What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

That looks delicious.

2 Likes

Thank you! It was just what tonight’s weather called for!

A one-and-done recipe from Bon Appetit/Epicurious.

I had picked up some new-to-me paccheri pasta at Home Goods and went looking for recipes. I thought their “Paccheri Pasta with Braised Chicken and Saffron Cream” would work.

Nope. A very bland tasting dish and visually unappealing. But at least now I know. There are other paccheri recipes I’ve printed out.

Yeah, there was wine. Back to the grind in the morning.

18 Likes

I recommend the recipe (or similar ones; Bayless’s on line version diverges from the book in that you add cooked rice at the end instead of cooking the rice in the stew. I like the body the starch adds.)! Great stuff for the fall.

One of the best paccheri dishes I’ve eaten is in a simple tomato sauce with small-cubed fresh mozzarella added just before serving. Rao’s would work, but Hazan’s is the kind of simple I mean.

4 Likes

I’m visiting a friend and her family at the Jersey shore for the weekend. They’re from South Philly, and today one of them made tomato sauce with meatballs over spaghetti, and another made a stacked caprese salad to start, with an intense fresh basil dressing. There was fresh italian bread to sop up all the good stuff. Delicious! Especially after a glorious day at the beach.

23 Likes

We had our friends over on this rainy holiday. We started with homemade baba ghanoush and a bunch of “things from jars and cans” - Kalamata olives, cornichon, hummus, quinoa-stuffed dolmas, lavash, crackers, pistachios, and spiced cashews. Two bottles of Pinot Noir were downed before we moved on to a Tuscan red. The main meal was chicken vertically roasted over CSA new potatoes, okra, garlic, onion, lemon wedges, and garden herbs. Sides of cucumber, watermelon, tomato, and radish salad with feta, Meyer lemon oo, and mint, more lavash, and sauteed zucchini with coriander and smoked red pepper. Dessert was a slightly underdone fig, walnut, and honey cake adapted from Ina Garten, served up with decaf Earl Grey.

25 Likes

Gorgeous! Both food and scenery!

3 Likes

Zucchini-lamb kofte (redux). Tzatziki. Homemade soft pita wraps. Greek salad.

Cukes, shallots, tomatoes, and green peppers from the garden.

21 Likes

Today was a shorts and sandals day on the So. Oregon coast. Grilled an Asian pork burger with slaw and sriracha mayo on a toasted French sandwich roll. Alexia sweet potato fries with more sriracha mayo for dipping and charred shishitos. Hard cider.

19 Likes

As for any new fur baby. Requires . Lobster, paella and wine .

2 Likes

Had friends over for an early Labor Day BBQ yesterday - started with bruschetta to use up a bunch of cherry tomatoes and basil from the garden, then moved on to ribs, insanely creamy mac and cheese, and COTC. Forgot to take pics of all but dessert, a peach-plum tart with pistachio frangipane.

Leftovers for dinner tonight. Salad for dinner tomorrow! :pig::rofl:

22 Likes

Yes. Lots of wine :grinning:

2 Likes

Casserole of pasta and shredded, poached chicken breast with a sauce made from a few glasses of roasted red pepper, parmesan, thyme, shallots, garlic and parsley and dollops of chèvre and ricotta

17 Likes

Sounds and looks incredible!

4 Likes

A Labor Day bbq we were invited to got rained out, so we picked up hosting duties for our gang. I made mac salad based on a good friend’s recipe, then added a Greek-ish salad cuz I felt we needed more veggies. Our guests brought a cauli casserole/gratin dish & a side of salmon we baked in the oven.

20 Likes

Please share!

A couple of celebratory “We survived the summer in food service on the Jersey Shore” martinis. I’m glad it’s over. Bring on fall.

And there were chicken tacos.

15 Likes

1 lb elbow macaroni

1 cup mayo

Couple tblsp sour cream

Couple tblsp cider vinegar

½ lemon - juiced

1 or 2 Tsp sugar

Dried mustard

Celery salt

Black pepper

Creole salt