What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Found this packet of dry rice noodles at 99 Ranch Market. They came with the spice/veg packets shown - the veg consisting mostly of radish, pickled mustard greens, Pixian watercress, and most of all, chilies - pretty spicy! BF wokked up thinly sliced pork with various soy/sesame, etc., to go with, as well as little salads of cukes, tomatoes, and tofu. all delish. I really liked the noodz, BF liked them a bit less. Wikipedia tells me that Nanchang is the capital of the Jiangxi province, and their cuisine is known for being hot. I bought a pack for my sister but they’ll be too hot for her, so we get to have them again sometime.

Nanchang dry noodles packet

Nanchang dry noodles flavor packets

18 Likes

WHAT is a pumpkin martini?

those stacks look amazing!

3 Likes

Okay, so it can be made in a variety of ways:

Start with 3 or 4 ounces of pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice liqueur (in NJ we have brands such as Pennsylvania Dutch and Fulton’s Harvest). I then add a splash of 100 proof vodka (what they don’t know won’t hurt them :shushing_face:) and a splash of Scotch. Dusted with pumpkin spice.

However…

You can also swap the vodka/Scotch with white or dark rum and/or bourbon. And we were just discussing this today that the first time I made this drink years ago, I could swear I used Licor 43. And it was amazing. Haven’t had it on hand in too long.

If served up in a martini glass (how I normally would), it can be rimmed with cinnamon sugar or crushed Graham Crackers. Endless possibilities.

I don’t do sweet creamy drinks personally but I’ll make gallons of this for my BF, mom, if we have people over, etc, in fall. Usually I take one sip to make sure its okay, but that’s it.

4 Likes

Hi Linda,

We went to Dalí tonight with some relatives. We had Jamón Ibérico de Bellota, Patatas Bravas, Gambas al Ajillo, Mejillones en Vino Blanco, Pulpo A’Feira, Albóndigas de Cordero, Chuletillas, and a Paella Valenciana. We liked everything, but the standouts were the Ibérico ham and the lamb meatballs. No cocktails. We had to go easy on the alcohol, because both couples were driving.

The only unfortunate feature of the place was the noise level, which made it difficult to talk. Can’t have everything!

7 Likes

Farfalle with shredded carrots in a creamy sauce - first sautéed the shredded carrots then added several
cups of water and cooked the farfalle directly with the carrots. Once al dente just added some cream, butter, capers, parsley, parmesan, sautéed pancetta and nutmeg

18 Likes

Hi WFD gang - voting for Cuisine and Dish of the Quarter is live. Come join us!

Whatever it is, it’s most def not a martini.

1 Like

Oooh, sassy!

1 Like

I’m with @linguafood on this one - anything other than a vodka martini is not a martini :wink: I tried a martini with gin once but it wasn’t for me. I love gin but preferably with tonic and a sprig of mint.

I had no idea how popular pumpkin spice booze had become. I think I knew about the Bailey’s. I definitely knew about Salt Caramel Bailey’s. Not sure why people can’t just add pumpkin pie spice or caramel to OG Bailey’s or OG whiskey.

GIN. GIN. GIN.

Vodka has no business in a proper martini, either, unless it’s a dirty one - why ruin a good gin?

2 Likes

:point_up_2: It’s got scotch in it! Just give it a different name! Swapping gin for whiskey changes a Negroni to a Boulevardier.

1 Like

I prefer my Boulevardier with rye :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Natural pumpkin juice” :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

Legit. Rye is a whiskey.

I know :wink:

That’s funny since the original was gin!:face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Are you one of those Germans who hates pumpkin? Always amused me.

I love the garlic shrimp, the patatas bravas, and the lamb meatballs AND the lamb chops! You had a wonderful meal! I’ve not been there on a Thursday in years, but with schools back in, I’m not surprised it was noisy, especially after almost 3 years of people not being able to (or choosing not to) dine out. I hope otherwise you had a good time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great idea - and so colorful!

1 Like