What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I had planned on grilling some steaks since it was such a nice day but we ended up having a much larger lunch than I thought we would. No one was really that hungry at dinner time. I had a scoop of black-eyed pea salad and an onion roll. I’m not sure what any one else did.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

26 Likes

A highly improvised Korean dduk mandu guk (rice cake dumpling soup traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day) because I didn’t lay in the appropriate Korean provisions before leaving for a week away in NY. I didn’t have the typical thin ovals of dduk but I had the longer cylindrical ones that are used for a different dish (although Eric Kim recently published a NYT recipe using the cylinders). I had only a few mini pork dumplings that Spring Onion loves, so we gave those to him and B and I had some veggie Thai dumplings. The broth was a soup base used for Japanese soba dishes. And finally, the gim (roasted seaweed) I had which typically tops the bowl had somehow gone bad. But I had nori sheets that I oiled with sesame oil, salted, and roasted over a stove burner (which is what mom used to do). Forgot to add egg to B’s bowl and forgot to take a photo. The mishmash worked out. And now we will are guaranteed good luck for the whole year, correct? :wink:

18 Likes

Wow, delicious and a lot of work!

1 Like

You’re drinking for two now - DH and I are doing Dry January. I’ll enjoy vicariously.

1 Like

Wishing you to get well soon, and a healthy new year when you get there! This Covid thing sucks moose-caca.

3 Likes

Voting for dish and cuisine of the quarter is now open - join us!

1 Like

Thank you.

For the first time, I sped up the stuffed mushroom process by just rough chopping the filling on my chopping board. Even the bread into bread crumbs/small croutons. It turned out fine for a small package of mushrooms. I had some extra stuffing, which went into a lone Roma tomato.

3 Likes

Thin Mints???! Did you buy them recently or were they from a freezer stash? We keep ours in the freezer but they never last long!

1 Like

That’s rough. You’re almost through. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks all! We are feeling better each day, but that of course means the boredom of being stuck at home is mounting!

4 Likes

They were being sold outside my local Post Office. $5 a box, and the box is definitely smaller (volume-wise) than when I used to sell them back in the Dark Ages of the early 1970s.

Im trying to ignore them as much as I can, as I could easily eat a half sleeve in one sitting. I’ve become like my late mother, enjoying just a bit of chocolate after dinner, so 2-3 of them usually satisfies. Usually. :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, you’ll have to find someone else to pick up the slack. At least for this week, we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

We shared 2 steaks to do a taste test: a Prime grade rib eye and a Prim grade T-Bone. Those steaks were tough! Have never had a tough cut of Prime grade beef before. We were so upset. Expensive and tough! Think I am going to call the store about it.

4 Likes

Wish you both a full recovery. My wife had covid after three vaccinations. It was a mild case and lasted less than a week.

2 Likes

I admire your discipline! :smiley:

1 Like

Feel better! I have a friend who’s been testing positive a LONG time as well… it’s very curious.

Forgot to take a photo tonight:

Grilled apple sausages
Green beans
Cole slaw
For mom: “Asian” sweet potato

9 Likes

Easy dinner tonight: half of the pork loin roast was sliced up for pork stroganoff. Served on wide egg noodles with peas and paprika on top. Because that’s the way I roll.

And since it’s virtual Sunday, I had a glass of wine.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/making-the-most-of-leftovers-stroganoff-91298

19 Likes

Dinner tonight are two recipes, courtesy of More Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless (one of the COTM this month):

These are excellent and there are leftovers for tomorrow!

26 Likes

I could not be bothered to start on my resolution to try a new recipe today, so a casa lingua favorite WFD: the NYT Trini-Chinese chicken and NYT stir-fried bok choy. Love the flavors, and everything had a nice heat to it.

The chicken, while delicious, isn’t nearly as photogenic as the bok choy, so that’s all I gots for yinz.

24 Likes