What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

I think the meat looks great!

1 Like

Thank you!! I kept it rather basic, salt, pepper – sear in my cast iron skillet and finish in the oven. When it reached 130 (F) I pulled it.

2 Likes

A delivery meal from a Korean restaurant resulted in both leftover rice and leftover kimchi, so I made some kimchi fried rice.

20 Likes

Have you tried the reverse sear method before? It’s my go-to for thicker steaks.

I also never seem to let it rest long enough :grimacing:

1 Like

No… I had to look it up, as I hadn’t heard of it.
Yes, this was a thicker piece of meat, so that probably would have been better.
Next time, I’ll definitely give it a try!!
Thanks.

1 Like

Brussel Sprouts and Potato Stew - Brussels sprouts and potatoes are cooked in vegetable broth and some milk until quite soft, a little bit mashed and served with kassler (cured and smoked pork) and some croutons

12 Likes

Where d’ya get your Kassler?

Nice . Incredible talented drummer . I like that . As played behind multiple singers . Whas it time keeping. Not over playing . Dynamics . Swing . Yea now

1 Like

Tonight’s dinnet wad carmelized onion served over fettuccine. The onions were simmered for @25 minutes then I added a little white wine and spinach. Blue cheese was added at the end. The onions and spinach constituted the token vegetables.

14 Likes

German butcher close-by in Moutainview/Los Altos (Bay Area). Would be a nice shop even in Germany - they even make most of their cold cuts in-house

https://www.dittmers.com/

2 Likes

I moved my Christmas Ham from the freezer to the fridge, this morning. I figure it should thaw nicely and be ready to “slow cook” Christmas morning.

Last night I made a homey cheesy chicken, broccoli, and rice casserole topped with crispy onions and shallots. It was really tasty - unfortunately a raccoon found the leftovers stashed outside on our porch irresistible. :cry:

22 Likes

Did the raccoon leave you a five star review at least?

11 Likes

Time for some Brunswick stew!

3 Likes

Or a fork-and-knife?

4 Likes

Y’all are on a roll!

1 Like

Curry Beef on rice.

Miso Black Cod. One batch with white miso, second with dark. Prefer the lighter taste of the white miso marinated. Black cod is such a great tasting fish, really does not need much embellishment.

19 Likes

So you found some?

Sure looks like it :rofl:

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. :slight_smile:

Got 4 black cod and 4 dungeness crab from Costco. The miso cod was flavorful, but frankly I prefer my fish to be just simply dressed. Crab was good, better than the live rock crab we picked off the boat.

Looking forward to the dungie opener on/after January 1st. Happy New Year!!!

13 Likes