What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Many thanks.

1 Like

Snacky fishy Christmas Eve dinner: salmon roe on cream cheese and endive with a squeeze of lemon; smoked salmon, crème fraîche and dill on blinis; smoked cod liver with piment d’espalette on nori and Nut Thins. I have @naf to thank for introducing me the smoked cod liver which is now one of my favorite “affordable luxuries”. Very similar to ankimo. This prep had a sneaky spice from the piment.
ETA: pix.

21 Likes

Dinner Tonight: A little feast just for me - Patra ni Muchchi (Steamed Banana Leaf Wrapped Fish with Coconut, Herbs, Garlic and Chiles) Also, saffron basmati rice, roasted green beans, and a cucumber and tomato salad. Merry Christmas Eve to those who celebrate!

20 Likes

That is hands down my favorite kind of xmas meal - small bites of seafoody stuffs :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

3 Likes

We’ve not left the house since Wednesday. Friends have been incredibly helpful with helping us out, including shoveling our driveway and sidewalk when the shitstorm hit, and getting groceries for us.

Tonight I made exxxtra-hot Thai red curry with black tiger shrimp, peas & red peppers, a meal mostly prepped with stuff we already had at home, but a buddy of ours was nice enough to grab a red bell pepper for us :slight_smile:

I toasted an entire can of masrae red curry after shweating half a shallot, 3 blobs each of TJ’s frozen ginger & garlic, and 4 bird peppers. Def brought the heat. Added about 1.5 cups of BTB chicken broth, let it boil a bit, then added a can of coconut milk & makrut leaves, a splash or two of fish sauce & a generous squeeze of fresh lime. Peas, peppers, and the shrimp plopped in after I’d turned down the heat to poach gently while the leftover rice from Indian takeout was being nuked.

Hit the spot & we have leftovers for mañana, another highly uneventful holiday :neutral_face:

16 Likes

You really know how to eat :heart_eyes:

1 Like

A favorite! Congratulations to your bf.

1 Like

Fab spread!

1 Like

Oxtail dumplings

17 Likes

Relaxing day.
Lemon Posset made.
Ingredients gathered for Iced Hermit Bars with Candied Ginger.
To be made after dinner and a movie. Or tomorrow morning. We’ll see.

Dinner easy-peasy: Shrimp Scampi over rice with steamed green beans alongside. There was wine.

I enjoyed while watching a classic I used to watch at Christmas time on WPIX Channel 11 in the NYC area when I was growing up: The original “Babes in Toyland” from 1934 (aka: “The March of the Wooden Soldiers”) featuring Laurel and Hardy as Stannie Dum and Ollie Dee.

I found the original black-and-white on Amazon Prime. I know this movie like I know “The Sound of Music,” I’ve watched it so many times. No CGI, absolutely hysterical with the 3 Little Pigs, the Cat and the Fiddle, the mouse with black eyes, the “bogeymen”, and classic Laurel and Hardy comedy.

I’m in heaven.

20 Likes

My steelhead coulibiac (need to work on my lame puff pastry skills)

Shrimp salad

Borscht with uzka /uszka

Noctua Bakery stollen with pistachios. Not traditional but a very nice version.

17 Likes

I made a sort of pot roast/slow-cooked beef stroganoff, served over mini lasagna with peas. Hit the spot.

Cookies and daikon laid out for Santa and his crew.

23 Likes

Heh, I watched it yesterday. I own a colorized DVD but also watched it when I was a kid on WPIX. Hated it when we had to stop watching for dinner.

1 Like

Took us the better part of the afternoon to build the base for it, but our Ciopinno was delicious. Used striped bass DH caught in Cape Cod bay this summer with the shellfish

We have leftovers for tomorrow.

21 Likes

Albondigas soup. Pepperjack and poblano quesadilla. Avocado and radishes.

21 Likes

The cheese factor was over the top with the mouse puppet and the costumes, but then again it WAS 1934! My sister and I reminisced about it on the phone today and I just had to watch it again after so many years. I was glad it was the original B/W (which I have on VCR tape, I believe…I should have it converted to DVD).

1 Like

This evening we celebrate Christmas at home (tomorrow with extended family).

Applewood-smoked tri-tip on the Big Green Egg. An indulgent baked mac-and-cheese made with WSU Cougar Gold cheddar and Velveeta. Garden green beans.

Fancy chocolates to follow, but first a gift exchange. Happy holidays to all!

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a Lentil, Rice & Vegetable Skillet dish. I wanted something vegetarian, as we are going to be eating a lot of Christmas Ham tomorrow.

13 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a Thai cod curry using one of the basa fillets in the freezer.

Something a little lighter in anticipation of tomorrow’s eatfest.

16 Likes

In Germany the big xmas celebration day is always 12/24 and so we had Beef Bourguignon (with a nice sauce made from salt pork, beef scraps, flour, bottle of red wine, gelatin, tomato paste, anchovy paste, onions, carrots, garlic head, dried porcini mushrooms, parsley and thyme sprigs and bay leaves cooked for 3.5 hours in the oven before strained) and finished with cremini mushrooms and pearl onions. Served with braised red cabbage (made with cloves, red wine vinegar and red currant jelly) and homemade spaetzle

19 Likes