What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

In addition to leftover goose, leftover steelhead coulibiac, leftover stuffing, I made eggplant & feta empanadas and spinach & feta empanadas. I was going to use thawed puff pastry, but it looked a little weird, so I quickly made around a quarter recipe of this Empanada dough , which resulted in 9 empanadas. I didn’t chill the dough and I used an upside down mug to cut circles rather than rolling out individual empanada circles.

17 Likes

Tonight we had leftover pot roast stroganoff over whole wheat egg noodles and leftover red cabbage. No pics.

7 Likes

Yesterday’s Christmas festivities were in the city with extended family – the first surch reunion in 3 years! Appies, drinks, a seated dinner with roast beef and all the trimmings, desserts. Lots of love and laughter.

Dinner tonight was back home with Christmas Eve leftovers: grilled beef, mac-and-cheese, green beans.

It was all delicious!

13 Likes

This is a black mole from Rick Baylis recipe (I am eater not cook) but it was complex and tasty w plantain dirty rice and pintos and sousvide turkey breast Stonehenge.

16 Likes

Beef chili with bacon, yellow pepper, pinto beans and topped with cilantro, scallions, cheddar and sour cream

18 Likes

:sweat_smile: Perfect description

1 Like

My friend is from the town where these are, these are the Rollright Stones…maybe a bit closer :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Jeffery Deaver’s latest.

It’s the UG-ug-liest mee-eal of all!!! :grin:

(Sung to the Staples store version of kids returning to school and the parents happy as… well, whatever analogy you want to use!)

But after errands, some accomplished, some not, it was easy: Dixie Fry mix blended with Lipton’s Savory Herb & Garlic dry soup mix and dried parsley. Two large b/s chicken thighs were tossed in some Kate’s Buttermilk, then shook up with the dry mix, onto a baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, and baked at 400° in the Breville toaster oven for about 45 minutes, flipping twice.

Still haven’t mastered getting it crispy all around, but it worked well enough for my belly.

Sides were completely easy-peasy: Near East rice pilaf with buttered peas and corn on top.

And wine! Because I’m off all this week.

22 Likes

I think it all looks great!

4 Likes

Absolutely scrumptious short rib burger with havarti & sharp 'murrcan cheeses, thick sliced red onion, pickle, iceberg, ketchup & mayo. L&W fries with kewpie and moar ketchup. Simples.

Dessert will be my PIC’s homemade butter pecan ice cream :star_struck: … eventually. That burger was a beast!

20 Likes

Goosoulet! Christmas goose, goose stock, Rancho Gordo beans.

20 Likes

Roasted salmon with a shiro miso cream sauce. Simple side salad with a lemon vinaigrette prepared (her first time making it from scratch – I’m very proud) by my 14 year old Daughter.

22 Likes

Caldo Verde with fresh Spanish chorizo and Alaskan halibut bits from the freezer. Served with cider vinegar for drizzling.

We’re still in holiday dessert mode, so there will be fancy chocolates and Armagnac to follow.

Spuds, onions, kale and bay from the garden.

21 Likes

Guerrilla Tacos continues to be an excellent cookbook - eggplant taco (oven roasted and afterwards seared japanese eggplant) with halloumi cheese, roasted tomato salsa (tomatoes grilled until they are black with jalapeño, grilled onions, garlic and vinegar), toasted hazelnuts, parsley and some lemon juice.

Served with a Brussels sprouts & arugula salad with walnuts and a walnut oil & cider vinegar dressing

19 Likes

Today was spent hitting up the big box stores (Winners, HomeSense, Costco) so I stopped at an atea diner en route for lunch. Despite having a hot turkey sandwich for lunch, and being cold and damp, I had a soup for dinner. I used BTB vegetable broth with edamame, carrots and noodles. Broth was was seasoned with garlic and soy saauce and a Thai green chili was thrown in for good measure.

16 Likes

11 Likes

Is there a small rack you could elevate the food on?

1 Like

Yeah, I thought of that after cooking. I could probably put it on the rack from my small Farberware roasting pan. Next time.

1 Like

I’m always hungry an hour later if the meal was soup, salad, or Chinese.

3 Likes