What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

More freezer, fridge and and pantry clean-out: char siu fried rice with chili crisp.

20 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ, including excellent butter poached lobster; an awesome cassoulet with lamb, duck, and sausage; octopus (split portion pictured), and crab cake. We enjoyed our favorite coconut cake with caramel ice cream and pecans. It all went great with an excellent red blend and Syrah.

16 Likes

Lunch and dinner today.

This weekend is the Makar Sanranti / Pongal festival. So made two kinds of pongal (savory and sweet). Okra gothsu (spicy, sweet and sour stewish) on the side. Urad dal donut shaped Medhu Vadais without onions, and chutney to round out.

The vadai shape is poor but taste was good. Everything came out well. The sweet pongal didn’t get in the picture.

I napped off the carb load in the afternoon. :sleeping:

18 Likes

Steak,

spaetzle with emmenthaler sauce and mushrooms,

, and some spaetzle with emmenthaler, cabbage and mushrooms, heavy on the cabbage. Inspired by the weekly menu planning Thread

16 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, the New Year has been hectic as I’ve been sorting out a new job and all the paperwork it required but hopefully, things will settle down now. I’ve really enjoyed reading and being inspired by everyone’s posts and pictures though!

Last night I made chicken paprikash for the first time. I wasn’t sure if my fiance would like it as the main flavour is paprika so I worried he’d find it bland (he loves spice of all kinds) but it was a hit! The chicken was really nice and moist and the sauce had a great depth of flavour. We had it with rice because we prefer how the sauce soaks in to it as opposed to pasta.

28 Likes

Looks great! I’m always looking for new chicken paprikash recipes. Would you be okay sharing the one you used? Thanks.

2 Likes

I concur! Such bright colors. Makes me crave paprikash, too :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

well that’s good to know, i never thought of that!

beautiful! i was wondering what i was going to make for dinner tomorrow night. now i know.

3 Likes

At a German place called Black Forest: schnitzel, sauerkraut, salad.

22 Likes

Spicy Thai chicken coconut soup.

24 Likes

In keeping with our Dish of the Quarter, Tacos: Potato and cauliflower tacos with tomatillo salsa and toasted pecans! Roasted tomatillo salsa was from COTM, Mexican Everyday.

26 Likes

Sanding, extra spackling, extra sanding, edging (hate that part!) and painting is all done in the half bath. Only needed one coat. :+1:

Got in some quiet “Me Time” for the 2nd half of the afternoon, since I have to work tomorrow, and then made dinner: Chicken and Broccoli Pasta with Lemon, patterned after this link. Left out the hot sauce, and used Aleppo pepper in place of the RPF.

There was wine. In both the meal and in me.

And I told my sister I would post a pic of her late lunch I made her after we had finished in the bathroom: rollups of honey ham, peppered turkey, Swiss cheese and Fritos. And water. Because I honestly had nothing else in my house to drink. Except 1% milk. And wine and vodka, of course. :wink:

25 Likes

Don’t you folks up on the North Shore have takeout pizza and beer?! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

LOL This was a quick Scooby Snack at 2pm or so to tide Sis over before she headed back home to the South Shore. And she doesn’t do much in the way of carbs. And I don’t do takeout. Had this left over from making sandwiches the day before for my BIL and sister, so… rollups it was, at her request. She was more excited about the Fritos (as was my BIL yesterday). :grin:

6 Likes

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I dropped the remote control for the TV and one of the batteries fell out and rolled under one of our major pieces of furniture. All I could find in our extra stash were triple A’s and D’s. So I’m SOL since DH is happy watching basketball in the kitchen. It’s me and YouTube tonight. No snacks in the house…We did have dinner, shared a strip steak and a salad.

8 Likes

Smart lady. There is something ineffably fabulous about that particular combination of salt, corn and grease.

6 Likes

Tonight was hot Italian sausage and provolone quiche along with French onion soup. I had planned on quiche today but was so tired of salad as an accompaniment. Then a lightbulb went off in my head. Why not French onion soup with red wine instead of the usual white And the Cook’s Country idea of olive oil croutons were right on.

24 Likes

That breading looks proper!

I love it. I haven’t had the dish in Germany or even in a fancy German restaruant here in the US, so I don’t know if it’s authentic, but it’s very crispy and tasty. I always tell myself I’m not going to eat it all but I always do :slight_smile:

4 Likes