What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

These noodles were from the Asian market - but similar to the ones from Trader Joe’s. We actually had some unused “soy and sesame” sauce packets from the TJ’s package and used it on these. Bland bland bland (even with the addition of scallions, garlic, and ginger). Oyster sauce would have been much better.

1 Like

Waste of seasoning power. I do find it interesting how oyster sauce (and hoisin) pack such a flavor punch even just as a small enhancement. I have to find a vegetarian version to use here.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words. It’s the big C, but detected early, so we’re hopeful :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

19 Likes

Good luck. I hope the treatment goes smoothly and is successful.

4 Likes

@linguafood Sending you all the good juju I can. {{{Hugs}}}

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay…here’s the new April thread!

2 Likes

Beets are on my list, thanks. Also carrots and daikon, which I think would fare better.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Good luck!

1 Like

“…detected early…” gives one hope. Ride that wave as best you can. There are lots of things to think about, so surround yourself with those who can ride that wave with you. Wishing you a pleasant journey through this! :bouquet:

4 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry, we are all here for you if you need us.

1 Like

Le pièce de résistance, the anchovy? wrapped olive.

1 Like

That really sucks. I, unfortunately, can’t recall where you are but if you’re anywhere near the Jersey Shore I’d be happy to bring you some chicken soup!

2 Likes

Doubles is a popular street food from Trinidad and Tobago of Indian origin. They are made with two baras (flat fried dough) and filled with curry chana (chickpeas) and various chutneys. I first became acquainted with Doubles awhile back when looking for restaurant recommendations near JFK airport. Someone suggested Doubles at Trinciti. Great food! We don’t get to the airport that often but had to be there twice in less than 2 weeks and I realized again just how much I liked the Doubles.

When I had no inspiration for dinner last night I decided to try making them. The baras were pretty easy to make once I got the hand of flattening them out. The recipe called for amchar masala (used to make mango pickle) which I didn’t have. I looked at the ingredients of various pre-made ones on-line and tried my best to replicate the mixture. I ended up using coriander, cumin, black pepper, fennel seed, brown mustard seeds, fenugreek and amchur powder (from dried green mangos). I’m glad a made a big batch because I really liked the tang it added to the chickpeas and can see using it often. The Doubles are served with mango chutney, mango pickle and the traditional cucumber chutney.

21 Likes

It always sounds like a good idea… :wink:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

there’s a new thread for April.

(post deleted by author)

A few dinners from March. Although it can be a long, dreary month where I am, it went by quickly, with a lot of surprisingly sunny days. St P’s dinner with all the traditional stuff, just cooked differently this year. Braised corned beef that was then glazed and baked. This turned out well! Not wanting to open new jars of stuff, with which to glaze the C.B., used some lemon curd, mixed with some Dijon, and a little brown sugar. Tasty. Served with sautéed cabbage and carrots, mashers, and Irish Soda Bread. The leftovers made for some fantastic CB hash on the weekend. Bought 2 additional CB’s which are in the freezer, since they were on sale. Green and Yellow Pepper Beef over rice. Finally a totally gratuitous picture of DD2’ s cat licking her chops.

18 Likes

I prefer fresh but the sand removal is a pain in the ass. Local fish store will clean and shuck but I prefer the frozen, way better than canned which I don’t like at all.