What's For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:The things we do for love.

1 Like

You know some German: “Wem sagen Sie das?”

2 Likes

Oh look. It’s Friday.
Oh look. She’s back to her usual meal.
Oh look. It’s still a good choice for Friday night.
:wink:

Large steak tip, cooked to a perfect medium rare.
Drizzled with Ballymaloe steak sauce.
Half a baked tater with TPSTOB&SC.
Steamed asparagus.
Plenty of wine.

23 Likes

Nice . I’m having traeger chicken thighs. Potato salad , Cole slaw . Tomorrow is the day I get to take all the personal belongings of the tenant to the dump . Victory . I raised a glass of wine to a picture of my parents and thanked them .:wine_glass:

12 Likes

Filet of beef on the grill with some of the last of the summer veg. Marinated mozzarella, tomatoes and olives with fresh basil. Grilled zucchini.

20 Likes

Shoulda just gone to @LindaWhit’s with a bottle of wine…!

But instead. Late dinner after insanely timed tests that required not eating, so I was ready to eat my arm by the time I was done. Stopped by one grocery store, closed, then the other, to get a roll so I could make a sandwich from the last of the pot roast. Delay was annoying, sandwich was delicious.

Last night’s dinner was Thai with a group of Onions. What we ate is here.

Came home and finished the panna cotta tart I’m taking to a potluck tomorrow, plus mini fish cutlets which were more work than anticipated because I had foolishly not accounted for how long pan-frying 4 dozen of them would take. Will post pics of both tomorrow when they’re plated – I was too exhausted by the time I got done.

22 Likes

Omurice - fried rice with chicken, onion, mushrooms, carrots, peas, ketchup, and oyster sauce topped with a 3 egg omelette and slightly thinned Japanese style demi-glace from a jar.

17 Likes

Last night’s movie* sucked, but at least my craving for Woks of Life Scallion Beef was satisfied. There were G & T’s.

*We have been watching one horror movie per night starting in late September since Halloween is our favorite holiday. Last night we watched Halloween Ends. Awful. Spare yourself if you can.

15 Likes

Check out “The Innocents” or “Old People” some time. We’re big horror fans, and these were… something.

1 Like

I did see “The Innocents” years ago. I’m a fan of horror across all decades, but I do have a thing for movies before the “Slasher Era”, so to speak. Price, Cushing, Lee, etc. This fall I have covered a century of horror, from “Nosferatu” (1922) to “Halloween Ends” (2022).

2 Likes

The one I am talking about is from 2021, so perhaps you’re thinking of a different one. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4028464/

Blumhouse makes good horror flicks, too. And if you haven’t seen “Becky,” you must.

1 Like

I thought you were referring to the 1961 film. I will have to check that out!

It reaffirmed my decision not to procreate, for sure. And unfortunately, there is a pet scene (I figured I’ll warn you, bc I don’t deal with that shit well). Thus the existence of this website: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/ :sob:

2 Likes

So does Jamie Lee Curtis die?!

2 Likes

Driving almost all day picking up stuff for work. But I got everything I needed, including for the Halloween Costume Contest several of the new kids wanted to have at work, as well as a reverse Trick or Treat.

Took out shrimp to defrost and tossed them with olive oil and The Spice and Tea Exchange Island Sweet Spice Blend and some dried tarragon.

Sautéed a minced shallot in olive oil and butter, added maybe 2 Tbsp of white wine and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice and reduced, added the shrimp and cooked 1 minute over side. Removed the shrimp, added 1 Tbsp of heavy cream, blended, added the shrimp back in, and plated on Near East rice pilaf with buttered green beans alongside.

There WAS wine.

21 Likes

Leftover 15 Bean Soup from the freezer. Leftover homemade tortilla chips.

18 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including char siu pork tenderloin and smoked pork belly; wood fired chorizo sausage with avocado mousse; duck confit with braised red cabbage; mushroom panzanella salad; endive and apple salad with crushed hazelnuts; wood fired Gulf shrimp with butternut squash risotto; and an incredible dessert of butternut squash inside of a pumpkin with miso and other delectable ingredients. It all went great with an excellent Malbec and cabernet.

12 Likes

Three dump runs from the front property rental . Officially over . Held the tenant personal property for 15 days
Wine , Ribs on the traeger, baked beans, corn off the cob sauteed in butter. Cheers.:wine_glass:

15 Likes

I’ve had my eye on this Ditalini with Lentils and Shrimp recipe from Lidia Bastianich for a while. This is a good transitional fall soup - the seafood makes it light, but the lentils add enough heft and body to combat the falling temperatures. I also added a pound of cubed cod with the shrimp and basil and a little extra olive oil at the end.

This makes a ton, especially for two people, so we’ll probably eat this through at least Tuesday. I expect it will get even better over night in the fridge!

15 Likes

Looks and sounds good, healthy eating too!

2 Likes