What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Mrs. P made delicata squash and Andouille sausage pizza with fried sage, roasted garlic, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmigiano reggiano cheese, topped with Mike’s extra hot honey. She used the Stonefire thin pizza crust. It went great with an excellent cabernet.

21 Likes

One of my favorite salads: shaved celery, lemon, anchovy, parm. I added some seared squid, which I’m not sure was a good idea, but it wasn’t bad.

salad

16 Likes

I found a delicata squash in a small market this week. They are not common here, and I love them. I will cut them as Mrs. Paryzer did and roast them with olive oil. salt & pepper - then a drizzle of hot honey. DH is in charge of the lamb chops. He does a nice herbed crust and grills them in a carbon steel pan on our gas cooktop. We will have fresh asparagus in a way yet to be determined. That pizza is to die for!! Kudos to Mrs. Paryzer!!

10 Likes

Grilled chicken, Provolone, bacon, lettuce, tomato, a little red onion, light mayo, and a dab of Dijon. So much going on that I couldn’t even taste the bacon! The tomato was shockingly ripe and delicious for this time of year. Lay’s Lightly Salted on the side-- I find myself enjoying lower salt potato chips lately.

Beefeater rocks with a splash of tonic and an orange slice. Okay, two. Refreshing.

27 Likes

Yellow fin tuna with a light coating of wasabi mayonnaise. Panko coating. Then sauteed. Rice with green onion and dill.Soy sauce added

. Broccoli. Wasabi mayonnaise for dipping . Cheers. Oh ,. I forgot the chopped dill and green onion for the fish . lol.

23 Likes

Maharashtrian dinner, from the COTQ thread. One dish was laborious. Rest were easy. All delicious.

Leftovers tomorrow yay!

11 Likes

I agree. After discovering the lower salt chips, regular chips taste dreadfully salty!

4 Likes

We like gin. A recently departed friend came to visit us a few years ago. He brought me flowers, and brought a bottle of Hendricks and some Indian Tonic Water. We were college classmates in the 70’s and drank Seagram’s gin in the way back machine. We really liked the Hendricks - he garnished our G&T’s with a slice of cucumber. It was refreshing. I’m sad that I’ll never see that dear man again or hear his laugh.

15 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Peanut Butter Lime Chicken Breasts over saffron rice topped with chopped broccoli. I think this was a Jaime Oliver recipe that I modified, but I’m not sure. Any who… it was delicious!! Sunshine really likes this dish, I need to make it more often.

19 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. As someone who has lost a couple of friends and family members over the last few years, I can relate to remembering them through food and drink.

I’m not a cucumber fan at all. I eat almost anything but loathe cucumbers. But I hear Hendrick’s Gin does pair well with cukes as opposed to the ubiquitous lime. I always go with a lime personally but was bored and wanted more vibrancy so I chose an orange tonight. It surprisingly complemented the Beefeater well. The only gin I’ve ever had that specifically called for orange is Bluecoat (due to the botanicals they use), but I may have to try it with London Dry’s more often.

Perhaps you should have a G & T in his honor?

6 Likes

Roasted Salmon, lecsó, parsnip/sweet potato/gruyere gratin, molasses ginger beans, carrot cake

9 Likes

I made slits all over a small pork shoulder roast and stuffed them with slivers of garlic, gave the roast a rub of fennel pollen, smoked bourbon paprika, candy cap mushroom sugar, and various other things, then left it for the BF to slow roast this afternoon. He stuck it under the broiler for a bit when it was done. Super tender. I also asked him to make mac-and-cheese - his first! Very good. A little tomato/onion salad on the side.

(I had ulterior motives for that pork: planning on an italian pork/broccoli rabe sandwich sometime in the very near future… :stuck_out_tongue: :pig: )

24 Likes

Thank you. He was a great friend. I know you are a mixologist. We tend now to order gin martinis with lemon twists instead of olives. And we also love bourbon - had a Manhattan at an Italian restaurant in southern CT with my husband’s sister and her husband. It was the most delicious cocktail I’ve ever had. Garnished with an orange slice but also had orange and bitters in it. I ordered a second one!

6 Likes

Thank you! I thought that the delicata squash season was over, but I was fortunate to find some at Trader Joe’s last week so I bought 5. When I went to TJ’s yesterday they no longer had them. That sounds like a delicious dinner. I love lamb chops.

2 Likes

Spice rubbed pork tenderloin with roasted carrots, fennel, onions, Fresno chile and garlic. Pan drippings augmented with vermouth and butter. Superfood salad from Freddy’s deli. No, I didn’t buy it, it was given to me. Kale and cherry tomatoes with a dozen other things and a pomegranate blueberry vinaigrette. Old Fashioned and wine. Lovely weather went poof.

22 Likes

Indian feast at our friends’ house. Many wonderful dishes - dal, biryani, samosas, garlicky broc, cauli with pomegranate, and two birthday cakes for the guest of honor… who actually made one of them, a fabulous Basque cheesecake. Nice to see folks we hadn’t in a long time. A surprise “guest” happened to be a 2-months old kitten our hostess had found when it was just a couple of weeks old. I spent the better part of the evening in the back room playing with him <3

26 Likes

Good food, drink, memories. Remember the best and forget the rest.

3 Likes

Home again, first meal cooked is comfort food.

Chinese “clay pot” rice with chicken and black mushrooms, cooked in my baby PC without the weight.

Chicken thighs, rehydrated black mushrooms, onions, and scallions, cut up and marinated for a while. Soaked rice at the bottom, broth, topped with the marinated mixture. Steamed at lowest heat for about half an hour.

22 Likes

I’ve done it in my Grill Dome. Also duck, and lamb ribsl

After not cooking in what seems like forever because of the loss of the freezer in the garage (and its contents AND most of the downstairs’ fridge-freezer’s contents) I did a quick shop at MB for some ground beef and a whole chicken. I’ll be able to feed the fridge-freezer with a couple of containers of meat sauce I made this afternoon to replace what I lost, and give me plenty of leftovers for work lunches and dinners early next week until I buy a replacement chest freezer.

Tonight: baked penne with meat sauce topped with grated mozzarella, a quick garlic sourdough bread, and a quick salad of romaine, cukes, radishes, red bell pepper, minced red onion, goat cheese, and Target’s honey-mustard dressing.

There was wine.

21 Likes