What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

This all looks fab (including the cat). Bravo for getting such a nice skin on the roasted thighs. Mine never looks that good.

1 Like

For husband’s birthday; (Pigeon) peas and rice, "brown stew meatballs ".

21 Likes

75* - Sunny - no breeze. Grilled out some burgers and buttered buns. Chili cheeseburgers tonight. Wolf brand chili. Avocado and Lay’s potato chips.

17 Likes

Spaghetti with roasted tomato sauce and Italian sausage. Creamed Spinach.

19 Likes

It’s always their blankies

3 Likes
5 Likes

Leftovers + fridge dive.

15 Likes

Cubano Chicken Legs with Peppers, Tomatoes, and Citrus - chicken legs marinated overnight in a mixture of orange and lime juice and zest and plenty of garlic and oregano. Next day braised with onion, red, green and piquillo peppers, chickpeas and tomatoes in the marinade. Served with a salad of cucumber, jicama and avocado
From the rarely mentioned cookbook “Braise” from Daniel Boulud (and Melissa Clark) - which we like quite a lot

13 Likes

And tonight’s pretty quickie dinner. Stir fry of super tender/super thin wagyu beef (or so the package said) cut for hot pot, ginger/garlic with baby bok choy and scallions, cilantro tossed in at the end and topped with shallots I fried until crispy. Sauce was leftover soy saucy/scallion/garlic/red chili from something the BF made a week ago - to which i added a little shaoxing wine and cornstarch. Gingery and delicious, we augmented with sriracha and a little kecap manis at the table. This turned out nice in the wok! my plating skillz, of course, ain’t the BF’s, but we gobbled this down. With fresh noodles from 99 Ranch.

20 Likes

8 Likes

I noticed recently that Trader Joe’s actually carries kosher turkey.

Tofu with tomatoes? Is that sort of like the Taiwanese egg dish?

Quickie meal with Thanksgiving vibes (I had a craving): schmaltz-basted peppercorn and sage turkey tenderloin, jellied cranberry sauce, CSA Brussels with garlic and walnuts (roasted under the poultry), turkey Stove Top dressing doctored with sauteed celery and onion, and jarred turkey gravy doctored with herbs, soy sauce and schmaltz.

22 Likes

Imagine if ipse would simply include the description along with his pictures!

Too easy/economical?

4 Likes

Happy anniversary, I miss the photos of Mrs. P in her finery. And you.

3 Likes

Yum. I’m feeling the vibes.

1 Like

Yes.

Hmm, not necessarily.

1 Like

Fried Rice — shrimp, flowering cauliflower stems, shallots

I make a lot of fried rice and the fish sauce and white pepper is a favorite and that’s what this was. I was using up some flowering cauliflower stems and rice was from making some short grain for my gf’s leftover Sundubu-jjigae from My Tofu House. Added some Argentinian shrimp. Oh and served with vinegared serranos (and the vinegar).

She likes a lot of the peppers:

18 Likes

I’ve seen kosher chicken at the one closest to me but not whole turkeys. I’ll have to look more carefully. Thanks for the tip.

The rimmed plate is part of a set from Target that we transitioned to I think two years ago now. Time flies, maybe it’s three. I don’t know. Fellow HO’s have seen our progression from indestructible [yet tacky] Corelle to these beauties.

And the other plate on the bottom was brought back by a friend from her native Bulgaria.

2 Likes