What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Meatloaf sandwich for Le Dîner (NB - i had a smaller one for bfast too :slightly_smiling_face:). With 'Murican cheese this time, and cornichons, yellow mustard, Kewpie mayo, on buttered/grilled sourdough. And cheeps! BF had corn dogs. I ordered them from Instacart cuz he had a hankering (along with other things we were needing while quarantining.) And reheated fries he’d frozen a long time ago. A little green salad, too.

corn dogs & fries

20 Likes

Red beans and rice with homemade kielbasa. Roasted broccolini from the garden.

18 Likes

Pad kra pao gai following Mark Wiens’s recipe , with frozen holy basil and chicken thigh instead of chicken breast.

20 Likes

Stir fry of celery with bacon
Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 9.26.36 PM

14 Likes

No photographs of the meal tonight but made a delectable sandwich of grilled chicken, sautéed broccoli rabe, provolone, and a balsamic aioli that I quickly whipped up that was too amazing-- just mayo, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. I made it to counteract the broccoli rabe in case of bitterness, but it ended up not being bitter at all. Still slathered it on. Do try it sometime. I even impressed my normal pessimistic self. Side of air-fried shoestring fries.

Did photograph my drink: a chocolate Old Fashioned. It was good but too sweet. Switched to a Maker’s rocks afterwards.

17 Likes

Down in the Yucatan for our annual pretend “we live in Mexico” month or two. My favorite asadero spot was closed (how could they!) so instead stopped by the tortilleria around the corner and used what we had at home — chorizo con queso tacos and a kind of grilled cheese panucho (I can’t get enough of this queso Oaxaca obviously).

23 Likes

A month in the Yucatan! Sounds like heaven and your food is gorgeous.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s easy when the ingredients are so good.

4 Likes

A yearly trip to the Yucatan - how wonderful! please send pics every day!!

3 Likes

Low effort sheet pan dinner. Gave the oiled and salted potato a head start then added broccoli florets and a pouch with sauerkraut and kielbasa.

Butter lake occurred off-screen but it was there!!

15 Likes

Skinny Orange Chicken (with WAY less cornstarch than the blogger says). I use Aleppo pepper for the RPF, and add peas and cashews. Because I can.

Wine.

17 Likes

A friend recently caught some yellowfin tuna (the bite has been good out by the Hudson Canyon) and we were lucky to receive a piece he smoked. After eating most of it plain, I decided to change things up and found a pasta sauce recipe that used canned tuna that I adapted to what I had on had. Red onion, garlic, celery, chopped green olives and lots of lemon zest and juice were sautéed together. The recipe called for adding angel hair pasta to the mixture with enough pasta water to make a nice sauce but I almost never to that. We each like a different ratio of sauce to pasta so I serve the sauce on top. Sprinkled with chopped parsley and served with roasted plum tomatoes.

17 Likes

This reminds me of a time during my childhood (a long time ago!) when we lived next door to someone who went salmon fishing in Scotland once a year. He always gave my parent some when he came home (in retrospect, I expect they kept an eye on his house for him). Wow. Even then I recognised how amazing it was. (This was when I lived in Northern England so it was fresh, fresh, fresh!)

2 Likes

BF made hoisin mince beef stir fry over sticky rice, and a little side salad of pickled cukes/shallots that was almost better than the main. i dumped my portion into my bowl.

19 Likes

I’ve been on the road to abstinence for health reasons, but my only detour is Maker’s Mark.

4 Likes

An oft-repeated New York Times recipe for longevity noodles with chicken, ginger, cabbage, mushrooms and scallions.

Anything green from the garden.

18 Likes

Breakfast for lunch dinner - DIY Egg McMuffins and a bloody Maria.

20 Likes

Today’s dinner was linguine with arrabiata sauce and Brussels sprouts on the side.

13 Likes

Did I already share this? Delicious! A tad salty.

2 Likes

Creme de cocoa, or…?