What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

:frowning:

1 Like

Went to Aldi’s in Salem last weekend. I was in the area, and I figured I’d try them once more since many food friends like a lot of what they get there.

Picked up goat cheese and caramelized onion raviolis, and based on several folks I trust saying they were a bit too sweet, I thought to make a savory sauce to try and counteract the sweetness.

A minced shallot was sauteed, and a large handful of cremini mushrooms that needed to be used were chopped and added. About 1/4 cup of white wine added and reduced, then 1/2 cup of mushroom broth from a half cube. Dried thyme was added, reduced some more, then about 1/4 cup of heavy cream and let that simmer down, adding some freshly ground pepper at the end.

The ravs were boiled and drained, added to the sauce to heat up, and plated with some minced fresh parsley on top.

Not bad, but yeah. Too sweet.

There was wine, since I have tomorrow off for a personal appt.

17 Likes

I made NĂŒrnburger sausages (baby Brats) over Austrian-style Sauerkraut with onions, and a carrot-walnut salad, which IMHO was the star.

22 Likes

Please share!

Walnut oil
White wine vinegar
Garlic and onion powders
Agave
Soy sauce
S&P
Herb d’provence
Dijon
Shredded carrots
Walnuts

5 Likes

Rather a lot of nonsense happening at work and in my personal life (is it a full moon?). So, delivery tonight from a trusted Mediterranean place - falafel “with everything” (whole bag of thin pita, 2 kinds of pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, tahini sauce) and an order of baba ganoush. Copious amounts of adult beverage. Leftovers of all for tomorrow depending on how the day goes. Discovered the cat likes pita and falafel.

19 Likes

Grilled shrimp, basted with garlic, cilantro butter. A mélange of leftover rices. Salad of spinach, red onion, radish, yellow baby bell, blue cheese, oo & v dressing. Red Snapper and Beefeater rocks.

18 Likes

I was looking for the Red Snapper on your plate, when I realized it was a cocktail. Lol :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Three-cheese manicotti with spinach and sausage. Winter greens from the garden in vinaigrette.

22 Likes

Real nice . Quite often I find one of the sides tends to be the star . I always start eating the sides first . Just my thing .

3 Likes

Chicken leg with mole rojo prepared with store bought mole paste (Juquilita brand). With steamed zucchini, broccolini, and rice with peas. Pretty good mole paste, will get again, though not in the near future as I now have 8 cups of mole sauce in my fridge.

Also beer.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Ginger Mango Beef done in my old pressure cooker. My girlfriend hates that tsst
 tsst
 sound that the pressure cooker makes and won’t come anywhere near the kitchen when I’m using it. I served this delicious beef over saffron rice with chopped broccoli on top.

19 Likes

I haven’t posted much food lately (though I have lurked and observed your amazing meals) and what I have has been either steak or sandwiches, but rest assured there’s been plenty of chicken and veggies in between! October has always been a chaotic month for me given my hobby and interests, and some nights I just don’t feel like taking pictures. This week alone I am fortunate enough to have three evening lectures and two public paranormal investigations. It’s all fun and what I live for, but I’m tired! Still, tonight’s meal was delicious following my event at Brookdale and a round of drinks with a friend who helped me present: a NY Strip in my favorite blend of Montreal Steak and Everything Bagel seasonings, gnocchi crisped in cast iron while the steak rested, and string beans sautĂ©ed with butter and garlic.

There was a Bombay rocks at the bar and a G & T when I got home.

Last night’s dinner was a sandwich with grilled chicken, bacon, Swiss, tomato and a garlic aioli with extra lemon juice to add some tang.

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was short ribs chow mein.

14 Likes

Paranormal investigations?? Wut. Care to elaborate? Also that sammich looks bomb!

1 Like

Bastardized jambalaya, made with jasmine rice, shishito and shepherd peppers, celery, onion, my last 2 okras from the garden, a few faves and green beans, Debrecener sausage, chicken thighs and shrimp.

19 Likes

Beef cheeks, air fried chickpeas, bed of hummus and air fried cilantro as garnish.

Pita on the side.

22 Likes

If you look closely the “eyes” of the pretzel follow you around the room 

9 Likes

NĂŒrnberger, whoops. I thought that looked wrong.

1 Like

Got a chance to think about and prep dinner in advance, since I was off today for a personal appt.

After my appt, I stopped at Wegmans on the way home, and they had Family packs of boneless center cut pork chops at $2.99/lb. When 1 chop gives me 2 meals, can’t beat that price with a stick. So dinner was decided.

Marinated a chop in unpasteurized apple cider (froze the rest), salt, a LOT of cracked pepper, several sprigs of fresh rosemary, and lits of minced garlic for several hours. Marinade was drained into a pot and reduced, strained, then returned to the pan and mounted with some cold butter for a sauce.

Chop was pan-seared in olive oil and butter and finished in the oven to 140°. Let it rest before slicing.

Sides were convection-roasted sweet potato chunks with onions and slivered garlic (which turned into garlic chips
not that there’s anything wrong with that!) and roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with olive oil, s/p.

There was wine.

24 Likes