What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

The rimmed plate is part of a set from Target that we transitioned to I think two years ago now. Time flies, maybe it’s three. I don’t know. Fellow HO’s have seen our progression from indestructible [yet tacky] Corelle to these beauties.

And the other plate on the bottom was brought back by a friend from her native Bulgaria.

2 Likes

Your Target and Bulgarian-friend dishes are beautiful!
Are your Target dishes sturdy and resistant to everyday kitchen nicks and bumps? How do they compare to the Corelle dishes in this regard? (Asking for a friend) :smiley:

1 Like

That wouldn’t give the same level of attention :wink:

1 Like

So far so good on the plates from Target, though I don’t imagine dropping one would have the same result as Corelle. Pretty sure you could throw those things across the room and they may just bounce back at you in mint condition.

2 Likes

Why do you insist on kosher turkey? If I were to cook whole turkeys–which I don’t–I would insist on free-range birds.

A nice fat burger makes me envy snakes, who can unhinge their jaws. :grinning:

3 Likes

Because I think they taste better and have a better texture. Koshering a turkey essentially brines the turkey without me having to take the time or use the space.

6 Likes

Kenji on SeriousEats is all in favor of dry brining, Spreading salt and spices on the piece to be “brined” and then leaving it in the fridge for several hours or overnight. I like it better than brining with liquid. Which is essentially what you are doing. But I’d still prefer it with a free-range turkey.

Tonight’s dinner was a basa fillet curry.

13 Likes

Burgers! Point Reyes blue cheese and sauteed mushrooms on top. Mushrooms were cooked with garlic, shallots, thyme, dry sherry and soy sauce and finished with a little (lot) butter.

20 Likes

Lazy dinner of Aldi rotisserie-style pulled pork with assorted BBQ sauces on the side, Aldi sweet corn with shallots and butter & Penzey’s Mural of Flavor seasoning, and Aldi mac n cheese. Perfect for a Monday night.

16 Likes

gorgeous! i haven’t made pibil in a while…

2 Likes

Char siu and shrimp fried rice with eggs, scallions and baby garden peas. Homemade chili crisp.

19 Likes

Enjoy!

1 Like

Tonight’s Persian dinner, in honor of Nowruz last week and since i was inspired by the bday party i went to, AND because FB memories showed me that i’d made Persian dishes about this time, a few years in a row… was not an unmitigated success! Koresht kadafs - a lamb (or beef) stew with celery and dried limes (which i actually had sitting in my spice cabinet for at least 5 years) turned out delicious, so much so that I wish i’d made more instead of halving the recipe. taught to me by an old Persian BF many many moons ago, it’s full of herbs and spices, and the dried limes just give it so much flavor - a kind of musky citrusiness I also made polo ba tahdig - rice with tahdig, that delicious crusty bottom, and mostly got it right, but it was too close to dinnertime and i couldn’t wait to let it develop more of a crust. still, it turned out delicious and buttery, the way i remember it, with bits of good crunch. The utter fail was a dish i’ve made at least a couple dozen times - kuku sabzi. an extra herbaceous omelet (parsley, cilantro, scallions, dill, mint), it used 6 eggs and almost all our herbs. the recipe calls for baking powder, but I stupidly grabbed baking SODA. the eggs browned and separated from the herbs, and were super spongy. the whole thing tasted more like baking soda than anything else, so into the compost it went. Bummer! need to try it again because i remember making it over and over again and loving it for lunches.

despite how it looks, it’s not burned, it actually looked pretty perfect! :cry:

i will eat more buttery rice as consolation later tonight.

18 Likes

Thanks! They were frozen leftovers from this:

Breakfast for dinner today with huevos a la Mexicana, fresh corn tortillas, salsa Mexicana, asparagus, crema, and refried pinto beans.

18 Likes

Carne Asada tacos (I made chicken for BF). He made guacamole. A quick dinner to cook up after ond of my lectures tonight.

24 Likes

Fusili with Spinach and Ricotta - sauce made with fresh ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest and juice, milk and nutmeg

13 Likes

I don’t think I saw whole turkeys but definitely breasts and leg portions, possibly even a half turkey. Hazy memory, sorry (but this was on a recent trip).

1 Like

Oh no! Especially painful given the egg and herb investment.

2 Likes