What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Making Sanagan’s Meatlocker bratwurst with Himmel und Erde ( German mashed apples & potatoes) tonight .

8 Likes

Anyone else read that in Bill Pullman’s voice from “Independence Day”, as said to Jeff Goldblum’s character, David? :wink:

3 Likes

I envy your appetite! I know you take food home from these fabulous meals. I eat like a bird and wish I had the gusto that I used to enjoy.

2 Likes

WASTE NOT…WANT NOT!!

… Continuation of my Halloween cooking spree by using up all my saved shell-fish/ crustacean shell left-over collection ( North sea sweet shrimp, Argentinian wild prawns, Organic Thai Tiger prawns, Dungeness Crab, King Crab, Blue Crab but no lobster shell since my wife is allergic to them! ) to make a batch of ’ Quintessential Shellfish Stock ’ for use in my future Bouillabaisse!

…kicked up typical recipe by flambeed roasted crustacean shells with Cognac and Rum before adding white wine, water, mirepoix and aromatics to them! The umami level achieved was simply heavenly!!😋😋😘😘👌👌

24 Likes

Looks delicious!

Wow, my mouth is watering.

1 Like

One of my favorite pizza places (Rosie’s in Pt Pleasant Beach) recently posted about a honeynut squash they had as a special. I planned on ordering it but when I got some honeynut squashes in my CSA box I decided to make my own.

Roasted squash and shallots, mozzarella, gruyere, parsley and Mike’s Hot Honey. I think this combo will become a side dish for Thanksgiving.

Mr Bean decided to make a pie as well. He topped it though I stretched it and put it in the oven. Sausage, caramelized onions, peppers, parsley, tarragon, mozzarella and pine nuts. He likes a well-topped pie.

23 Likes

(post deleted by author)

6 Likes

The Himmel und Erde, with bratwurst and kale-heavy colcannon.

19 Likes

Reminds me of Dutch hutspot. I learned how to cook stamppot when we lived NL.

3 Likes

Dinner last night: Roasted pork loin with Dijon mustard and herbs, mashed potatoes with pan gravy, and the last of the fresh garden green beans. Planned overs for Cubano sandwiches later in the week.

24 Likes

Caldo Verde with fresh Spanish chorizo, Alaskan halibut, and veg.

Kale, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, carrots, and bay from the garden.

22 Likes

I accidentally deleted my own post and I don’t know how to restore it so let’s try again. Tonight’s dinner was a risotto with leeks and sundried tomatoes. I was a little heavy handed with the sundried tomatoes but it was delicious nonetheless.

19 Likes

Love “Himmel un Ääd” as it’s known in my hometown. Usually served with fried blood sausage, and the apple part is often a separate compote (or plain apple sauce, which is just sad).

A popular brewpub in Bonn also adds a fried link of liverwurst. That’s a bit too heavy for me.

4 Likes

Great looking pizzas!

2 Likes

Chile relleno with beans and rice

25 Likes

I’ll have to try to order it in Germany some time. My last couple visits have only been to Franconia and Munich. I haven’t been Bonn, or to Lower Saxony in a long time. I tried a lot of regional dishes on a visit to Lübeck, Göttingen, Hamburg and Bremen, around 2005.

Didn’t realize so many regions have versions of it.

3 Likes

Looks good - try it with blood sausage the next time for a truly authentic dish and a lot of fried onions for a hint of sweetness.

Good to see you back.

This gets me every time :drooling_face:

1 Like