Tajin ranch dressing. Warm baguette with double butter and wine.

20 Likes

You are doing just that.

Thank you for sharing this intimate, emotional time with us: my heart goes out to you and your father’s loved ones.

9 Likes

Cantaloupe definitely and a sponge smelling of Comet from under the bathroom sink.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a Potato & Vegetable Soup. I had some potatoes that were about to go bad, so I peeled and shredded them for a big batch of soup. Potatoes, onions, tomatoes, carrots, sliced black olives, chopped broccoli and scallions. I used cream of chicken soup as a base & let it slow cook in the crock pot all day. Good soup!!

10 Likes

My condolences. I’m so sorry for your loss. This quote hits.

5 Likes

Fra Diavolo :fire: with shrimp and bay scallops. Infused olive oil with a metric ton of chili flakes and gave the seafood a quick sauté before deglazing with some dry vermouth and adding a jar of Rao’s Arrabiata. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: they make the best jar sauce in existence. Despite my last name, I am NOT a red sauce guy, but I just love their stuff. There was bread.

Two Bombay Martinis. Happy Saturday.

22 Likes

I think this may be their best sauce: it’s the one we used to stock in bulk, not the marinara. Not that spicy (if one has any tolerance), but very flavorful and not “herby”. (Also makes a fabulous cheater base for indian cooking, with onion-tomatoes-garlic already cooked down well.)

13 Likes

We’ve had chicken and dumplings this evening after a very lazy Sunday. It was really comforting and the dumplings were the best I’ve ever had in a delicious, flavourful, herby broth. It’s definitely going on the rotation.

19 Likes

Damn, I need some of that in my life right now. It’s been just uncomfortably cold in CA.

4 Likes

Spicy roasted shrimp and root vegetables over sharp cheddar grits. I improvised after getting a CSA bag delivered today. Tasty!

21 Likes

Spinach and mushroom quiche. The blind bake on the crust worked out very well. I didn’t have gruyere, so I used cheddar and some goat cheese. It worked out pretty well, although needed more s/p overall.

Wine.

And today’s snugglebunny picture of Finn in what has become a cat-furred lap blankie.

27 Likes

Sweet snugglebunny. Gorgeous quiche! What ratios do you use?

1 Like

For the liquid, it was 4 eggs, 2/3 cup 1% milk, 1/3 cup heavy cream. Fit the tart dish perfectly with a Pillsbury pie crust. The goat cheese made it a bit too soft for my liking upon cutting in to it after a 20 minute rest, but I’m hoping it’ll firm up overnight in the fridge and be good for work lunches.

1 Like

Prime ribeye on the grill. Caesar salad with homemade dressing. There were some optional smashed spuds.

Brandied fruit for dessert, and a cognac for the cook.

21 Likes

Can you believe it snowed again last night, looked like about 3". Enough already!
I got a pile of dungies today so I made crab corn chowdah. Fried some bacon and then added butter to the grease to saute onion, celery, jalapeño, red bell, garlic. Added flour, cream and chicken broth, potatoes, corn, bay leaf and thyme. Just before serving I added the crab to heat and served topped with the bacon, parsley and a dusting of pimentón. It was wonderful. Spinach, avocado, mushroom and green onion salad. Red dressing.Toasted baguette.

25 Likes

The chowder looks great!

2 Likes

What a perfect looking dinner, and especially for the weather! I’ve been craving chowder, but it would have to be smoked salmon, as I have no crab. Dang! But salmon good too.

4 Likes

Instant ramen. Penang MyKuali white curry noodles. (Malaysia)

17 Likes