What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

I’ll have to try to order it in Germany some time. My last couple visits have only been to Franconia and Munich. I haven’t been Bonn, or to Lower Saxony in a long time. I tried a lot of regional dishes on a visit to Lübeck, Göttingen, Hamburg and Bremen, around 2005.

Didn’t realize so many regions have versions of it.

3 Likes

Looks good - try it with blood sausage the next time for a truly authentic dish and a lot of fried onions for a hint of sweetness.

Good to see you back.

This gets me every time :drooling_face:

1 Like

Porch dinner with friends before trick-or-treating. Frozen pizzas and spinach-strawberry salad with toasted almonds, crispy shallots, and homemade sesame-poppy dressing. I didn’t eat any candy because that is a slippery slope, my friends. Instead I drank copiously: cava cocktails with fresh-squeezed orange syrup and bitters, red wine, rosé apple cider (which was actually gross), and fruity seltzer. It seemed like a good idea at the time…

21 Likes

The November thread is here:

3 Likes

Thanks.
One of my jobs in college was as a pizza-maker. That job was probably more impactful on the rest of my life than just about anything else I did there except for meeting Mr Bean.

8 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like
2 Likes

fabulous!

1 Like

it was SO good, and got better as it sat in the pot that evening, of course.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #87 - the Holiday Menu Planning Edition - November 2022

Speaking of, a couple nights ago, we were about to switch from H cooking for a week, to me cooking again (for the remainder). Plenty of meat in the freezer, and zero veg. He was going to the store anyway for a couple things, and I asked him - just pick me out 5-6 veggies, anything that looks good to you, I will figure out how to incorporate them into next week’s dinners. Could I have been more clear? He is sometimes a little forgetful, so I also wrote on his list - any veg, 5-6 of. He came back with 5 eggplant. Why? Who makes 5 eggplant at a time? Did he want to eat eggplant as his vegetable all week? Men! Lol.

5 Likes

I have a lot of good eggplant recipes, if you run out of ideas!

5 Likes

That made me laugh!

2 Likes

Sounds about right. When my husband goes shopping for me, he comes home with brands I’ve never heard of or seen. It used to irritate me, but now I just laugh (to myself).

3 Likes

Laughing is better than crying :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This was why my Mom hated when my Dad decided to go food shopping with her, because he was “bored”. The cart would be filled with stuff he wanted to try - and then wouldn’t make. OR he’d be heading back out on another film trip and if it was fresh food, it would go bad because he wasn’t there to make it.

1 Like

That is too funny. Mr Bean would probably do the same thing.

He is also notorious for buying things we already have plenty of because he “didn’t see it”. Which really means he didn’t look but if he did look he didn’t see it.

5 Likes

That is how we once ended up with 6 giant costco ketchup bottles. They come in a 3 pack.

4 Likes