What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

We had,a staff luncheon at a restaurant near the office today so I had a light dinner. I had chicken wings in black bean sauce and arugula salad with cherry tomatoes.

17 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Sandwich with Swiss cheese, chicken, and ham on potato bread. And a beer.

20 Likes

Deplaned SFO at 6:30 am. Woke up at 3pm to an empty fridge. Slapped together a homey rainy day dinner.

Chicken Chinese herb soup.

Lap Yuk (cured pork belly) steamed on rice.

Pork spareribs with black beans.

Ain’t too purty, but satisfying with a few neat JW Blacks and glasses of cheap bag in box red wine. Good to be home.

20 Likes

My stir-fry got lost in the wrong month :grimacing:

Stir-fried rice to use up leftovers: turkey, peppers, peas, rice, bok choy, lotsa garlic, onions, ginger, scallion. I kept adding sambal oelek & finally a splash of habanero sriracha bc I really wanted some heat tonight. Still coulda used more :wink:

17 Likes

Spaghetti with roasted vegetables, basil, and pecorino

23 Likes

Stir-fried rice to use up leftovers: turkey, peppers, peas, rice, bok choy, lotsa garlic, onions, ginger, scallion. I kept adding sambal oelek & finally a splash of habanero sriracha bc I really wanted some heat tonight. Still coulda used more :wink:

10 Likes

And I just moved both your and @Amandarama 's #87 posts over here. Oops! Oh well, double the tasty meals for both of you!

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

I did have a second helping, so I suppose this works perfectly :wink:

2 Likes

How did you open the oysters? I’m no good at it.

I can’t find the video that taught me, but this one looks like what I do, except I don’t wear a glove - I fold a dish towel into a long, 4" strip and make a palm guard out of it. Note that there’s a pretty steep learning curve, and this guy makes it look like no big deal. You have to find the access point in the hinge, which takes practice. I watched Jacques Pepin, and a guy named Shucker Paddy a number of times, but I worked up quite a sweat shucking my first few dozen.

6 Likes

Thanks.

" Pan fried Chilean Sea Bass Steak with Pizzaiola Sauce "

The Italians love using this ’ Pizzaiola Sauce ’ ( EVOO, butter, anchovies, basil, capers, garlic, shallots, tomato paste, white wine ( I added some Mirin as well ) on their steaks.

Today, I saw ‘fresh’ Chilean Sea Bass on special ( X’mas? ) at Costco, so I bought this small ‘cheapest’ piece…still $16!!

For dinner, slowly, pan fry it with EVOO & butter to crispy brown! Sooo delish with the tangy and sweet sauce!.. another good use of my home-grown Basil!😋😁👍👌

17 Likes

We had a Mediterranean fish stew using some striped bass DH caught in the bay and froze in October. The green blob at 10:00 is a Bouquet Garni that got fished out…this was delicious and enough for leftovers.

22 Likes

“Sunshine” (girlfriend) is having a “Girls Night Out” with a bunch of her girlfriends. So, I’m solo and going back to my college days!!

16 Likes

For peeps who never made a whole turkey we sure have a lot of leftovers :joy:

Turkey spinach quesadillas with a 4 Mexican cheese blend (sadly, Tillamook was completely cleared out, so Kraft had to do), cilantro, sour cream, store-bought-but-made-on-site-and-actually-quite-good guac, and today’s ADVENT CALENDAR HOT SAUCE: jalapeño hot sauce. Not as hot as the ones we still had leftover from our last taco run, but a decent kick. Salad on the side. Positively stuffed :yum:

20 Likes

Quick meal tonight. Boneless center cut pork chop seasoned with s/p and seared on both sides for a couple of minutes in hot olive oil. Removed, added a bit more olive oil to the pan and added thinly sliced red onion and a peeled and sliced apple.

Sauteed that for a few minutes, seasoning with dried thyme, dried cracked rosemary, and rubbed sage, then added a blend of 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp of Dijon mustard and stirred to get all the tasty bits off the pan.

Added the chop back in, spooned some of the softening apples and onions over top, covered and cooked on medium-low until the chop was done and the sauce was reduced.

Sliced and served over leftover sour creamy mashed potatoes with asparagus alongside.

Wine.

26 Likes

We’ve been gnoshing on a holiday ham all week. Here’s the tail end of it in a bean and veggie soup.

Onions, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin and peas from our garden.

18 Likes

A couple of Wednesdays ago I got a terrific caldo de mariscos at a little hole in the wall Mexican place in Brooklyn. Naturally I became obsessed with replicating it, so I gave it a shot. I got reasonably close, but Pronto Cafe’s version is definitely better.

soup

20 Likes