What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Ohh, I am sorry your travels got off to a bumpy start, but hope that it smooths out and you have no trouble after that.
Any chance of a fresh meal in your current airport?

1 Like

Mrs. P made Cajun dry rubbed country ribs with an ugly delicious shrimp, Andouille sausage, onions, and peppers in a heavy cream sauce. It had a nice kick to it from the sausage. We also had TJ’s sweet potato fries. It all went great with an excellent inexpensive Malbec.

21 Likes

Lentil and kale soup with chicken. The Washington Post recipe calls for sausages, but I used ground thighs as that’s what I had in the freezer. Easy and nourishing

Ciabatta rolls on the side. Kale and carrots from the garden.

20 Likes

With a bit of education from @Saregama, I started making biryani rice the other day. Tonight, with my vegetarian daughter home from college for the weekend, I made this dish from Swasthi’s.

Everyone loved it. However, someone above said something about biryani being “easy” once you have all the herbs & spices, and I have to disagree.

This was one of the more involved recipes I’ve made. Was it worth it? Yes, yes it was. No question. It turned out wonderful and everyone loved it, as mentioned above. But it shure weren’t easy!

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/veg-biryani/ (Recipe and directions)

How it looked post-dum steaming period:

How it looked on plate:

For reference, in this one the veg was coined carrot, sliced green bean and cauliflower, peas, and potatoes. Butterflied serrano peppers for kick.

Next time I’ll skip the potatoes and add a very small portion of sliced tomatoes atop the bottom layer of rice. (I layered rice then cooked veggies then more rice for the dum cook. Also I used coconut milk instead of yogurt due to my vegan daughter - when she’s not here I’ll def prefer yogurt.)

26 Likes

we had Nduja in the freezer so we looked around for recipes and found a simple one for spaghetti and fried breadcrumbs. BF took the helm, and while the recipe I liked had broccoli rabe or broccoli in it too, since we didn’t have either on hand the BF left it out. I think it would have made the dish much better but i wasn’t cooking. The recipe called for lemon zest and lemon juice, and we both felt the final product was too lemony for our taste, but it was still a pretty tasty dish - love those crunchy crumbs on top. he also made a salad with the TJs baby cauliflower.

20 Likes

WFD last night was a Parsi meal with NYC Onions.

Tonight, after a late lunch of leftover Dhansak and rice from that, I went “light” with a chicken sfeeha (that I bought from the lebanese bakery on the way to the restaurant), labneh, roasted squash, and fermented chile paste.

24 Likes

DH made dinner. He had made a good Berbere powder some time ago, so we get occasional tranches of good Ethiopian food.

Last night was Misir Wat (red lentils) and Atakilt Wat (cabbage, potatoes, carrots).

With (cauli+white) rice since had no alternates.

Tasty and warming on a chilly night.

23 Likes

We took a day trip to Montauk, and I thought I’d pick up some bay scallops, 'cause they have to be cheaper at the source, no? Hahahaha. No. Expensive scallops, cheap (from Trader Joe’s) shrimp. I’m not sure the scallops were worth - cough - $60/lb, but they were very good.

IMG_6391

And a steamed artichoke with avocado cream. A little unorthodox, and I took many liberties with the dip recipe, but I’ve no complaints about this.

IMG_6389

19 Likes

@CCE That looks delicious!

BLASPHEMY!
j/k - but potatoes are my favorite part of any biryani, nothing soaks up all the flavors quite as well!

4 Likes

Look like sea scallops. But even so - $60/lb is like Yowza Territory for me.

3 Likes

They are pretty big for bay scallops, but not as big as sea scallops. I got myself in a situation where I had asked to see a bunch of stuff in the fish market (where I was the only customer), so I didn’t want to walk out with nothing. I got a half a pound. And a couple of fluke fillets. The prices were kind of insane - I’d have done better to just stick with the Union Square Greenmarket. Oh, well.

7 Likes

I’m with you there.

1 Like

Thanks. I took a closer look at the photo and now realize I’d been focusing on the shrimp for context. When looking at the cut celery instead, it brings the relative sizes better into view.

Still, dat price!

I do know what you mean about feeling it might be rude to take someone’s time and then not buy anything.

2 Likes

WTH??? I just paid $23.99/lb. at Wegmans for wild caught local sea scallops. But a quick search online for hand-dredged Nantucket bay scallops show a price of $67.50/lb. So maybe that price isn’t far off. Still made my jaw drop.

1 Like

I tried to remember if I’d ever paid more per pound for anything, and all I could come up with was ikura (definitely >$60/lb, but you don’t need much of it). Of course, there’s also the shelled stuff I buy, like uni and mussels, deceptively pricey because you’re paying for the non-edible part, too.

I’ve never had bay scallops at a restaurant where they were not little bullets. I asked the manager who was serving us in an Italian restaurant whether the scallops in a seafood risotto were sea scallops or bay scallops. He said sea scallops, so I ordered the risotto, and was served bay scallops in hard rice. I questioned the raw rice, which made him displeased, so I didn’t question the scallops as he looked like one mean character I did not want to cross.

1 Like

This ancient picture gives you some idea of the size - compare to the lemon wedge. I think Peconic bay scallops are bigger than other bay scallops, the ones that are about the size of a pencil eraser and cook in negative ten seconds.

4 Likes

To try and combat the cold here (when I got up, it was -9F and I think the high today was 12F), I braised beef cheeks and short ribs with chiles and garlic. We had fantastic tacos for dinner. Homemade roasted tomatillo and serrano salsa to go with!

23 Likes

55* - sunny and breezy. Hamburgers and buns on the outside grill tonight. Used Saltgrass steak seasoning. I don’t think it’s all that. Beanies and weenies. Sliced up beef hotdogs and sautéed in butter. Add a can of pork and beans. A little brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce. Jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, topped with Colby/Monterey jack and bacon.
Potato chips and avocado.

15 Likes

Okay, I’ll bite: “liberties” with the “dip recipe?” With what did you start…and end?