What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

FWIW, I believe those are Nantes type carrots, a French heirloom.

3 Likes

Thanks, I just looked them up. Haven’t heard of them before. Surprising to see them in Market Basket. Looking forward to trying them!

1 Like
2 Likes

Yes . I pick out the big ones to feed the horse next door . The truth. Going on five years carrot time is 4 pm . Yes she is waiting .

4 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ including seafood squid ink pasta with lobster, shrimp, and mussels; lobster bisque soup with PEI mussels; panko crusted halibut over forbidden rice, with a wasabi sake sauce; pumpkin capellacci with brown butter and sage sauce; and pecan caramel ice cream for dessert. It all went great with an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape and cabernet/shiraz blend.

11 Likes

A few meals because I’m apparently too lazy to post “reply” after typing :joy:

Tonight: Pan-fried mushroom and vegetable noodles. First time making this at home, quite easy and very tasty. (Also enabled me to cook the rest of the Chinatown vegetables before they were unusable.)

Last night: Indian food at a friend’s place, he had it cooked to spec by a restaurant chef near his office. Kababs - chicken seekh, tandoori legs, salmon. Main course was goat korma with naan and caramelized basmati rice. The korma was especially good.

Night before: Banh mi and cha gio courtesy takeout before I got on the train home after a quick trip to Boston.

20 Likes

Tsukune meatballs roasted in the oven, made mostly from chicken, with some pork and a little zucchini. Marinated cucumber salad. Roasted green beans. Steamed rice.

Zuccs, scallions, beans and cukes from the garden.

17 Likes

I’m going to guess a kind of ham . . Green onion . Broth . Tell me how to make it . that looks like a dark oyster sauce. thin mushroom. I’m not sure
Strike 3 …

What recipe did you use, if you can share? Thanks.

It looks really good and I also have ingredients I need to use up.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was pork meatballs over egg noodles. I was going to pour some brown gravy over top as a sauce, but my girlfriend wanted chicken fried steak gravy.

16 Likes

Boil and drain noodles.

Prep veg — blanch greens individually, saute mushrooms.

Mix seasoning: chicken/veg broth, white pepper, sugar, soy, sesame oil, vinegar.

Pan-fry noodles: Oil in wok or non stick pan, flatten noodles, crisp on one side, turn and crisp the other side.

Make topping: Sauté aromatics (ginger, garlic, sliced onions, scallions). Add vegetables, mushrooms and seasoning mixture and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry, let thicken

Pour veggie mixture over the crisped noodles.

13 Likes

Underneath all that Pecorino is one of my hybrid Italian meals. It’s not Piccata because there’s no capers and it’s not Murphy without sausage. So we have what is essentially Chicken Scallopini in a white wine sauce with onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and hot cherry peppers over linguine. Three different meals in one. Any meal that combines potatoes and pasta is okay in my book.

7 and 7 to drink. Kirkland Canadian whiskey in place of Seagram’s.

18 Likes

Not very photogenic brown blob but very tasty Japanese beef curry - cooked cubed beef chuck in a pressure cooker in a mixture of caramelized onions, garlic, ginger, garam masala, carrots, apple, bay leaf and beef broth for 25 minutes. Released pressure, added sweet potato and shiitake mushrooms and cooked another 5 minutes under high pressure. Released pressure again and simmered some mustard greens in the mixture. During the simmering you make a quick roux from flour, garam masala, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and some beef broth and added it to the curry to thicken. Served over rice.

11 Likes

Thank you.
That’s pretty much how I make it, only yours looks prettier because I mix mine up before serving.

1 Like

That looks really tasty!

Pork bone broth, sliced pork loin, noodles, nori sheet, seaweed, scallions and black vinegar (at 7 o’clock).

5 Likes

Brothy orzo with chicken, lemon, feta, and fennel. Roasted green beans too! The orzo was inspired by both Nigella and Ottolenghi. Copious leftovers for the next couple nights.

18 Likes

Fettuccine with crispy prosciutto, quickly sauteed asparagus in the pan fat with Aleppo pepper and dried thyme, and a very light lemon cream sauce (chicken stock, heavy cream, grated Parm-Reg, a blup of fresh lemon juice, and a bit of pasta water to thin it out).

A schprinkle of more grated Parm-Reg and some freshly grated pepper on top.

Wine.

And some Jello chocolate pudding with toffee bits on top for dessert.

Because there’s always room for Jello. :wink:

21 Likes

I just came across a package of pork belly in the freezer (among other things). This looks like a great way to use it. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Oh, this looks great. Fall comes, and I crave this kind of “brothy” thing.

1 Like