What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Lazy dinner of Aldi rotisserie-style pulled pork with assorted BBQ sauces on the side, Aldi sweet corn with shallots and butter & Penzey’s Mural of Flavor seasoning, and Aldi mac n cheese. Perfect for a Monday night.

16 Likes

gorgeous! i haven’t made pibil in a while…

2 Likes

Char siu and shrimp fried rice with eggs, scallions and baby garden peas. Homemade chili crisp.

19 Likes

Enjoy!

1 Like

Tonight’s Persian dinner, in honor of Nowruz last week and since i was inspired by the bday party i went to, AND because FB memories showed me that i’d made Persian dishes about this time, a few years in a row… was not an unmitigated success! Koresht kadafs - a lamb (or beef) stew with celery and dried limes (which i actually had sitting in my spice cabinet for at least 5 years) turned out delicious, so much so that I wish i’d made more instead of halving the recipe. taught to me by an old Persian BF many many moons ago, it’s full of herbs and spices, and the dried limes just give it so much flavor - a kind of musky citrusiness I also made polo ba tahdig - rice with tahdig, that delicious crusty bottom, and mostly got it right, but it was too close to dinnertime and i couldn’t wait to let it develop more of a crust. still, it turned out delicious and buttery, the way i remember it, with bits of good crunch. The utter fail was a dish i’ve made at least a couple dozen times - kuku sabzi. an extra herbaceous omelet (parsley, cilantro, scallions, dill, mint), it used 6 eggs and almost all our herbs. the recipe calls for baking powder, but I stupidly grabbed baking SODA. the eggs browned and separated from the herbs, and were super spongy. the whole thing tasted more like baking soda than anything else, so into the compost it went. Bummer! need to try it again because i remember making it over and over again and loving it for lunches.

despite how it looks, it’s not burned, it actually looked pretty perfect! :cry:

i will eat more buttery rice as consolation later tonight.

18 Likes

Thanks! They were frozen leftovers from this:

Breakfast for dinner today with huevos a la Mexicana, fresh corn tortillas, salsa Mexicana, asparagus, crema, and refried pinto beans.

18 Likes

Carne Asada tacos (I made chicken for BF). He made guacamole. A quick dinner to cook up after ond of my lectures tonight.

24 Likes

Fusili with Spinach and Ricotta - sauce made with fresh ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, milk and nutmeg

13 Likes

I don’t think I saw whole turkeys but definitely breasts and leg portions, possibly even a half turkey. Hazy memory, sorry (but this was on a recent trip).

1 Like

Oh no! Especially painful given the egg and herb investment.

2 Likes

That looks delicious!

1 Like

Last night I made Cajun “barbecue” shrimp with cheddar heirloom grits and topped with scallions and dressed microgreens. CSA broccoli with oo as the side. Really tasty but my husband was hungry an hour later and ate a meal’s worth of snacks.

17 Likes

LOL! I’m lucky I have any memory at all

Steakhouse at home tonight, a meal my dad would have loved.

Grass-fed NZ strip (reverse seared but a bit overcooked for my liking on one side, I was going for medium rare, half of it was, the other half wasn’t), scalloped potatoes, garlic broccoli, miso butter mushrooms, and some garlic toast because mom had been thinking of it for a few days. She had a beyond burger in place of our steak. I made some pan gravy with the steak drippings, garlic, miso, and a bit of rum that was quite tasty.

(In weird things to be pleased about, I used the same pan to make the mushrooms, broccoli, burger, and steak.)

27 Likes

A nice tribute—a meal in his memory. Keep up the good thoughts there. Do that often. Do you have any special way you make those potatoes?

1 Like

Roasted wee winter squash with garlic butter and burrata with salad and toasted bread. This is one of our favorite meat free dinners (what’s not to love about a whole ball of burrata to yourself and garlic butter?).

18 Likes

No matter how much time goes by, certain meals ring with a “Dad would have loved this.”

Looked delicious. Food is a great memorial.

11 Likes

Chicken Fried Steak with cream gravy. Red skinned mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, cheddar and horseradish. Carrots with butter and orange marmalade.

21 Likes

I want to eat all of this! Do you deliver?

5 Likes

Chinese scallion pancakes – I used chicken schmaltz for the fat. Sweet soy dipping sauce. Chili crisp. Leftover pork and shrimp fried rice from last night.

21 Likes