What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Thank you all for the comments. There were so many people closer to this individual than I, but we had a very in-depth “career” conversation just a month or two ago after one of my events. She was so happy and satisfied with where she was in life and her business, it was inspiring. That’s really what got me more than anything.

Just gotta cherish every moment we have, which is easier said than done.

14 Likes

oh how nice of you to say! but no, he spent some time at a Pizza Hut and as a prep dude in a buffet place when he was in his teens, but nothing more than that. He’s just a natural!

1 Like

So very sorry to hear this - sending condolences and strength to you and your friend’s family.

2 Likes

what a loss… and yes, we really do need to appreciate each moment we have and the people we love as often as we can.

3 Likes

This is my very first Quiche. I’ll reheat it at halftime for dinner. I made the crust from shortening, flour and ice water. That was the hardest part (for me). It is just a broccoli and onion quiche, as I didn’t want to waste any meat if it flopped. My girlfriend and I just tried a small piece and it was delicious. I will par-bake the crust (a little) next time, but not bad for a first attempt. I can now add a Quiche recipe to my binder. (recipe from “Preppy Kitchen” on youtube)

22 Likes

The meal was definitely delicious and if you ever get the chance to attend a Kamayan meal I would encourage you to attend one. We did in fact get utensils but after the food was spread out on the banana leaves.

As for serving ourselves we were given plastic gloves to scoop up food after the food was spread out.

2 Likes

Continuing my Spring Onion dinner series….TJ’s pork dumplings and a side of ramen in action. Funny enough, I neglected to photograph mine and B’s meals :blush:…leftover roasted feta/tomato/chickpea with rice for B plus his usual giant salad, loosely based with several tweaks CSA mixed mushroom with couscous soup with local Bread Obsession sourdough for me.

18 Likes

So sorry you lost your friend. We recently got news that one of our longtime friends died suddenly from a heart attack. We still can’t believe he’s gone.

4 Likes

Dinner last night - Childhood Chili, from H’s mom. Ground Turkey (she used beef) pinto beans, tomatoes, carrots! Spices, etc. Homemade cornbread. It was a good nostalgic bowl and dinner for an early fall evening.

19 Likes

It’s beautiful! Congrats!

3 Likes

Excellent effort! Looks really good. So many wonderful variations on quiche too.

2 Likes

French onion soup with homemade stirato croutons. Chicken diavolo. Seasoned garden veg in vinegar.

20 Likes

There is nothing like a quiche to empty the crisper drawer. Congratulations on your first attempt, looks great!

1 Like

I have had such an onion soup craving lately! I have a random Friday off work tomorrow, so now I know what I’m making. Your’s looks great! What recipe did you use?

It was very good! I think (but am not certain) this is an older Cook’s Illustrated version, but in any case, here’s what I follow:

Caramelize the onions over the course of several hours:

4 T. unsalted butter
2 lb. sweet onion, halved and sliced in 1/8" slices
6-10 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 t. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Then add flour and cook for a few minutes:

2 t. AP flour

Add wine, deglaze and let thicken slightly:

1 c. dry white wine

Add stock, and simmer for 40-60 minutes to allow the flavors to marry:

4 c. beef stock
2 c. chicken stock

7 Likes

Wild boar burger with a topping of crispy bacon and sautéed pears, onions and leeks and yoghurt-wild blueberry jam spread

13 Likes

Came home this late dinner: BF made Pommes Parisienne, from a recipe we watched Chef John make last week. INCREDIBLE, hands down my new favorite potato method. Uber fluffy inside, crispy outside. Also, “creamed” spinach with plenty of garlic and parm regg, and marinated marbre steaks from our Frenchy butcher. A perfect meal.

I see I’ve forgotten to post our anniversary dinner pics from this weekend, but i’ll have to do that tomorrow. worked late, need a cocktail!

20 Likes

So sorry for the sudden loss of your friend…

1 Like

Thank you!

It looks really good. You gotta love a nice, deep quiche.

1 Like