What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Polenta season. On the menu tomorrow. It’s been a long time . I like golden pheasant. time . I’m going to use bobs red mill this time
Chicken stock , bay leaf, four year old parmigiana reggiano , plenty of butter .
I like my polenta super soft .
What I don’t use . I pour into a dish , then refrigerate for the next meal cut into squares .

9 Likes

That looks good! And yes, air is better too. While northern Puget Sound area has had worse smoke, yesterday found myself congested and coughing - thought I was coming down with a cold. Symptoms GONE today - yay! Time for some clean crisp fall air, which we will have.

1 Like

Yay for good clean air again! It was brutal this whole week. Had bad air in Gig/Tacoma. Which was a huge bummer bc the college kid is allergic to animal hair/dander, and our BNB was full of it! Can’t be inside, can’t go outside for long. Didn’t share that with you :slight_smile: He only spent 1 night there and we schlepped him to his dorm room the other 2 nights, getting tolled on the bridge over and over. Then we got home only to have the air so bad here (basically in the purple all week till today) that we didn’t leave the house. My H was going up and down the stairs for exercise. Like 50 times in a row. Such a relief to go outside again, even in the rain!

3 Likes

Raining here too. Salisbury steak, mushroom gravy. Baby potatoes, haricots verts par boiled and then sauteed in butter, onions and bacon. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, green onion, cucumber, oo & v dressing. Beans, potatoes and tomatoes from the garden. Bombay bloody, aka red snapper and wine.

20 Likes

Joining @Sasha for the autumnal dinner. Count us in for the rain, also.

Pan roasted pork chops. Yukon potatoes and the last of the leftover butternut-mashed potatoes. Cabbage, carrot and apple slaw.

Everything from the garden but the piggie.

18 Likes

The NYT just ran a bit for Salisbury steak. I’ve been thinking of it ever since. Yours looks terrific.

3 Likes

Look at you and me and our parallel pork/apple/squash universes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Potato ragout with curry, white wine, veal stock, heavy cream, orange zest and dill. Served with quickly seared shrimps and scallions as well as braised carrots in marsala wine.

14 Likes

Thanks, it was one of my better efforts, nice and moist.

2 Likes

I tried making nargisi kofta, boiled eggs wrapped in spiced ground lamb, following this recipe:

Nargisi kofta are a possible inspiration for/ancestor of Scotch eggs. They came out pretty good flavor-wise but the yogurt separated when I added it, I probably should have used some full fat yogurt rather than nonfat Greek yogurt.

And also basmati rice and a Greek salad.

21 Likes

Ha! I’m actually on a paranormal investigating team (like you might see on TV). Started it with a bunch of friends after we had been volunteering at an old museum which ended up being haunted. We do events (lectures and investigations) throughout the year but October is obviously much busier. We also do a lot of fundraising events for museums and libraries.

6 Likes

That’s so cool! My PIC just finished his book on the history of UFOs. He remains an open-minded agnostic, however, after all his research.

Lots of “haunted” houses in PA, and I think PSU even has a paranormal society or some such :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hiyashi stew (Japanese beef stew) from the Morimoto cookbook. Some fried scallions to garnish. Red wine for me and IPA for him

27 Likes

That looks SO good!!!

3 Likes

Thank you! If you have chicken and/or veal stocks on hand (freezer!), it comes together pretty quickly too.

1 Like

An easy day.
Slept in.
(Finny made sure I was aware he was not pleased with that.)

Local antiquing.
Shopping to refresh the veggie bin.
Enjoying the (probable) last of the 70° weather.
Windows open.
Reading.
Deciding on dinner.

Tried this recipe from a supermarket in Ohio called Jungle Jim’s. Not bad! I used the last slices of prosciutto. (Not sure I’d want to waste Iberico ham on this recipe!)

Sides were leftover rice pilaf and steamed and buttered green beans with toasted almonds. There was wine.

https://junglejims.com/recipe/chicken-wrapped-in-iberico-ham-with-rosemary-pan-sauce/

21 Likes

Another day, another pasta: paccheri ai ragú di agnello. Again. Might have been my best yet :yum:

20 Likes

5 Likes

Grilled shrimp, okra and sausage kebabs, cajun seasoning, basted with lemon, hot sauce butter. Creole rice. Snap pea, radish, shallot slaw with rice vinegar, oo, honey and dill seed dressing. Manhattan and wine.

19 Likes

Last call for fresh zucchini pizza. Served with marinated grapette tomatoes and olives.

18 Likes