What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

Clam dip (with dill and lemon). Potato chips. Rosé. IPA. Happy New Year!

21 Likes
7 Likes

On a liquid diet tonight. Kir Royale for this old cur. I wish everyone a gentle, happy and healthy 2023.

23 Likes

Shrimp tostadas, French dip, potato chips with crème fraîche, caviar, and chives. Happy New Year! :clinking_glasses:

26 Likes

That’s my kind of drinking food! Happy New Year!!

2 Likes

Good morning and Happy New Year, WFDers! I’ve started a new Jan '23 thread here:

8 Likes

Perfection.

My kiddo actually said, while eating that meal, “I like all of these things!” It was such a gratifying moment (I hear complaints most of the time). I feel like we’re turning a corner and he’s a lot more willing to try new foods simply if I say I think he’ll enjoy them.

11 Likes

Playing catch-up and consolidating here rather than on holiday/weekly planning/Westchester NY threads.

Friday: Dinner at my brother’s in Mamaroneck NY. From Fjord in Larchmont, we picked up a beautiful sushi roll plate and shrimp cocktail plate (under protest from me - shrimp are amongst the worst ecologically but I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer) on our way from Boston.

Saturday lunch was a tasty turkey chili that my brother made and leftovers (their fridge is a Jenga of ridiculous leftovers). Saturday dinner was steak, seafood soup, salad, voluminous other side dishes, (can never remember and we forgot to take photos).

Sunday Xmas dinner was more steak and lobster tails that they got from Costco. I didn’t try the lobster but my brother said said they were too salty (no one else wanted to complain/be honest…I am not a Costco fan so kept my mouth shut).

Monday was dinner out for my SIL birthday at Refele. Really good fritto misto. My mushroom pasta was just ok. Needed salt or something. Mom and dad had a delicious seafood stew under a completely unnecessary pizza dough dome and chicken piccata. I think bolognese was ordered, kids loved the meatballs and pizza.

Tuesday through Thursday the 3 of us ate poorly in NYC but our friends apartment had a nice view.

Redemption on Friday when we returned to my brother’s for a Korean feast. We made pork mandu (dumplings) and chowed down on a variety of pajeon (savory pancakes).

Finally, I came home to these:

Happy 2023 my dear fellow Onions!

16 Likes

I can’t imagine trying to cajole a child to eat. I was the oldest and only girl with 5 brothers, grew up on a farm in the midwest. If we didn’t like what was on the table we just went without until the next meal. That was that. I used to slip my cooked carrots under the table to our German Shepherd. Worked out well for both of us…

5 Likes

Grew up in northern NJ and we ate what Mom cooked, or we could make ourselves a bowl of cereal or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for our dinner.

And my sister gave her buttered peas to her cat, WoFat (named after a villain in the original TV series Hawaii Five-O). Worked out for both of them as well. LOL

4 Likes

Kids with sensory issues/neurodiversity pretty often have food texture and flavor sensitivities. One way to think of it is the little person has their nervous system turned up to 11 or 12. Many strengths but also some daily challenges.

11 Likes

Beautifully described.

2 Likes

Such feasting! And beautiful cocottes.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea. https://www.treehugger.com/shrimp-may-be-small-their-environmental-impact-devastating-4858308

1 Like

There are some inland shrimp farms in Ontario and parts of the States, that grow shrimp in a more ecologically friendly manner. Only problem is, it’s hard to find these shrimp for sale as a consumer. Most are destined for restaurants. Planet Shrimp is the name of one shrimp farm in Ontario.
I also buy small frozen wild shrimp from the North Atlantic.
Some posts re: shrimp are in this thread-
AQUACULTURE articles - Hakai Magazine and The Atlantic: What It Takes to Feed Billions of Farmed Fish Every Day - They’re usually just given ground-up fish. One company is exploring a more sustainable alternative: maggots.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear Mrs P was not well, hope she feeling better today & Happy New Year…

3 Likes

Thank you Karen! We appreciate it. She went to Urgent Care today. She has a bad sinus infection. They gave her some antibiotics and some pills for her cough. She must have gone through a whole box of tissues today. Hopefully she will feel better within the week.
Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

4 Likes

Hope the antibiotics do the trick. My PIC’s flu developed into a sinus infection, and he was miserable until the drugs finally kicked in!

1 Like

Thank you! Hopefully the drugs will kick in soon.