What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Dinner tonight: was stirfried veggies served over udon noodles. Veggies included cauliflower, carrots and rehydrated dried mushrooms. Copious amounts of hot chili oil was involved :wink:

13 Likes

I love multiple dishes like that, they look very appetising.

What’s the bitter melon like? I saw a stir fry recipe using it that caught my but never had it so am unsure what to expect and if I’d like it.

That looks like a fantastic combination!

1 Like

Agree - to me, Hurricanes are one of those “Have one if you’re in NOLA”. Otherwise, they’re just out of place in a normal day wherever you live (for me).

4 Likes

Use-it-or-lose-it meal: a soup made from string beans, potatoes, canned tomatoes, corn salsa, summer squash, bluefish, fluke, onion, garlic. Much of which was getting close to too old to eat. (And the beans were really too old to harvest, but oh, well.)

14 Likes

I bought some local (Vermont) chicken at my local farm last week so I made a chicken not-quite-white chili (I added the last of the farm tomatoes) for B. I added chiffonaded collard greens. He ate it with tortilla chips. He liked it!

19 Likes

Bitter? :smile:

Ok, kidding aside, it’s a bit like really dark chocolate (like 90% dark chocolate). But with a much more verdant follow through.

2 Likes

This photo isn’t magazine worthy by far :slight_smile: but it’s been so long since I contributed that I’m putting it here anyway! Chicken zucchini meatballs (and patties), tzaziki, greek salad, hummus, and (not shown) pita was wfd.

19 Likes

What is this? Just a greater variety than typical, or also sale prices?

Yes, basically just a nice selection of shellfish and ocean fish. I’m not sure about the pricing, it may be a little lower than usual Costco pricing, but doesn’t really “scream” sale to me. I’ve found the quality of stuff to be excellent, and the prices are usually better the supermarket too.

** you can also buy fish by the pound for that event.

1 Like

Saw this and since we have lots of boneless, skinless sardines, made some for dinner. No tomato sauce—just oil-packed, but no matter. It was still really tasty. I added some carrots and lots more scallion and used all Maggi sauce to season. Ginger would likely be nice in this since sardines have a strong flavor and aroma. Or next time I might try a little sweet soy just to switch it up. I will definitely make more!

6 Likes

Was your “wicked” wind storm in the Boston area my any chance?

We lucked out and only lost power for about 1/2 hour. My street is one of the few in the area with underground electrical cables so we often are able to keep power when others lose theirs. I have a gas stove so am able to cook as long as we have gas (and a match). It sounds like you made out pretty well.

1 Like

I was about to ask what a Bombay Bloodie because when I googled it I only came up with a very rare blood type discovered in Bombay. I then had slap my head moment when I realized you meant Bombay Gin!

1 Like

Happy birthday, fellow Libra!

3 Likes

Today’s a milestone birthday and as a hint, it’s not 20, 30, or 50! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I decided on a luxurious dinner at home. Splurged on a really nice Pinot Noir and made seared prime NY strips, my favorite hakurei turnips sauteed in the drippings, cavatelli Alfredo with spinach, mashed potatoes, and sauteed haricots. Double carbs! Cake will have to wait for tomorrow. My 5-yo son unprompted cleaned up a mess I made, which was the best gift of all.:sweat_smile:

27 Likes

Happy Birthday! What a great meal to celebrate. What a great present. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Sheet pan roasted shrimp with peppers and onions on toasted sub rolls. Garlic herb soft cheese (Laughing Cow) on the subs and lemon to squeeze over the finished product.

19 Likes

Yes, my way of trying to be clever. Just a Bloody Mary with Bombay gin, aka Red Snapper.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday to you too. Your dinner looks wonderful. We went out for pizza, but any meal with family is special and no cooking or clean up.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday!! Your dinner looks delicious!

1 Like