What's for Dinner #85: The Falling Leaves Edition - September 2022

Lovely! I know these (or very similar) as Semmelknoedel. Austrian version - just minus the Parmesan.

3 Likes

:100:

I was thinking ahead to winter tonight and dreading the limited/flavorless produce from grocery stores. At least with our wintertime CSA we get good stuff.

6 Likes

Oh yeah? What kinda stuff you get in the winter?

Simple pasta with sautéed zucchini and cherry tomatoes in a sauce made from cream cheese, pasta water, oregano and red pepper flakes - served with some salami chips for texture

18 Likes

I almost made the exact same meal tonight. It was 50/50 until I saw the ground pork in my fridge.

It’s a good comfort meal.

4 Likes

We’ve got a new Cookbook of the Month for September: Cook, Eat, Repeat by Nigella Lawson. You can find the thread here: September 2022 COTM - COOK, EAT, REPEAT

5 Likes

Caprese with burrata, heirlooms from the FM, avocado. It’s a great combo.

20 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a simple “throw together” dinner… Bratwurst, sauerkraut and mixed vegetables.

16 Likes

Squid with cranberry beans, parsley and orange zest.

21 Likes

Looks fantastic! What’s the broth?

And yet, I have much more of an appetite then so I’m happier to eat!

1 Like

That looks pretty fantastic.

1 Like

Honestly only the winter kale made an impression, but things like turnips, potatoes, etc.

Swanson’s. Allowed to reduce as dumplings poached.

1 Like

America’s Test Kitchen approves.

1 Like

I was going to prepare duck legs cooked on the Traeger tonight. Well there has been a slight change in plans . The power grid for Mt Shasta is shut down do to a explosion at the Roseburg mill 9 miles north in Weed. The whole plant has burned, taking houses around it . So sad . Watching these massive borate bombers fly over . Super serious.
Grilling on the deck in emergency mind set . I’m safe . It all is just a mess. Cheers :wine_glass: No pictures.

17 Likes

We’ve had the bombers over our country place so understand your situation. Sending all good thoughts for your safety and of course for control of the fire. Grill enough for cold cuts tomorrow. Again, stay safe. It’s hard to go to bed at night with the smell of smoke in the air.

8 Likes

Overcooked pork tenderloin, sauteed apples from the yard, maple balsamic glaze, beet greens, pan fried potatoes. The maple reduction saved the day.
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 6.00.38 PM

16 Likes

Korean rice bowl with marinated, stir-fried beef, and roasted green beans and broccolini. Homemade chili crisp. Quick-pickled Asian pears (a nod to @shrinkrap).

Veggies and fruit from our garden.

25 Likes

Chorizo/beef, red onion, cilantro patty with aji verde. Farmer’s market cotc and a salad of mixed greens, radish, avocado, snap peas, green onion, creamy Greek dressing. Lambrusco.

Figs with sour cream, balsamic syrup and pistachios. Oh I should have put some maple syrup in my balsamic.

I never saw the sun today, smoke and fog. Aka smog.

22 Likes