What did you eat for Christmas?

Oops! I totes read over that & just assumed you created this!

1 Like

Everything looks delicious! We bought a small prime rib roast and DH was in charge of that. I’ve cooked them before, and could always eat the end pieces but for some reason the way he did it, even those were so rare I just couldn’t enjoy it. When I learned he was also making gravy to go with it, I ditched my plans for a horseradish sauce and scalloped potatoes. I made parmesan mashed instead so I had mashed with gravy and green beans for dinner. Plenty of leftovers - I think I’ll pan sear my portion of rib roast tonight…

5 Likes

Outstanding meal and lovely home! Sounds like a great time was had by all. The olives and artichokes platter can be a treat for another day.

What all out of the spread did your son enjoy?

Repeat-Customer Raccoon must be especially happy with the food and service chez vous.

4 Likes

Luckiest raccoon ever!

3 Likes

I wanna know the racoon story!

1 Like

I posted these over in the What’s For Dinner Thread for the month, but in the spirit of sharing:

Christmas Eve I was solo, so I tried out a new to me steamed fish in banana leaf recipe, Patra ni Muchchi, which was excellent and I ended up making a whole little feast for myself with saffron rice, roasted green beans, and a tomato and cucumber salad.

Christmas Day was just my mom and me and she actually wanted Chinese-American style take out, so that’s what we had. She very much enjoyed it and took home a bunch of leftovers. I adapted this Cupcakes For Two recipe for dessert. The timing on the recipe is entirely wrong. The cupcakes need 20-22 minutes to cook at 350F. I used almond extract in place of the cherry one called for. I turned out to be out of regular, unsweetened cocoa, so subbed in Ghiradelli’s drinking cocoa. The back of the canister actually gives directions for how to swap for baking, so I used two tablespoons of that cocoa in place of the one and cut the sugar in half. Brewed coffee in place of the “reduced-fat chocolate milk”. A pinch of salt added to the batter. I made a bittersweet chocolate ganache that I sprinkled with sea salt in place of the “1 tablespoon of semisweet chocolate” that you’re supposed to spread on the finished, cooled cupcakes. An improperly tempered chocolate topping on a cupcake for my mother? On Christmas? I’m not a monster. The cupcakes were wonderful and BF expressed jealousy from his parents house in Florida, so they will get made again soon.

I hope all that are celebrating this or any other December holiday had or are having a wonderful, restful time with their loved ones!

15 Likes

That looks great!

Thank you!

^ This makes my day, LOL.

And now I really want to try those cupcakes you made after we have eaten our way through the holiday desserts.

3 Likes

That looks really good right now!

They were very good (after all the adjustments, particularly baking them long enough). If you try them, please report back with how they turned out. I like that it is just for two cupcakes at a time. I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but I do get the occasional craving!

1 Like

Thank you! I have a small bowl leftover I may just have to have for lunch :slight_smile:

One of the best lines this year! :clap:t4: :clap:t4:
I would love to read a short story that opened like that.

9 Likes

Thank you! :bowing_woman:

1 Like

Same here…

As for feeding the local wildlife, I put out the fat and scraps from my ham for the local birds. There is also a vulture (in the area) that swoops down and collects the bones. I saw him one year and marveled at his wing span – HUGE. I’ve been told these vultures somehow eat the marrow out of the bones.

3 Likes

Christmas Dinner was a top sirloin filet with cognac cream sauce (my standard for at least 10-15 years), Hasselback potatoes with olive oil, butter, s/p, freshly minced rosemary and dried thyme and chives, and steamed asparagus.

I prepped and cooked while enjoying a 2019 Stag’s Leap Katia chardonnay, and I ate dinner with my trusty Silk and Spice red blend.

Dessert was Lemon Posset with a big-ass blackberry, and some amazing Iced Hermit Bars with Candied Ginger alongside.

I didn’t make Scooby Snacks for a midday nosh, so I’ll do that today.

17 Likes

That looks absolutely fabulous, Linda :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I think it was actually a very plump squirrel - caught him or her on the back deck this AM eyeing a big bowl of…ice. He was brazen and gave me a dirty look when I yelled. Three nights ago whatever it was tore into a half of a casserole we overnighted on the back deck. And last night they went at it on dessert while 20 people were on the other side of the door, oblivious.

9 Likes

Wow!

This guy was going door to door in neighborhood awhile back. I’ve shared it before.

9 Likes

Looks like it’s just about ready to run off with yo crocs!

3 Likes