What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Onions, lily bulbs, shrimp, tempeh, carrots

2 Likes

Nice .I enjoy getting the items in the dish wrong . Im learning
One of these days Alice . To the moon . Lol .

4 Likes

That image is straight outta “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”

3 Likes

Quick catch-up.

Wonderful dinner at our dear friends’ house - salmon with soy-maple sauce, COTC, buttered green peas. I brought “Japanese restaurant salad” (that awesome dressing redolent of carrots and ginger). No photo. Too busy eating, drinking, and socializing.

Veggie bean soup with air-fried tofu.

Vietnamese rice noodle salad (somewhere under the tangle of veggies). King salmon for B, leftover air-fried tofu for me (not shown). Sautéed oyster mushrooms, broccoli, raw sliced tomatoes, COTC cut off the cob. Liberal sprinkling of mint and cilantro.

18 Likes

Shrimp and Broccoli (and Cauliflower) over noodles, adapted from The Woks of Life - https://thewoksoflife.com/shrimp-and-broccoli/

20 Likes

Ate out last night with a dear friend I hadn’t seen in person in almost 3 years. The catch-up took priority over the food, but the food was pretty delicious too — we both ordered the same dish (I wanted steak, but the sides for the fish sounded so much better :joy:), branzino with maitake mushrooms, leeks, and potato ragout.

Ate out again tonight — takeout at a friend’s who is in the second half of his series of brain procedures. We ordered from a favorite Sichuan place and the meal hit the spot — dry pepper wings, dry pot chicken, mixed pepper fish, and snow pea leaves for the vegetable component.

But this afternoon I did make a big chocolate cake for the guys (my friend having the surgery and his friends and relatives who have flown in for caregiving) but “big” from my perspective wasn’t so much from theirs :joy: They started with the cake as appetizer while we waited for dinner to be delivered, then had some more for dessert after, and have told me there probably won’t be any left by the end of the night :rofl:

22 Likes

Kofte meatballs. Greek salad. Tzatziki. Twice cooked potatoes leftover from last night. The last of the homemade pita from the freezer.

I didn’t have any zucchini as filler for the lamb tonight, so instead I used scallions. Lots of them - about 2/3 c. chopped to a pound of meat.

Cukes, tomatoes, spuds, scallions, shallots and dill from the garden.

23 Likes
4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was beef liver, onions, baked potatoes and cauliflower. I overcooked the onions, but they were still (somewhat) edible.

10 Likes

That sounds like a delicious addition!

It was! :yum:

I’ve tried Rao’s arrabbiata, vodka and marinara. All better than most cheaper sauces.

Last week, I browned a pound of ground veal, added the Rao’s Arrabbiata, and we liked the result.

Lidia’s (available at Eataly), and Dave’s (I think that’s the name) , also in the $8-$11 range up here, are equivalent for me.
For cheaper sauces, the Cirio and De Cecco work for me. I usually choose to buy Arrabbiata, Sicilian, Napolitana or Norma .
I’ll head back over to the sauce discussion.

3 Likes

Tried a tuna moussaka of sorts, bèchamel over tuna, eggplant, tomatoes and potatoes. Tomatoes and potatoes from the garden. We liked it. Nice change from Tuna Casserole.

12 Likes

Here’s the recipe for the harissa eggplant. It’s an Alison Roman recipe:

5 Likes

Thank you! I look forward to trying this.

The recipe calls for a great deal of oil, so when I make this I will try some hacks to reduce the eggplant’s oil-drinking qualities without sacrificing taste.

3 Likes

This one uses a little less oil, maybe you can adapt the spicing.

3 Likes

WFD folks: In case you’d like to cook along with other Onions, there are a few different cooking themes getting going for the month and the quarter in case you haven’t seen the threads for nomination and voting:

Current versions:

4 Likes

I haven’t made the fried eggplant dish above but I’ve had to use some for other dishes and I agree eggplant soaks up a lot of oil when fried. I have an olive oil spritzer in my kitchen so I can slice the eggplant then spritz both sides of each slice then cook under the broiler. It cuts down on a lot of oil being used. It works well with sliced zucchini too :wink: Maybe you can broil the eggplant while making the sauce?

2 Likes

A day off to deal with a medical procedure. Driving in pouring rain down to south of Boston (I’m full-on north) is never fun. But got it done. AND I stopped in the next town over to pick up more bottles of my favorite Ballymaloe steak sauce on my way home since I had run out a couple of weeks ago.

When I realized last night that today/tonight was the start of Autumn, and it was going to be cool enough, I pulled out a boneless chuck roast last night to defrost for Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast. And I was actually able to start it at 3:30 to be able to eat dinner at a reasonable hour. Bonus!

Boiled Yukon Gold potatoes and one of the mega-carrots I picked up this past weekend for the veg side, along with my favorite red blend Silk and Spice. Back to work tomorrow.

24 Likes

That looks super-comforting, and I hope you’re doing ok!

3 Likes