What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Last night was a really easy meal of a steak and ale pie, homemade roast potatoes, roasted carrots and cherry tomatoes with plenty of salt.

21 Likes

looks like your research project in mexico city is paying off!

:joy: I believe this is actually Puerto Rican!

1 Like

ha! awesome. Looks like this steak breakfast dish i get near me!

15 Likes

In my slow, ongoing effort to find a good oven-baked fried chicken, I tried potato flakes based on the Taste of Home recipe.

Mixed the flakes with grated Parm-Reg, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley (because the original recipe is rather boring, IMO) and baked the 2 BISO chicken thighs in my toaster oven at 375° for 30 minutes and 350° for another 15 minutes after spooning some of the fat over the chicken thighs at the 30 minute mark.

The mix needed salt, but it came out pretty well, even though the skin wasn’t as crispy as I would have liked. Panko crumbs might be a good add-in.

Sides were sauteed sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and onions with Bouquet Garni and s/p and Aleppo pepper tossed over all at the end.

Oh yeah. There WAS wine.

22 Likes

Sure looks good - all of it!

2 Likes

I made tonkatsu curry with potato, carrot, onion, and daikon, served over rice with homemade Bulldog sauce. Yum.

22 Likes

Spicy miso salmon and shirataki noodles with chili crisp and cilantro. I started the salmon in a cold pan on the stovetop to render and crisp the skin, then topped the meat side with a mixture of white miso, Sriracha, mayo and a pinch of sweetener, plus a splash of water to thin. Under the broiler for a few minutes and it was perfect.

21 Likes

Italian sausage, peppers and onions. Cheesy garlic bread. And RR’s eggplant main course patties turned into meatballs. They were ok.

15 Likes

Looks good, I guess steak and onions is pretty common. This is the recipe I followed with cube steak marinated in garlic, vinegar and olive oil:

6 Likes

BF made chicken piccata - deboned/skinned thighs and just used half of each thigh, no flattening (that’s why they look like little muffins), with mashed potatoes and his signature butter lake, as well as sauteed endive other veggies. Chicken was super tender. Nice to come home to.

and especially nice that he saved me the crisped-up skins as a snack! :pig: :stuck_out_tongue:

23 Likes

Pan roasted, boneless, skin-on chicken breasts. Caesar salad.

There will be brandied apples for dessert.

18 Likes

Simples tonight. Meatloaf patty with ketchup salsa sauce, baked potato with lots of butter, sour cream, green onion. Spinach, mushroom, pickled beet, red onion salad, creamy Greek dressing. Old Fashioned, wine.

20 Likes

Sorry, I’ve got nothing tonight, except this:

18 Likes

Piccata and mashed potatoes…a novel idea!

I don’t know what to call this: I saw it for a fleeting moment on an Instagram story. I think it said “Crispy Peking Chicken Wrap”. Whatever it is, we have a sliced Panko-coated fried chicken cutlet, plum sauce, carrots, and scallion. The original called for cucumber but not for me–BF had it on his. We also used a flour tortilla in place of what would be comparable to a Mu Shu pancake. This was a highly enjoyable meal enhanced by a drizzle of Sriracha which I added later. We marinated the chicken in soy sauce, Shao Xing wine, and Chinese five-spice before breading. Despite being fried, this meal managed to be refreshing and light. Seriously, give this a try.

24 Likes

Easy curry laksa following this recipe mostly:

But with shrimp broth instead of chicken as I recently made a big batch from a bag of shells in the freezer. And without chicken.

24 Likes

Ilish Bhapa inspired dish with oven roasted cod (not hilsa) in a coconut milk, chili, turmeric, mustard, honey sauce with asparagus, cherry tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro

12 Likes

hmm… i didn’t even think about that. at first he was going to make chicken milanese with the mashed, but then changed it to piccata. it’s good because the potatoes soak up all that butteriness.

3 Likes

I’ve done both Chicken Parm and Marsala with mashed. The Marsala was especially good because of the mushroom sauce.

3 Likes