What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Still working through the chicken and orzo from earlier this week. It has been very busy, so I am glad to have it to heat up for a minimal fuss dinner. Tonight we added some peas to it in order to change it up and served roasted broccoli and cauliflower on the side.

15 Likes

Hot sesame noodles with scallions and pork from epicurious. I forgot the nori but I remembered the chili oil do I guess that’s the important thing?

20 Likes

Onion , orange tomato, prawn , mushroom, it looks like egg , but .

1 Like

Roasted BBQ rubbed chicken thighs and cauliflower purĂ©e (with obligatory butter lake). Pure comfort. I don’t normally do cocktails with dinner but was craving a Manhattan tonight (Redemption Rye and Dolin red vermouth).

20 Likes

Rao’s is a good “reach for” when there’s nothing to eat. I keep a jar around for when I’m blindsided by kids/grandkids.

5 Likes

Dried cranberry beans, paccheri, Calabrian sausage, Swiss chard.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 5.47.39 PM

20 Likes

Roast chicken redux. Scallion chicken roasted over Yukon potatoes. Green beans and cucumber salad on the side.

Lots of oniony leftovers – yay!

Spuds, cukes, green beans, shallots and scallions from the garden.

19 Likes

Clockwise from top.

Couscous, Brussels Spourts, (overcooked) salmon with chimichurri reduction and kimchi

12 Likes

Onions, lily bulbs, shrimp, tempeh, carrots

2 Likes

Nice .I enjoy getting the items in the dish wrong . Im learning
One of these days Alice . To the moon . Lol .

4 Likes

That image is straight outta “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”

3 Likes

Quick catch-up.

Wonderful dinner at our dear friends’ house - salmon with soy-maple sauce, COTC, buttered green peas. I brought “Japanese restaurant salad” (that awesome dressing redolent of carrots and ginger). No photo. Too busy eating, drinking, and socializing.

Veggie bean soup with air-fried tofu.

Vietnamese rice noodle salad (somewhere under the tangle of veggies). King salmon for B, leftover air-fried tofu for me (not shown). Sautéed oyster mushrooms, broccoli, raw sliced tomatoes, COTC cut off the cob. Liberal sprinkling of mint and cilantro.

18 Likes

Shrimp and Broccoli (and Cauliflower) over noodles, adapted from The Woks of Life - https://thewoksoflife.com/shrimp-and-broccoli/

20 Likes

Ate out last night with a dear friend I hadn’t seen in person in almost 3 years. The catch-up took priority over the food, but the food was pretty delicious too — we both ordered the same dish (I wanted steak, but the sides for the fish sounded so much better :joy:), branzino with maitake mushrooms, leeks, and potato ragout.

Ate out again tonight — takeout at a friend’s who is in the second half of his series of brain procedures. We ordered from a favorite Sichuan place and the meal hit the spot — dry pepper wings, dry pot chicken, mixed pepper fish, and snow pea leaves for the vegetable component.

But this afternoon I did make a big chocolate cake for the guys (my friend having the surgery and his friends and relatives who have flown in for caregiving) but “big” from my perspective wasn’t so much from theirs :joy: They started with the cake as appetizer while we waited for dinner to be delivered, then had some more for dessert after, and have told me there probably won’t be any left by the end of the night :rofl:

22 Likes

Kofte meatballs. Greek salad. Tzatziki. Twice cooked potatoes leftover from last night. The last of the homemade pita from the freezer.

I didn’t have any zucchini as filler for the lamb tonight, so instead I used scallions. Lots of them - about 2/3 c. chopped to a pound of meat.

Cukes, tomatoes, spuds, scallions, shallots and dill from the garden.

23 Likes
4 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was beef liver, onions, baked potatoes and cauliflower. I overcooked the onions, but they were still (somewhat) edible.

10 Likes

That sounds like a delicious addition!

It was! :yum:

I’ve tried Rao’s arrabbiata, vodka and marinara. All better than most cheaper sauces.

Last week, I browned a pound of ground veal, added the Rao’s Arrabbiata, and we liked the result.

Lidia’s (available at Eataly), and Dave’s (I think that’s the name) , also in the $8-$11 range up here, are equivalent for me.
For cheaper sauces, the Cirio and De Cecco work for me. I usually choose to buy Arrabbiata, Sicilian, Napolitana or Norma .
I’ll head back over to the sauce discussion.

3 Likes