What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

There’s a whole range of acceptable / desirable textures for turnip cake, and it turns out I prefer mine on the softer side, while these were a bit firm so I’ll be experimenting further.

Didn’t stop me from nibbling away, though…

Looking at the pics on their site, the shrimp portion looked very generous (12 per plate) - then I scrolled down to ingredients and saw it’s 10oz of shrimp for 2 servings. The raw pic and skillet look right, and yet the plated portion somehow doubled, lol.

I used to enjoy looking through Blue Apron and Hello Fresh for ideas, though I’ll admit I didn’t particularly enjoy the process of cooking from the kits. Every so often, I think I should try it again when I lose inspiration.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve ever had one but I do have a set of unbreakable Hurricane glasses I picked up on sale.

1 Like

That looks wonderful!

1 Like

Thank you!

I get frustrated because the recipes take shortcuts that sacrifice flavor and traditional technique. The portions are OK but I agree that photo is misleading. I seek out kits to shake me out of my routine and introduce new ideas. I don’t find the ingredients themselves all that helpful - I still have to go shopping. And I don’t like the pressure to cook ingredients before they go bad - everything is fresh and needs to be used… yesterday. I might do one more order and call it quits.

3 Likes

You’re not missing anything. To me they tasted like Hawaiian punch mixed with a lot of rum! I used to have a couple of Hurricane glasses, but I finally got rid of them because of the bad memories! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Clockwise from top left

Stir fried bitter melon
Red amaranth leaves soup
Yam leaves tossed with soy sauce, white wine vinegar and minced garlic
Stir fry of julienned pork, bell peppers and bamboo shoots and pickled radishes

13 Likes

Decided to make a kid-pleasing meal tonight: bacon, hot dogs, and onions roasted over doctored baked beans. Caprese-ish salad with garden grape tomatoes, flatbread with oo, and green salad with CSA veg. All tasty.

ETA: my, we’ve eaten beans a lot recently :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

21 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind. We’ve had 4 days of rain and high winds, with some minor flooding, remnants of Ian so Hurricanes have been taking up too much space in my life.

4 Likes

Last night we had a wicked wind storm. Power was knocked out for 6 hours. I didn’t want to open the fridge, so I boiled some pasta on my butane camp stove and opened a jar of Ragu. Not the best dinner, but it was a hot meal. My girlfriend & I ate dinner by battery powered lantern and listened to an old (battery powered) radio. The power came back on just before midnight, at which point we opened the freezer and had ice cream for dessert.

12 Likes

We eat beans nearly every day. B has a love/hate relationship. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

yam leaves - they look nice where do you get those and what is the flavor like? We love spinach, collards and stuff like that.

Hooray! Worth celebrating

3 Likes

So do our digestive systems :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I combined @cristina’s chili with @christinaM’s hot dogs. A chili dog on a baguette, chips, pickles and olives. There was also Bombay Bloodies. Chili was a leftover from last week. My son and family spent my birthday week with me and one day my grandson made a big pot of chili, perfect for a cold, foggy day.

22 Likes

Another fall-harvest, roasted-veggie dinner. Home-smoked kurobuta pork belly, sugar pumpkin, gold potatoes, carrots and green beans. A little homemade applesauce.

Everything from our garden except the piggie.

21 Likes

The chili dog looks absolutely perfect, and Happy Birthday! :birthday:

4 Likes

I grow them in my garden.

They are like spinach but sweeter and a bit more verdant.

2 Likes

Chamchijeon/tuna pancakes, followed Maangchi’s recipe but added scallion, a jalapeño and a Fresno chile. With rice and veg.

21 Likes

Vegetable curry with potatoes, cauliflower, chickpeas, peas and a sauce made from diced tomatoes, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, chili, garlic and little bit of coconut milk. Served over rice

16 Likes