What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Veggie stew with all the veggies: leeks, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, green beans, turnips, artichoke hearts. Turkish seasoning. It was tasty but a bit lacking until I added a big pat of butter.

20 Likes

Comfort food was needed - Sole Palak, with flour tortillas on the side for scooping, dipping, taco making… Once again, I used Asma Khan’s Saag Paneer recipe as my guide for the portion with the spinach.

20 Likes

Matzoh ball soup, fully loaded — noodles, chicken, vegetables.

Soup from last week (nice and jellied). Matzoh balls from today (using schmaltz saved from two rounds of chicken soup making).

Ate it while chatting with my college roommate, whose mom’s matzoh balls first got me hooked, and told her my “adjustments” which had us both rolling in laughter: I have jumbo eggs at the moment (thanks to the whole egg pricing / stocking fiasco) so I used only 1 instead of 2 because 2 would have resulted in too wet a mixture, but then I was worried about the underuse, so I added some yogurt as an egg substitute, and then some Eno fruit salt that I use in idlis and similar indian doughy things to make them fluffy.

Result: perfectly fluffy, delicious, decidedly non-kosher matzoh balls! (And I don’t much like egg noodles so I used my noodle of universal preference: capellini.)

Pretty sure her mom would have gotten a good laugh out of it too, and approved that the outcome was as desired.

28 Likes

I didn’t feel like posting my dinner last night. No matter because we had the same thing tonight. Stuffed baked potatoes with smoked brisket, butter, a little BBQ sauce and cheese. Sad little pic. Maybe some salted caramel truffle ice cream for dessert., I’m not much on ice cream but that is pretty good stuff.

22 Likes

Arroz con gandules / rice with pigeon peas from the freezer, bistec encebollado / fried cube steak with onions, and salad of broccolini and tomato.

22 Likes

Marinated leg of lamb kebabs, grilled over applewood and rosemary, and served on a bed of couscous with baby garden peas.

Lamb marinade recipe previously posted here on the kebab thread.

27 Likes

Those certainly are STUFFED! Yum!

1 Like

Louisville Hot Brown. Cucumber, red onion, dill with o&v dressing.

20 Likes

Still lagging & lazy, so another simple dinner was in order: carnitas tacos with the fixins. Carnitas courtesy of Aldi - not as fatty as the last bunch and prolly enough meat for 6 tacos. Hit the spots.

22 Likes

Bwah! That was nearly my exact dinner two nights ago. Even the limes. Carnitas courtesy of Costco. Just used sliced avocado instead of guac. and street-size corn tortillas. chopped onion, cilantro, a squirt of hot sauce. Hold the peppers, please.

2 Likes

BMTA, what can I say ;-D

Dinner last night - bad pic but great meal. Lamb chops with Greek seasoning, salad with peas, shredded carrots, red cabbage and shaved Asiago w/house made vinaigrette, couscous with green onions.

17 Likes

Tuscan soup. Not as good as the first time I made it. I forgot to add toasted fennel seeds early on. Feh!

18 Likes

Lemony bean, chicken and kale soup. Focaccia for dunking.

21 Likes

Thick cut bone in pork chops. Lightly dusted in seasoned flour. Sautéed in butter.Remove and add shallots and sliced apples. Cook a little more until slightly browned. Flame with Calvados, add half and half and reduce. Roasted asparagus with olive oil, pepper and Himalayan pink sea salt.:slightly_smiling_face: He found a 5 pound bag somewhere after Dollar Tree stopped carrying it. Next up is a really ugly Buttermilk pie. Nutmeg on half. And what is up with Pillsbury all ready pie crusts. No matter how you center them it’s still not an even circle.

20 Likes

I have been reminded lately by some of you how much I love Peruvian chicken. I scored a huge bunch of cilantro so 'twas kismet. Blsl chicken thigh with aji verde, fried potatoes, poblano chiles, onions, seasoned with s&p, garlic, pimentón. Mixed greens salad with marinated carrots, Castelvetrano olives, red onion, oo and sherry vinegar dressing. Bloody, oops, Snappers and Sangria.

19 Likes

Nailed it. Dining solo tonight, and that usually calls for a steak. My last few have been overcooked, so I was taking no chances with this one. Seasoned with a Montreal rub and lots of cracked pepper. Side of roasted potatoes and broccoli. They shared the same sheet pan but went in at different times. Similar seasoning, though the broccoli got minced garlic and Pecorino Romano cheese.

To drink: started with a Gordon’s gin and tonic. Didn’t have time to hit the liquor store before work and visited the supermarket’s liquor store while shopping this morning. Outrageous price for Bombay. Gordon’s it was, and its not bad at all. However, I did move on and finally try a Chartreuse and tonic. Not something I would drink regularly given how expensive Chartreuse is, but MAN it was good. I should have taken a pic because the diffused green was beautiful. I can see it being lethal in the summer-- today was almost 60, so almost summer, right?

22 Likes

Smoked white tail deer from a new friend. Fishing guide, hunter , gatherer .Scalloped potatoes. Bagged frozen vegetable mix .Cheers.

super tender . No game flavor. Lol

20 Likes

A fish market opened in town this week! I’m so excited - it means I no longer have to drive 50 minutes each way to buy fresh fish. Sand dabs with brown butter, lemon and frizzled capers with sautéed baby “super greens”. So good!

25 Likes

Love sand dabs!

2 Likes