What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Tonight was reheated meatloaf (with lots of zucchini in the mix), reheated lemony baby cauliflower, and freshly made mashed potatoes with brown butter, buttermilk, and white truffle. My son accepted a bite of mine and then ate a bunch - I was over the moon! He’s been anti potato, except for fries, for ages. Big bitter greens salad alongside.

30 Likes

Sweet-cherry vareniki, which I made and froze (uncooked) last summer. Deconstructed Russian salad - peas, cukes, carrots and spuds from our garden surplus.

There will be some drunken peaches – which I also put up last summer – for dessert.

28 Likes

Sunday roast. Blsl chicken thigh, potatoes, carrots, baby bells, onion, garlic, s&p, paprika, pimentone, oregano, all roasted in duck fat, a sprinkle of parsley. Little gem and tango lettuce, tomato, red onion, snow peas, blue cheese, ranch dressing. a glass of Sangria-ish.

22 Likes

It’s a small cutlet pounded very thin…not so indulgent :laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

so I made the paprikash but decided it was for tomorrow night’s dinner.
for tonight, I made chorizo and egg tacos, with black beans from scratch using onion, garlic, a little red bell pepper, cumin, oregano, & homemade chicken stock. May be the best black beans i’ve ever made, and in the Instant Pot, so they took about 45 minutes start to finish. Also made “green” rice - which isn’t very green because i didn’t have any spinach. Instead I used a ton of cilantro, jalapenos, and scallions, and the reddish color is from a packet of Sazon. Also a little milk in addition to the water, which give it a nice creaminess and a good crusty bottom. Lightly fried tortillas. The chorizo wasn’t the super melty kind, but still quite tasty. Forgot to add the queso fresco on the beans until after I took the pic!

28 Likes

Beef tongue over gnocchi dumplings

24 Likes

Not sure how popular/well known Bud Spencer was in the US compared to Europe but supposedly that was one of his favorite dishes - black beans, bacon, tomatoes, onion, garlic, thyme, cumin, smoked paprika topped with sour cream (with scallions and cilantro)

14 Likes

maybe it was the truffles that enticed him, in which case you’ve created a tiny fancy monster! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at La Lupa in Manalapan, NJ, with our friends, including an awesome Scamorza pizza with pear, smoked fior di latte, prosciutto di parma, and balsamico di modena; sweet potato cappelletti with black pepper honey; halibut; lamb; squid ink pasta with calamari and clams; fried chicken with hot honey; olive foccacia; crispy potato cacio e pepe; roasted Brussels sprouts; chocolate and peanut butter brownies and cheesecake. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and a couple of cabernets.

14 Likes

Pasta with yellow fin tuna . Fried capers , shallots. , Scallions. cheers ., Really, really good.

25 Likes

Salmon cakes made from Friday’s leftover salmon, and green beans with olive oil vinegar , parsley and cilantro.

10 Likes

I’m happy to! I used this https://adamliaw.com/recipe/chicken-paprikash/ with a few modifications. I used breast rather than thigh because that’s what my fiance likes, smoked paprika instead of normal one as it’s what I had. I also thought it was slightly thin so I added a cornstarch slurry at the end just to thicken it a bit more. I hope you like it!

8 Likes

Yes, please. There used to be a Hungarian restaurant here (long closed) I used to frequent just for their chicken paprikash (followed by their Mont Blanc dessert (I love chestnuts)). More recently I tried a newer restaurant for their version, and found that the flavors did not penetrate the chicken. The first place used cubes of meat, while the second used legs; I wonder if that was a factor.

I tried making it myself, using drumsticks in a recipe I found online, and failed miserably.

2 Likes

On a recent drive to NC, we stopped in Richmond VA to break up the trip. Mr Bean is a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives fan (no comments pls) and was interested in trying a place he saw on a recent show - Soul Tacos. By accident, we were just around the block. The food was actually pretty good and he became obsessed with their root beer braised oxtails al pastor. Since I happened to have a package in the freezer, I decided to see if I could recreate them.

I marinated the meat in a mix of roasted hatch chiles (also from the freezer), ancho chiles, fresh pineapple, cumin, oregano, achiote paste and a splash of root beer. After browning the meat I added some tomato paste to the pot to let it brown, then added the meat and marinade to the pot and let them cook for about three hours. I did add more root beer as I thought they needed a bit more sweetness.

Dinner became a family affair. Mr Bean made roasted sweet potato wedges with harissa, lime and cilantro. The Sprout made an avocado and onion salad with feta. A very culturally diverse menu that shared similar flavor profiles and worked well together. Everyone was happy.

24 Likes

I’ll be sure to melt Velveeta into the next batch to counteract any hoity toityness​:laughing::laughing:

7 Likes

RIGHT? Holy hand grenades, when I WANT them? Get outta my way! Her husband was thrilled to have them as well on Saturday. LOL

3 Likes

I decided to look up Coke Al Pastor- quite a few recipes out there. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tacos-al-pastor

Then this other cola-braised taco

One of the best Galbi recipes I made was a recipe someone posted on Chowhound, which used Sprite or 7 Up in the marinade.

I think it’s cool your husband likes seeking out that kind of stuff on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I’ve only tried a few places- one or 2 in Santa Rosa. I tried a cheese-stuffed pretzel at a place in Jackson, Wyoming. Sidewinders American Grill https://www.instagram.com/p/CmcKqxRLoJd/

6 Likes

Bought one today. In the freezer but will try it next weekend. ty

1 Like

Fish tacos with cilantro slaw tonight. Everyone’s happy.

23 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, I probably should have thought of looking for recipes using cola but it never occurred to me.

DD and D is one of our guilty pleasures. Most of the time we have no interest in where he’s going or what he’s eating but every so often something will pop up that looks intriguing. The Soul Taco episode played as we were planning the trip. When someone suggested we stay in Soul Taco’s neighborhood it was a given we’d try to get there.

3 Likes