What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Thank you @ChristinaM and @Miss_belle !

2 Likes

That quiche is stunning! It looks like Spring in a crust.

4 Likes

Bringing up the rear. Brought home a prepped dinner from a local, non-chain grocery. Added a totally retro salad mix from the salad bar. I was disappointed they didn’t have iceberg lettuce, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Mom made Pastitsio and Spanakopita pinwheels last night. Unbeknownst to us, yesterday was Greek Independence Day (my Greek coworker informed me when I mentioned dinner). So to all my Greek friends, “Opa!”

26 Likes

Happy anniversary! Dinner looks wonderful!

1 Like

That whole quiche picture is a thing of beauty! Love the quiche ingredients.

Yay, Mom! That’s a great looking meal!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s a Martha Rose Shulman recipe from NYT (here). I look forward to making it every spring.

1 Like

Your plating is always so exquisite—the neutral wicker background sets off the plate!

1 Like

Those pinwheels…I’m going to have to try that! Your plating is also wonderful to view; the texture of that rimmed plate is interesting.

1 Like

Happy anniversary weekend to you both!

1 Like

We had pasta for dinner tonight.

Vegetarian was ravioli primavera, which either bombed because my mom apparently does not love peas in things (according to my sister but news to me, because I know I’ve seen her eat and put peas into plenty of things), or was fine and it was mom’s current dinner capacity that I was reading too much into (she ate about as much pasta tonight as pizza last night, but I had more vegetables in the mix with a bit of spinach, peas, and roasted cauliflower).

Non-vegetarian was a riff on white Bolognese which turned out better than I expected for missing a bunch of ingredients. I added pureed cauliflower stems to the sauce, which melted in without impeding the outcome. Roasted cauliflower on the side, as well chicken wings and other bits and bobs I found in the freezer, and pan-roasted with garlic and scant italian seasoning.

20 Likes

8 Likes

I follow way too many chefs/food-related accounts on Instagram, with the intention of adding variation to our meals. One of my favorites is @ruhamasfood. Ruhama Shitrit focuses on “Easy, Healthy, & Delicious Mediterranean Food”. She recently posted this Ras El Hanut Chuck Roast, which looked good and since I didn’t think I’d ever cooked chuck roast, I decided to try it. It was easy and delicious. I had to make a few changes - I omitted the celery root as I didn’t have any and added carrots because I did. Now I want to try the many other of her recipes I have saved.

19 Likes

I’m sure my Jewish grandmothers are getting ready to strike me with lightning bolts, but I started using chuck roast in place of brisket a couple of years ago. It’s always available, way cheaper, and I like the taste better. Blasphemy!

10 Likes

Chuck was a frequent item on our menu for Shabbat

5 Likes

last night at my sister’s: miso/mirin/sake marinated trout, with spicy kewpie pre-broiling, garlic & ginger rice, made with my fatty-fat-fat chicken broth, garlicky/gingery baby bok choy, and a salad with little gems, radicchio, endive. a few mishaps: forgot the frissee for the salad, my sister’s oven wouldn’t broil so the salmon didn’t get those nice caramelized spots and the skin didn’t crisp, and i almost burned the rice! (well, i did burn the bottom but salvaged the rest.) But still, all quite delicious.

20 Likes

I’ll have to ask my mother whether she ever cooked chuck. I’m pretty sure she cooked brisket but I don’t remember chuck. She very well may have but I gave up red meat at 18, and only started eating it again after about 30 years. I’m sure I didn’t pay much attention when I still lived at home.

Shitrit suggested this for Passover but I’ve already planned on making a turkey since I can get a kosher one at special price. We don’t keep kosher but only eat kosher turkeys.

1 Like