What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Farfalle with roasted cauliflower (at high heat in the oven to get a nice golden/brown surface), walnuts, parmesan and a garlic sauce (made by roasting two garlic heads at high heat in the oven and mixing it afterwards with olive oil and lemon juice)

13 Likes

In lieu of double posting:

20 Likes

You’ll be keeping away any vampires! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:(Yes, I know it mellows in the oven…)

2 Likes

Why am I still awake? :woman_facepalming:t2:

16 Likes

Same. I read in bed until 1 a.m. and woke up at 6 a.m. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I slept 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. and never fell back asleep but for maybe 5:30-6:30 a.m.:woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Another fabulous, hugely celebratory xmas meal: the last of the crab ravioli from Adli with a sauce I threw together - sautéed half an onion, splash of vinho, RPF, BTB lobster base, 1.5 cups of water (that would be .5 cup too much), crème fraîche that immediately started to curdle when i put it in, then had to fish out again, heavy cream instead, tarrgon, a tiny shake of leftover parm.

Soupy. Salty. Creamy. Crabby. It was fine :neutral_face:

We’re still recovering, so we really didn’t give much of AF.

The Bayley Hazen Blue (not the Stichelton I thought we got) and the Whitney Dolcetto made for a nice cheese course, however, along with fig preserves and a muscadine chutney I was gifted by my Secret Santa :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Sounds great to me! Big fan of the Bayley Hazen Blue, too.

1 Like

It was nice to be able to taste it after a week of nothingmouth :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I had Covid last Christmas and lost my sense of smell and taste for awhile. We dug into our freezer and baked a turkey potpie. I still remember my first bite, the sensation of chewing cardboard - I spit it out. I’m grateful that I recovered both of those senses. Glad you are feeling better and enjoying food.

7 Likes

We had covid in January - thankfully a fairly mild case with a day of fever & 2 weeks of fatigue and mild congestion. No loss of smell or taste, at least not more so than any other random cold.

I have more gigs on Thursday and Saturday & sincerely hope to be ready for that. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Me too, I read until 5:30, woke up at 9:00. What’s up with that?

4 Likes

A bowl of carnitas and frijoles charros, topped with Mexican crema, shredded cheese, chiltepin hot sauce and some avocado salsa.

16 Likes

Too much excitement and/or booze is my guess. Also the falling asleep early killed any sleep pressure.

3 Likes

Must have been something good!

1 Like

Yep - but there is never too much garlic

1 Like

Late lunch/early dinner - Goan Dalicha Ras (Spicy Turmeric Dal with Sichuan Pepper). Getting one more meal for one in before BF returns. I still need to write this up for the October 2022 COTM, Thali. This was a lovely dish that is just coco-nutty enough, but also spicy and tangy (tamarind). The Sichuan peppercorns are a nice, floral background note. I also finished up the last of the dry fried string beans from yesterday’s take out.

17 Likes

Our first foray out of the house (!) since last week Wednesday took us to Aldi where I was hoping to score one of their reduced beef tenderloins, but no dice.

Instead, I grabbed thinly sliced chicken breasts & broccoli for our dinner tonight: chicken piccata with steamed broc & lemony hollandaise. The chicken breasts weren’t the greatest great quality, but it was tasty nonetheless. A good sauce can save almost anything.

15 Likes

Glad you’re up and about. I love everything on that plate!

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was sauteed bs chicken breast, orange and yellow peppers, snow peas and garlic and oregano served over angel hair pasta.

11 Likes