What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

I have been thinking about paprikash for at least a week. Needs to happen.

1 Like

Very beige but tasty dinner: weisswurst from the local farm (whose market was closed all of February but reopens tomorrow - woo hoo!), sauerkraut, sour cream mashed potatoes with small butter lake (end of my stick of butter, not self-restraint, heaven forfend).

18 Likes

Looks delicious! I used the end of my stick of butter in half of an acorn squash tonight! I put a blob of orange marmalade in with it.

3 Likes

OMG :star_struck:. That looks and sounds incredible!

2 Likes

I also bought a large bag of spinach. I liked @LindaWhit’s idea of a sausage spinach pizza. I used Stonefire’s flat bread and garlic alfredo, no fresh basil so I sprinkled dried on the alfredo sauce. Salad with oo & v dressing. Wine.

20 Likes

Katsu pork with dipping sauce. Long grain rice. Green beans.

20 Likes

Looks fantastic

1 Like

Always good! Yours looks like it delivers.

1 Like

It’s not October, but there was Chicken Schnitzel…and bacon-mushroom gravy and spaetzle with garlic, butter, and parsley.

And a martini.

24 Likes

Thai-inspired sweet potato curry with onion, garlic, green pepper, diced tomatoes, spinach, red curry paste, coconut milk and vegetable broth. Served over rice

14 Likes

14 Likes

Ive started a new thread for March here:

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about paprikash too, and am looking for a proven recipe. I don’t like sauces thickened with any sort of starch; I much prefer cream. I tried one recipe, but it was not great.

I’ve had it in two restaurants. The first (long closed) used to make it with chicken that was in small pieces, and it was served with dumplings in a creamy sauce. Used to really enjoy it. The second made it with whole chicken thighs, and it was meh!

As a bonus, in the first restaurant I used to follow it with a Mont Blanc, the wonderful French dessert made with chestnut purée.

1 Like

Thanks! Having made this, I now absolutely recommend the addition of bone marrow (if one happens to have it on hand) to tomato sauce. Like mounting something with butter, but better. So decadent.

And…leftovers tonight…

3 Likes

No starch or liquid cream. Just sour cream. Here’s the recipe I’ve used since forever.

Hungarian Chicken, adapted from a 1995 cookbook by Heidi Rabel in Mastercook

4-6 chicken thighs
1-2 Tbsp olive oil, more as needed
1 medium onion – peeled and chopped
1/4 cup small dice red bell pepper (if making more than 2 thighs, I usually up this to at least a half cup)
4 ounces mushrooms – sliced about 1/4" thick (again, use more to taste)
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper (or red pepper flakes)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Your choice of cooked rice, orzo, or wide egg noodles

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in heavy skillet on medium high heat. Cook chicken (without crowding in pan) until crisp and brown on both sides, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan and put into a baking dish that will fit chicken and sauce.

Turn the heat down to medium low, add the onion, and cook it until it is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add first the diced red bell pepper, then the sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.

Add chicken stock, and reduce by half over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients (paprika, s/p, and sour cream, retaining a tsp of the paprika), stirring to mix well.

Pour sauce over cooked chicken in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining paprika and bake, uncovered for 25 minutes.

Serve over steamed rice or wide egg noodles.

NOTES : You will need a heavy oven-proof casserole dish. The only thing Hungarian about this old-time recipe is the Hungarian paprika, which is mellow and lacks the bitterness of other paprikas.

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ll try it next week.

1 Like

Note - I like a lot of sauce (especially when serving over egg noodles), so those ingredients’ quantities were close to the same as the recipe notes, even though I made it for 2 chicken thighs. Granted, one thigh was easily the size of my hand. (These chickens were obviously above fighting weight!) So adjust accordingly re: how much sauce you want.

2 Likes

moved to new thread.

1 Like

Here’s a recipe from a cookbook I have, which seems to be written by Hungarians for an English-speaking audience:

The introduction is charming:

11 Likes

I used the recipe of @LindaWhit to make this yesterday. Sorry, no pictures!
I enjoyed it, but my wife had a problem with the texture, wondering if it was cooked sufficiently. I had used a thermometer to check it, and it certainly was cooked. Nevertheless, today I took it off the bone, cut it into 1/2 inch dice, and after reducing the sauce a bit more, reheated it and served it over rice. Enjoyed it even more. No problem with the texture. Thanks Linda!

And yes, there was wine! A half-bottle of Victoire Rosé Champagne, which I just discovered, which went well with the chicken. I wish more Champagne houses made half bottles, as meds I’m taking preclude my drinking more than a small amount at a time.

5 Likes