What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

BF made Beef Bourgignon a couple of months ago and we both thought it was “good enough to have for Christmas”. So we went the non-traditional route and he made it today. I contributed the mashed potatoes and Green Beans Almondine.

Appetizers included my famous [in my own mind] fried asparagus:

And a toasted baguette with ricotta three ways (top to bottom): honey and almonds, extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper, hot honey and crushed red pepper.

IMG_20221225_153341_681

Drinks were varied. I was gifted a bottle of Bombay Sapphire (and a couple others) so I made a couple of martinis with that. BF had egg nog and beer. Mom had wine and was coaxed into a Rob Roy.

19 Likes

Christmas dinner at the Shore Club

was a success! I ordered a wedge salad to start (no photo since I forgot), a lobster mac 'n cheese as the main, and a trio of sorbets to finish (lemon, strawberry and mango.

17 Likes

Immense. Not emence . Or I should have said .PSTOB .

3 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious!!! :yum:

Farfalle with roasted cauliflower (at high heat in the oven to get a nice golden/brown surface), walnuts, parmesan and a garlic sauce (made by roasting two garlic heads at high heat in the oven and mixing it afterwards with olive oil and lemon juice)

13 Likes

In lieu of double posting:

20 Likes

You’ll be keeping away any vampires! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:(Yes, I know it mellows in the oven…)

2 Likes

Why am I still awake? :woman_facepalming:t2:

16 Likes

Same. I read in bed until 1 a.m. and woke up at 6 a.m. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I slept 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. and never fell back asleep but for maybe 5:30-6:30 a.m.:woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Another fabulous, hugely celebratory xmas meal: the last of the crab ravioli from Adli with a sauce I threw together - sautéed half an onion, splash of vinho, RPF, BTB lobster base, 1.5 cups of water (that would be .5 cup too much), crème fraîche that immediately started to curdle when i put it in, then had to fish out again, heavy cream instead, tarrgon, a tiny shake of leftover parm.

Soupy. Salty. Creamy. Crabby. It was fine :neutral_face:

We’re still recovering, so we really didn’t give much of AF.

The Bayley Hazen Blue (not the Stichelton I thought we got) and the Whitney Dolcetto made for a nice cheese course, however, along with fig preserves and a muscadine chutney I was gifted by my Secret Santa :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Sounds great to me! Big fan of the Bayley Hazen Blue, too.

1 Like

It was nice to be able to taste it after a week of nothingmouth :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I had Covid last Christmas and lost my sense of smell and taste for awhile. We dug into our freezer and baked a turkey potpie. I still remember my first bite, the sensation of chewing cardboard - I spit it out. I’m grateful that I recovered both of those senses. Glad you are feeling better and enjoying food.

7 Likes

We had covid in January - thankfully a fairly mild case with a day of fever & 2 weeks of fatigue and mild congestion. No loss of smell or taste, at least not more so than any other random cold.

I have more gigs on Thursday and Saturday & sincerely hope to be ready for that. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Me too, I read until 5:30, woke up at 9:00. What’s up with that?

4 Likes

A bowl of carnitas and frijoles charros, topped with Mexican crema, shredded cheese, chiltepin hot sauce and some avocado salsa.

16 Likes

Too much excitement and/or booze is my guess. Also the falling asleep early killed any sleep pressure.

3 Likes

Must have been something good!

1 Like

Yep - but there is never too much garlic

1 Like