What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Thanks. I took a closer look at the photo and now realize I’d been focusing on the shrimp for context. When looking at the cut celery instead, it brings the relative sizes better into view.

Still, dat price!

I do know what you mean about feeling it might be rude to take someone’s time and then not buy anything.

2 Likes

WTH??? I just paid $23.99/lb. at Wegmans for wild caught local sea scallops. But a quick search online for hand-dredged Nantucket bay scallops show a price of $67.50/lb. So maybe that price isn’t far off. Still made my jaw drop.

1 Like

I tried to remember if I’d ever paid more per pound for anything, and all I could come up with was ikura (definitely >$60/lb, but you don’t need much of it). Of course, there’s also the shelled stuff I buy, like uni and mussels, deceptively pricey because you’re paying for the non-edible part, too.

I’ve never had bay scallops at a restaurant where they were not little bullets. I asked the manager who was serving us in an Italian restaurant whether the scallops in a seafood risotto were sea scallops or bay scallops. He said sea scallops, so I ordered the risotto, and was served bay scallops in hard rice. I questioned the raw rice, which made him displeased, so I didn’t question the scallops as he looked like one mean character I did not want to cross.

1 Like

This ancient picture gives you some idea of the size - compare to the lemon wedge. I think Peconic bay scallops are bigger than other bay scallops, the ones that are about the size of a pencil eraser and cook in negative ten seconds.

4 Likes

To try and combat the cold here (when I got up, it was -9F and I think the high today was 12F), I braised beef cheeks and short ribs with chiles and garlic. We had fantastic tacos for dinner. Homemade roasted tomatillo and serrano salsa to go with!

23 Likes

55* - sunny and breezy. Hamburgers and buns on the outside grill tonight. Used Saltgrass steak seasoning. I don’t think it’s all that. Beanies and weenies. Sliced up beef hotdogs and sautéed in butter. Add a can of pork and beans. A little brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce. Jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, topped with Colby/Monterey jack and bacon.
Potato chips and avocado.

15 Likes

Okay, I’ll bite: “liberties” with the “dip recipe?” With what did you start…and end?

I made the maple harissa feta pine nut eggplant recipe in this article tonight, frying the eggplant, adding leeks and a Cubanelle. Will make it again, and will try the feta-harissa-maple -dill with other vegetables.

6 Likes

Holy guacamole! My favorite fish place has locally caught dry scallops for $25/lb. They are probably caught less than 10 offshore from my house. I love seeing the prices for fluke. We probably have 10 pounds frozen right now. If you don’t count the cost of the point they are pretty cheap.

4 Likes

Haircut Day.
Which means Wegmans for after.

A mini re-stock of the current available freezer space (without the chest freezer availability) and included the start of a mini-Super Bowl Sunday meal. The rest will come together this week.

But scallops were required for tonight.

I went super-simple: dried on paper towels, seasoned with s/p and pan-seared in butter with minced shallots and a splash of white wine.

Herbed Basmati rice (with dried tarragon and both fresh and dried minced parsley) with buttered asparagus alongside.

Yup. Wine alongside as well.

27 Likes

Just about my favorite way of preparing many dishes.

And this bit, as well.

6 Likes

That’s the only way I will ‘do’ scallops.

1 Like

It’s really the best way to bring out their natural sweetness and true flavor.

3 Likes

Potato, onion, asiago frittata… before it falls. :neutral_face:

27 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

Roasted potatoes and onions, with Polish sausage, on a bed of lemony greens. Courtesy of Food & Wine. Excellent!

Spuds and shallots from the garden.

23 Likes

Oh, yum!

1 Like

Turkey pot pie with Pillsbury flaky biscuits. Mixed greens salad, yellow baby bell, pickled beet, green onion, blue cheese, ranch. I still have 1/2 a turkey breast left. Bourbon, you betcha.

25 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like