What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

That’s creative. I love those pretzel crisps. I also love brats, but can’t get any decent ones in New England. Made pork and kraut for New Year’s Day and spent most of it with unpleasant diarrhea so won’t be revisiting fermented cabbage concoctions again. The older I get, the more often I just have to pick my poison.

4 Likes

Gateau de Crepes with spinach and shallots. Typically, I would make a sauce using only gruyere, but I was a bit short in that department today, and added a little smoked gouda. Didn’t hurt.

On the side, baby salad greens with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Leftover: about 1.5 c. spinach-mornay sauce to use up somehow??

33 Likes

Make Mushroom’s St. Thomas! Add that sauce mix with some more spinach, mild Italian sausage with extra fennel, sliced sauteed 'rooms, throw it in a casseole, top with jack cheese and bake at 375° until cooked tgrough and bubbly. Serve with your favorite garlic bread, a light green salad and end with avocado cream pie.

4 Likes

Well that looks scrumptuous.

6 Likes

Stuff canneloni/manicotti/shells? Or make Spanish croquetas.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Interesting plating! :rofl:

2 Likes

That looks great MunchkinR!

1 Like

Thank you! It’s going to definitely get a repeat.

Thank you - it was delicous! I made the extra large version this time so there would be plenty of leftovers. :yum:

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Aw. Those plates area adorbz. For your child?

Last night’s dinner was a Lentil & Vegetable breaded spiral. I modified a recipe from the Enfes Yemek Tarifleri channel I found on youtube. The presenter calls it a “Lentil Fritter”. I put onions, lentils, broccoli and just a little cheese in my version. I imagine you could put any vegetable you wanted inside. I do think I’ll add some chopped tomatoes next time I make these.

Really YUMMY, but I like lentils. They are also quite filling.

I know there is a poster that likes these breaded vegetable creations. If this individual wants the recipe & video, let me know and I’ll post both the video and my version of the recipe.

22 Likes

thanks! the top one is homage to my vegetarian daughter’s praying mantis friend in the backyard, Mr Pringle

7 Likes

That looks totally outstanding!!!

2 Likes

Five days of work in four days is never fun. But I got out of there at a reasonable hour.

Dinner was super simple: a couple large BISO chickie boobies rubbed with olive oil and then seasoned with some Dip Me Daddio seasoning mix from a Maine company called http://hubbahubbafoods.com/. Roasted in the oven at 400° for about 40 minutes until the smaller registered 165° on an instant read thermometer.

The lone side was buttered green beans. No starch.

But damn straight there was wine!

22 Likes

Dip Me Daddio!

1 Like

That was seriously the main reason I bought it at an vintage/antique/shabby chic show i went to several years ago…I loved the name! Plus I loved the name of their company.

2 Likes

Today’s dinner salad is a close variant on the theme. Only romaine, no spinach. Still tomatoes and onions. Cukes and peppers instead of radish. Kalamata. Feta instead of blue. Gyro cubes instead of steak. No photo bc you all are probably sick of seeing my dinner salads! Pita on the side. With toum. Trader Joe’s version.

6 Likes

Leftover gateau with roast pumpkin and salad.

24 Likes