What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Okay, that only makes me medium mad. I’ll just sit here being quietly grateful that egg prices here are less insane than elsewhere.

6 Likes

Ah a shame, I love that ice cream. I’ve never heard of soda fountains! That must be an American thing that I need to find if I get the chance to visit.

Oh I wish. Just got lucky with a really good store bought one.

1 Like

It still looks beautiful! I imagine the thigh was perfect for the dish.

They were, but such a PITA to cut up into bite-sized pieces. And remove all that icky poultry fat (it’s one of the few things in the kitchen that squick me out; it also often doesn’t sit well with me :face_with_diagonal_mouth:) and tendons and… yeah. I generally prefer to cook BISO thighs, but obviously not for this dish :slight_smile:

I just reallllly wanted that fiery red your dish had :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah I get that, I hate gristle and flab in my meat too so it’s always a process.

Thank you! I’m pretty sure the only things I used for the colour were the paprika (that you used plenty of too) and some tomato paste. Maybe it’s the latter?

1 Like

Continuing with the light-on-my-tummy meals but delicious because everyone else is feeling awful these are my last few meals before I leave too :joy:

Tomato rice, homemade yogurt (one of my daily favorites, there’s nothing like perfectly-set fresh yogurt every day but I am too lazy in my normal life to spend 5 mins making it), tiny, fluffy papads (called Khichiya) — and everyone whose tummy isn’t rebelling had fried jumbo prawns on the side :joy:

No pics because… I forgot.

6 Likes

I used the Turkish red pepper/tomato paste casa lingua acquired a while back for an Armenian lamb & bean stew, and is now creatively adding it to dishes :slight_smile:

It’s a deep, dark red. Maybe I used too much BTB chicken broth, red wine & cream :thinking:

Anyway, 's all good. It was very good & leftovers are WFD tonight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Elmwood Parmacy on College Avenue in Bezerkeley was fab. They could make you a cherry coke, or a lime coke or a vanilla coke.

4 Likes

I like to think I give you a run for your money :wink:

5 Likes

I made a Greekified take on this chicken and orzo skillet - omitted the onion, added bay leaves, subbed b/s thighs marinated in lemon juice and zest, oo, garlic, and oregano, swapped crushed for diced tomatoes, added several cups of sauteed chopped kale, and swapped pearl couscous for the orzo. Topped with parsley, crumbled feta, and a squeeze of lemon. It was good! I might add Kalamatas next time and omit the tomato for more intense lemony flavor (my DH shudders). He made a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, avo, crispy onions, and toasted almonds. Dilled sauteed zucchini on the side.

My son ate everything and tasted the zucchini, parsley, and feta. Something wonderful is happening. :crossed_fingers:t2:

24 Likes

Older child went back to school a week ago. It took us a minute but we commemorated his absence with seafood. Mussels pasta garlic tomato wine.

28 Likes

Red beans and rice with homemade kielbasa. Coleslaw.

Cabbage, carrots, shallots and cranberry beans from our garden surplus.

23 Likes

My favorite

1 Like

Had leftover pork cutlets so i made a couple more katsus yesterday, but this time fried them. Even being reheated a day later, they were so much tastier and juicier than the baked ones. for the little bit of oil used/calories, I’d much rather have something taste delicious. I made myself a little rice bowl with kimchi-style persian cukes - very simple, just gochugaru, a little fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, little sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and a little chili oil. They sat overnight and were perfectly crunchy and flavorful tonight. A little hoisin on the katsu and chili crisp to finish. BF made himself something similar with the other katsu, but with sauteed onions and the leftover egg i made into an omelet last night atop his.

23 Likes

Same.

Stopped at a fishmonger yesterday. Also got squid and cod. We are going to stuff ourselves with sea creatures while our hater is away!

5 Likes

Sous vide beets with dill . Tri tip from the local grocery grilled over oak wood . Steamed potato that I ran through the food mill . My newest and favorite tool . Of course with the butter lake . Cheers .

25 Likes

Breakfast tacos again, fresh flour tortillas, eggs, American cheese slice, pico de gallo, avocado, frozen mini tater tots, various jarred salsas and hot sauces.

27 Likes

Variation on salad nicoise with green beans, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, bacon, white beans, artichokes, romaine salad, olives with a vinaigrette made from all amount of mashed potato, bacon fat, olive oil, mustard, white wine vinegar and thyme

17 Likes