What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

In the previous Millennium we were sitting on the Blue Line for a way out of market (not NHL city) pre-season game and during warmups only the glass separated us from No. 99. Our companion remarked: “He’s a little guy.” (Takes up a lot of room on the scoresheets and record books though.)

1 Like

I made chicken Cordon Bleu casserole in the Instant Pot. My DH made a nice sharp salad alongside. I had a glass of CA Gewurztraminer.

22 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was peanut butter noodles with baby corn and snow peas.

15 Likes

That alone would bring me in…we are a Korean family who played/love hockey.

Made moo ping with leftover pork loin chops (though butt or shoulder chops or country-style BL ribs would likely be better), and an HO air-fryer recipe for Chinese eggplant that’s slathered with a sauce of chopped scallions, garlic, ginger, black vinegar, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, sriracha & sesame oil.

To augment dinner & add a fresh element we ordered som tam from a local Thai for takeout. We usually stick to a different place, but we were lazy and this place is closer. We’d not had their food since our first and last visit many moons ago, but since I’d heard you can now order “Thai spicy” food we gave them another shot.

The portion was a little meagre compared to the other place, but brought the heat. Unfortunately, still too heavy on the sugar for us, and not a hint of dried shrimp or fish sauce.

18 Likes

Big ol’ shrimp fest tonight. I delved back into exploring Maharashtrian recipes while BF was out drinking with work colleages. Two recipes - Mumbaiya Butter Garlic Prawns and Marathi Kolambi Masala. I also had some leftover vegetable pulao and some steamed broccoli with salsa macha. I left the table well stuffed and plenty of leftovers to bring to work for lunch tomorrow!

20 Likes

Leftover 15 Bean Soup. Toasted homemade baguette.

16 Likes

The pile on my plate is a chili size. Ground beef patty, diced onion, garlic, poblano pepper, cilantro and beaten egg. Seasoned with chili powder, cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano and then grilled. Served over grilled sourdough and topped with Texas BBQ beans from a can, onion, sharp cheddar and cilantro. Salad of mixed greens, cucumber, avocado, green onion, ranch dressing,Tajin. Wine.

18 Likes

Turkey leg, broccolini, tots, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

22 Likes

Munchies and adult beverages in front of the TV - Spinach Maria and tortilla chips!

21 Likes

I was planning on takeout pizza but got the St. Patty’s cooking bug at 3:00 p.m. Ended up making Irish soda bread (subbing whiskey-soaked raisins for the savory stuff). We brought that over a friend’s place to be devoured with lots of butter. I also made a Guinness beef pot roast that will be enjoyed tomorrow - too full of snacks tonight.

22 Likes

Cinnamon-and-cumin-spiced lamb meatballs over lemony Greek rice. Marinated olives and feta. Baby garden peas.

17 Likes

Wow. Figured I’d be tenth in line of boring CB &C dinners. Here’s mine along with pintos made with crispy salt pork. Sour cream horseradish sauce. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!:shamrock:

19 Likes

Yeah 'tis Saint Patrick’s day, where’s all the corned beef. My corned beef, colcannon made with brussels sprouts and a blob of butter, glazed carrots, mustard and horseradish. Irish flag salad, mixed greens, onion. cucumber, avocado, blood orange, blue cheese and pistachios. Dressed with evoo, white vine vinegar, garlic, honey dressing. Guinness extra stout.

22 Likes

A lovely non-St. Patrick’s Day dinner at Dali with a friend whose birthday was last weekend.

Sangria, and lots of it

Tapas were Creamy Squid Ink Black Rice and Garlic Alioli with Crispy, Deep-Fried Squid, Patatas Bravas, Lamb Chops with Peach Sauce, and Duck with Berry Sauce (too dark for most pictures).

The potatoes and lamb were our nod to Ireland.

Churros for dessert with with warm chocolate sauce and Dulce de Leche sauce. And Cuarenta y Tres.

20 Likes

No CB here - take-out pizza and the BF’s salad!

Happy Friday, y’all…

20 Likes

To corned beef or not to corned beef? That is the question. Well, this year, the answer would be no. To me, its ok-- not a huge fan but I’ll do it for the occasion. BF does not like. Mom is same as me, but has an ancient slow cooker recipe that she dutifully made almost every year. I worked semi-late, so just BF and I tonight. And I’ve realized the only cabbage I truly like is in spring rolls and coleslaw. No big loss.

Let’s start with the booze: Guinness for BF and a “Dubliner” for me: Proper 12 Irish Whiskey, Grand Marnier, sweet vermouth, orange bitters, and of course, a green cherry.

I needed a strong drink. Short drive home from work and was nearly killed (no exaggeration) when a car coming the opposite direction literally drove into my lane head-on only to turn off last second. I slammed on the brakes. My belongings on the passenger seat hit the window and my heart ended up in my throat. St Patty’s Day is like NYE: I’d rather drink at home. With all the driving apps at one’s disposal, there really is no excuse to drive drunk (if there ever was, ever).

There was food.

Bangers and Mash. Guinness onion gravy (fantastic). Mom’s Irish Soda Bread. We subbed roasted garlic chicken sausages and after adding the gravy, honestly, you couldn’t tell the difference. The mashed had Irish cheddar and horseradish. Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

Any fat/calories spared by using chicken sausage was lost by the cheese and TPSTOB in the potatoes and what was slathered on the bread. :rofl:

26 Likes

Carnitas tacos with guacamole.

21 Likes

No corned beef for me this year . Turkey soup given to me from new friends. Fishing guide and wife . Im being taken Fishing tomorrow. Trading work . Splendid. Cheers .:wine_glass:

16 Likes

@gcaggiano That sounds like a scary ride home. I’m glad you’re okay. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

5 Likes