What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

The ajitama recipe I stole from here:

I HIGHLY recommend his videos/website as an excellent intro to ramen and various fried rice techniques.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Chef’s treat! Dry January has come to an end (but hoping to carryover good habits - namely drinks at home only on Friday + Saturday)!

Aviation cocktail

And I just pulled these stromboli out of the oven: cheesesteak (Whiz wit + provolone) and “pizza” (provolone, mozz, Genoa salami, oregano, and a schmear of marinara). Can’t wait.

18 Likes

Turned out very well!

20 Likes

I have to ask - what is an aviation cocktail? And cheers!

1 Like

14 Likes

Gin, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, and creme de violette

3 Likes

That sounds really good! Great wsy to end dry January :slight_smile:

2 Likes

27* and icy here. Pizza night. Pepperoni and jalapeños on his side. Hot Italian sausage, provolone, Parmesan, mozzarella on my side. The crispy, oily corner pieces are all mine. He’ll fix a salad.

21 Likes

A beautiful piece of halibut from our local fishmonger just brushed with lemon oil, lemon pepper, salt & lemon zest, then roasted.

Side of fennel with seasoned panko (oregano, salt, garlic powder, Aleppo pepper), cheese & parsley. Not too shabby for a Toozdee night dinner.

16 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was chicken cacciatore. The casserole included a chicken drumstick, an onion, a clove of garlic, cherry tomatoes, green pepper and some fresh thyme served over linguine.

14 Likes

Tortilla soup was what’s for dinner. Shredded a chicken breast and used a chicken stock made from leftover chicken bones. I keep several jars of stock in the freezer.

10 Likes

Wagyu beef burgers on the grill. Homemade ciabatta rolls.

26 Likes

In a continuing effort to use up items in the freezer, tonight’s dinner was leftover (cooked) turkey from Thanksgiving. “Thanksgiving in January” consisted of Turkey, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, peas and cranberry sauce.

There is one “Chocolate-In-Between” treat left, so Sunshine can have that for dessert.

Bring on February!!

18 Likes

New month’s thread is here:

5 Likes

Off to the liquor to look for creme de violette. The Sprout would love this cocktail. She is a big gin fan and got a bottle of Aviation Gin as a birthday present. No comment on who gave it to her :wink:

1 Like

I love that you have proper fish cutlery!

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

As a child, every birthday and xmas I would get an addition to this set from my uncle, while my older sister got gold coins. I was terribly jealous of her gold coins and honestly couldn’t give two Fs about the cutlery, but now that I am an adult(ish) I definitely appreciate it… although I am down to only 5 dining forks out of a set of 8 :frowning:

There’s mocha spoons, ice cream spoons, tea spoons, and cake forks, too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I count my silverware after parties (well I did in the pre times) so I know what to look for in the trash. It is astonishing how often there is a fork in there. I have had pretty good luck picking up single replacement pieces (although it can take a long time) and it gives me a mission at antiques places.

5 Likes