What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

An easy day.
Slept in.
(Finny made sure I was aware he was not pleased with that.)

Local antiquing.
Shopping to refresh the veggie bin.
Enjoying the (probable) last of the 70° weather.
Windows open.
Reading.
Deciding on dinner.

Tried this recipe from a supermarket in Ohio called Jungle Jim’s. Not bad! I used the last slices of prosciutto. (Not sure I’d want to waste Iberico ham on this recipe!)

Sides were leftover rice pilaf and steamed and buttered green beans with toasted almonds. There was wine.

https://junglejims.com/recipe/chicken-wrapped-in-iberico-ham-with-rosemary-pan-sauce/

21 Likes

Another day, another pasta: paccheri ai ragú di agnello. Again. Might have been my best yet :yum:

20 Likes

5 Likes

Grilled shrimp, okra and sausage kebabs, cajun seasoning, basted with lemon, hot sauce butter. Creole rice. Snap pea, radish, shallot slaw with rice vinegar, oo, honey and dill seed dressing. Manhattan and wine.

19 Likes

Last call for fresh zucchini pizza. Served with marinated grapette tomatoes and olives.

18 Likes
6 Likes

Happy Diwali! All sounds wonderful.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few nights out for work events in the city this week. and the meals i’ve cooked have been standard weeknight fare, in regular rotation.

Turkey chili (which i made loaded with veggies – zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, red and orange peppers, black beans, chipotle, beer); corn muffins; blistered shishito peppers.

Gochujang glazed salmon; roasted broccoli; steamed corn/edamame; orzo/rice pilaf with white beans

Working on a few things in prep for Diwali celebration on Monday.

13 Likes

It’s been months that I have cooked other than camping food
Souse vide beets , Beef short ribs smoked for three hours . Then braised in red wine .
Polenta 5 to 1 ratio with chicken stock . . Cheese rind into the pot half way through. Cooked a hour maybe more . Plenty of butter , 4 year old aged parmesan added .Cheers .

20 Likes

Paella.

18 Likes

Another frittata with red pepper paste… only this time my sister is here, and wasn’t worried about taking it out before it was “cooked”!

Looks like the red pepper paste didn’t make the shoot , but I’ve got a lot in the freezer

and it tastes great!

24 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Ground Pork Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and mixed vegetables.

18 Likes

Does someone catch the skate so that you have to clean it? Or do you buy it already cleaned? Every so often Mr Bean will catch a skate but I don’t know how to take the skin off without steaming it. Then the only thing I know to do with it is make a brown butter and caper sauce. I’d love to do something else with the skate but I’m afraid of over cooking.

3 Likes

Halibut Vera Cruz style over leftover yellow rice pulled from the freezer. I bought the halibut for a fancier prep but had zero cooking mojo, and this is a super easy prep and always tasty.

13 Likes

I have bought skate both skinned and filleted (that’s what you see in the picture) and skinned bone in. I’ve never taken the skin off myself. I also mostly make a brown butter and caper sauce, but I’ve also made these two recipes, and I like them very much. I think it’s pretty hard to overcook skate.

Skate poached with ginger

Skate wing, ¼ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp cardamom, 1 sprig oregano, bay leaf, ¼ tsp cloves, ½ tsp grated ginger, slice of lemon peel, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, water, pat of butter, 1 tsp minced chives

Toast the spices in a dry pan, then add vinegar, lemon peel and enough water to come halfway up the skate wing. Boil for 6 minutes and then lower heat, add skate and cook gently for 7:00. Remove skate and reduce poaching liquid to ¼ cup. Whisk in a cold pat of butter, season with salt, pepper and chives and spoon over skate.

4 Likes

I made caramelized onions today to feed my freezer. With the quantity I made, It took about 2 hours to get to the golden brown I like with 3 thinly sliced large sweet onions, including one drain in a colander after the onions had collapsed to get rid of excess liquid. Five Tupperware Midgets filled to the top and into my freezer.

Dinner was less good: a BISO chickie boobie seasoned with olive oil and Spicewalla’s Honey and Herb seasoning rub and roasted. That was good.

Side dish was to use some of the large container of baby spinach I had in a creamy spinach and mushroom pasta bake. I added much more minced fresh garlic, more dried herbs than the blogger called for, and it was still kinda Meh. Oh well. It’ll give me a meal or two for a quick work lunch.

There was wine.

16 Likes

Wings braised in coconut milk and red curry paste.

16 Likes

That looks delicious! And I love Thai curries. I am adding this to my “to try” list

1 Like

Leftover “hamburger soup” from the freezer. Apple and rum-raisin slab-pie for dessert.

19 Likes

Kielbasa, cannellini bean soup, onion, garlic, carrots, kale, chicken broth. Salad of mixed greens, pepper, cuke, red onion, creamy Greek dressing. Sourdough, garlic butter toast. Wine.

17 Likes