What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

I needed to make gumbo while I still had fresh okra, so okra gumbo with shrimp and chorizo it was. I didn’t have any andouille sausage. Creole rice and muffaletta salad salad. A Bloody Bull. Made with gin of course.

21 Likes

13 Likes

Since iit’s take out lunch day today I made a cauliflower salad for dinner today

Second picture is the cheese tray I bought for lunch. Included is an aged cheddar, a sauvagine cheese, grapes and spiced walnuts.

15 Likes

Ham steak with Ottolenghi’s potato, apple, caramelized onion and gruyere pie. Also, a salad of roasted crookneck squash in vinaigrette with toasted walnuts and dried cranberries.

My first time making the potato gratin. I used a 1.8 qt. saucier, and it just barely fit. The recipe would have you turn this one out upside down, but why humiliate myself? We dug in from the top (bottom?). It was delicious, made a generous amount, and I will make it again.

Next time I will add green beans to this meal.

Potatoes, squash and apples from the garden.

21 Likes

No pictures. A diner breakfast. Bacon , eggs , and potatoes. With toast. Cheers. :wine_glass:

13 Likes

I made pizza dough (Roberta’s) last night for the ritual pizza Fridays. Gorgeous, supple, maybe the best pizza dough I’ve ever made.

I doubled the recipe for 4 X 12” pies for 5 people, which seemed like plenty for 2 dieting teenagers, 1 dieting adult, and 2 more.

But. There was an additional kid. The pies were 9”, not 12” as the recipe claimed. For some mysterious reason, 2 of 4 pies were made before anyone was ready for dinner. 1 pie was topped with things no one but one (“dieting”) adult will eat. And one kid was almost forgotten about because he went to take a nap while all this was happening.

So, steak was grilled to supplement.

My dinner was a small “taster” slice from the pre-dinner pies, steak, salad, and a piece of toast: not a bad dinner and yet not “pizza night”, lol.

Gratuitous sunset pic, because it’s the first sunset I’ve remembered to look at!

20 Likes

Japanese curry rice with chicken, mushrooms, carrot, onion, and potatoes, made with boxed roux and topped with a little cheese. And a salad with sesame dressing.

23 Likes

I love that Roberta’s dough recipe.

1 Like

Sloppy Joe’s and homemade coleslaw. I always butter and grill the buns. Put a very thin slice of cheddar on top of the meat mix to help it hold together in the bun, but serve it with a knife and fork just in case. Enough of everything for a leftover meal.

I would love to know Mr. Happy’s address. He has yummy food!

11 Likes

Do you get them to stretch to12”? Tips welcome.

Lol - never 12”. By increasing the recipe (this one or Lahey’s) by 10%, I can get to 11”, but that’s my personal best.

3 Likes

Pizza seems like an odd choice for “2 dieting teenagers, 1 dieting adult”. And no green salad or other lightly dressed, “bulky” salad mentioned as a possible side?

1 Like

The squash looks delectable!

1 Like

I love potatoes au gratin. I still use a ‘recipe’ my mom got ages ago from a colleague. It’s such a satisfying side dish!

3 Likes

Yum! Curious, are you back in CA with fam?

That pizza pie looks damn near perfect!

3 Likes

Honey Ginger Garlic Soy Arctic Char, ginger mirin lobster, rice noodles, lemon butter romanesco for dinner last night.
Pumpkin pie for dessert.

9 Likes

Leftovers of chicken tortilla/fideos soup that I made for lunch the other day. Forgot the avocado but it was still delicious. I had cocktails out later with a side of Castelvetrano olives. :drooling_face:

19 Likes

Yum

1 Like

I just read the recipe in the NY Times - as written, it yields 520g of dough for two skins or 260g each. Definitely not enough for a 12" pizza, ime. I use approx 325g of a similar dough (same 66ish% hydration level, more or less) for a 12", and they still end up pretty thin.

2 Likes