What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Another day, another Aldi pasta: goat cheese & caramelized onion ravs. I made another fresh tomato sauce from my grated FM bounty, with diced shallots, toasted tomato paste, Calabrian peppers, just a touch of crème fraîche, and fresh basil.

The ravs were oddly sweet (I blame the caramelized onion), so we likely won’t be having the leftovers or getting these again. Hopefully, the basil & pine nut ravs are better :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I like your style! Good camping menu.

4 Likes

There’s an episode of Netflix’s Street Food USA that focuses on yakamien. Worth a watch!

3 Likes

It is on my list! Thanks!

1 Like

Tonight my DH made a MarleySpoon meal kit - chicken al limone over [angel hair] with sauteed spinach.. It was good!

15 Likes

@ChristinaM’s spread the other day made me crave chickpeas (which never happens) so I soaked and cooked some. But then I wanted puri/bhatura with the intended chana masala, and I really had no desire to deep fry anything.

So, a much simpler outcome - Chana Pulao. Followed a recipe flagged in a book I had been given years ago but still had to cook from. And all I can say is WOW. For very simple ingredients and process, an absolute winner. I really want to try this with kala chana / black chickpeas, which have more flavor and more of a bite. (And to not overcook the rice next time.)

Also on the plate: leftover carrot salad, yogurt, papad.

15 Likes

We ate early tonight, and the lighting was even more terrible than usual. The food, however, was good!

Homemade blueberry vareniki from the freezer. Cucumber salad with sour cream and dill.

Cukes and berries from the garden.

14 Likes

Crushed ginger snaps on the rim!!

2 Likes

Yesterday and today.

IMG_4200

IMG_4205

Gonna channel my inner @ipsedixit and let everybody just figure out what these are.

10 Likes

We’ve not had the cooking love lately. We’ve ordered really good wings twice from a local takeout joint, and to our credit, we did chop celery and carrot sticks (fiber is good) - one of our Aussies scarfed a wing bone but he seems to have survived. Tonight, we were still lethargic and uninspired to cook much of anything so (sorry for no photos) we had Mama Mancini’s meatballs with Rao’s marina and spaghetti. We did have a nice chunk of real Parmesean to shred on the pasta…Forgot to heat up the frozen garlic bread. We’re seriously pathetic, lazy, getting old…

12 Likes

I do not have any cooking pictures tonight. The first taste of the chicken boudin sausage from the man who makes sausages like no one else. I dropped my fork somewhat spicy stuffed along with rice and cilantro. World class . Unpretentious learned from his father from Bravaria. I have talked about him before.
I put in a order for a small goat . It will be harvested and cleaned. Looking forward to it. :wine_glass: Cheers .And learned from talking to him . He uses pork jowl in his Hot dogs . Something about the texture. Wow

9 Likes

In honor of National Pancake Day, dinner tonight was Veggie Fritters with corn, peas, onions, carrots, celery & cheese. I topped them with a little sour cream. Both yummy and very filling!!

18 Likes

Tonight was an app night. Born out of a recent trip to Trader Joe’s and also a chance to cleanse the fridge and freezer. By no means do these go together, and not all photographed. There was:

-An Italian meat sampler of prosciutto, salami, and capicola. Leftover fresh Mozz with Asiago purchased for the occasion.

-A couple of mom’s stuffed artichokes.

-TJ’s mini pumpkin samosas from. NOT pumpkin spice, but actual pumpkin, Indian spices, and paneer. The combo worked. I’d buy again.

-TJ’s butternut squash mac and cheese bites. Not great. Good texture and composition, and they didn’t explode in the air fryer, but not much flavor of squash nor cheese. Would not buy again.

-The rest of an opened package of scallion pancakes from H-Mart.

Was there more? I don’t know. A couple of gin martinis into the evening.

14 Likes

WOW! Homemade blueberry vareniki for dinner!

That just gave me an intense flashback to when I lived in Poland (Peace Corps) and a local family who often had me over for dinner, served me fruit pierogi when the fruit were in season (they made blueberry, cherry and then plum, as I recall.) I was so astounded the first time it happened: Fruit?! Dumplings?! For?! DINNER?!?! But of course I came around quickly :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Quick stew with sweet potatoes, yellow peppers, mushrooms, scallions, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary - served with yoghurt (mixed with lemon zest and juice) and alfalfa sprouts.

13 Likes

Alfa sprouts as garnish.

I will need to remember that.

6 Likes

I could jump into a bowl of that. I have been making a vegetarian stew for years that is heavy on sweet potatoes, black beans, carrots, garbanzos, onions, garlic, multicolored bell peppers, tomatoes and the usual warm chili spices. A pinch of cinnamon! We have it on top of Israeli couscous. Sometimes if my husband catches a striped bass, I’ll cut one of the filets up into chunks and throw it in for the last few minutes of cooking. A very forgiving firm white fish.

3 Likes

In my book, chopping celery and carrot sticks to go with counts as making dinner.

7 Likes

I’ve oft done blueberry and cherry, but never plums. I’ll have to try it.

1 Like