What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Yeah, it was honey barley.

Not sure it would be my first choice, but wouldn’t turn it away either. :wink:

1 Like

Wine has no blackout days at chez small h.

4 Likes

:smiley: I try to keep it to Thurs (pre-weekend) to Fri-Sun (full on weekend). But yesterday was a bear, so I went with what was remaining in the bottle in the fridge - a scant glass. Did the trick.

5 Likes

Killing two birds with one stone!!..tagged on a birthday celebration!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll give The Sprout the task of looking for them. That sounds like an interesting combination.

Stir fried paneer and green beans, adapted from Thali by Maunika Gowardhan (her version has bell peppers instead of green beans). Basmati rice to go with. We really loved the flavors in this! This will be a “make again” recipe.

20 Likes

Last night I made gyros from an Aldi kit. The gyro loaf is even better than Trader Joe’s as the slices are plentiful and don’t fall apart.

18 Likes

Back from Amsterdam and happy to report the trip was fabulous and we ate all the things, don’t bother even going there, it’s all gone. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll be prepping a report for the Euro board soon, but still dealing with a bit of jet lag and catching up with work.

I didn’t eat anything the first night i got back, just hit the hay. last night, our office had a rooftop terrace party (first social event we’ve had as a firm since before the pandemic) with tapas and paella - very good, and I ate a ton. so this is my first home-cooked meal in over a week - courtesy of the BF. I’m trying to go a bit light, as i have another Euro trip planned in about 3 weeks (BCN)! so i asked the BF for a veggie heavy, salady, Viet type of thing with beef.

and voila. he used the thin rib eye I buy that’s made for hot pot, stir fried it, and served it with lettuce, toms, a little cauli, carrots, shallots, cukes, radishes, cilantro, peanuts, Thai chilies, and sauteed red onions, in a nuoc cham dressing. Super spicy and just what i wanted. he made himself some sticky rice but i mostly stayed clear - just had a tablespoon of that for myself.

23 Likes

Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

6 Likes

Pizza. Stonefire thin crust, Boursin cooking cream, caramelized onion and garlic, chicken garlic sausage, baby bell, olives, parm and parsley. Salad of mixed greens, radish, avocado, green onion, ranch dressing.

21 Likes

Shrimp scampi linguine. Roasted green beans.

Tomatoes, shallots, long beans and parsley from the garden.

21 Likes

So, this is the best meal I’ve made in a long time. Crab cakes using a recipe from Jacques Pepin as a guide. Crab meat, mayo, breadcrumbs, green onion, salt, and pepper. That’s it. While forming them, I was concerned about the lack of egg yolk as a binding agent but forged ahead anyway. They ended up crumbly, but perfectly light and fluffy-- the kind you would die for in a restaurant. The simplicity of the recipe and lack of filler and unnecessary ingredients highlighted the sweetness and tenderness of the crab. Sautéing in butter and olive oil also added more flavor and a nice crust. Best crab cakes I’ve ever had. Served over a remoulade and with a side tomato and avocado salad. Summer is winding down and this is the perfect meal to enjoy before the solstice sets in.

Gin and tonic(s) to drink.

25 Likes

I’m always interested in the crab people use. Did you use canned, or did you get picked lump at the fish counter? If I could find a crab that I could afford and liked the taste of, I’d do crab cakes sometimes. I’ve tried the large black can from Costco at my parents and didn’t love it.

3 Likes

Celebration meal:

Homemade crab cakes
Local corn

Wow this photo makes the crab cakes look like crab tater tots :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Entertaining friends. I made Uncle Bill’s slow-cooked ragu with sausage, ground beef, roasted red peppers, and black olives, served over rigatoni. Green salad with shallot vinaigrette, garlic knots, buttered broccolini, and espresso and bakery cupcakes for dessert.

18 Likes

Busy, insane week.
It never stops.
Out at 5 on the dot. (Rare)
Because…
Flu shot at 5:30.
Home.
Cats fed.
Changed into comfy clothes.
Wine.
Wine.
Friday dinner.
In that order.
Works for me.

Large steak tip seasoned with a mix of olive oil, s/p, some very old Spice Hunter Key Lime Pepper Blend (but still limey and peppery enough), and some lime juice. Cooked on the grill pan; finished in the oven.

Half a baked tater with TPSTOB&SC and asparagus alongside.

Did I say wine? Yeah. There was a small pour more with dinner. TGIF.

19 Likes
6 Likes

Nice . Linda you know that’s a small pour . Happy weekend. Lol

2 Likes

Mrs. P made grilled shrimp salad with grilled figs, arugula, and various fruits for herself and Cajun dry rubbed country ribs with sautéed homegrown peppers for me. She also made guacamole with Zapps Voodoo chips. It all went great with an excellent California Malbec.

18 Likes

Wow .!!!

1 Like