What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

So, it’s a “work in progress” :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, somewhere on the spectrum.

1 Like

Thank you. We had some leftover with a lot of juice but not enough to make bruschetta again, so I added some chopped cucumber and coarsely pureed it in the food processor. It made enough for 2 servings of gazpacho tonight with leftover steak sandwiches…

5 Likes

BF’s first attempt at tortilla de patata - not bad! i’ve made dozens and dozens and they can be finicky, so his first try is impressive to me. he did overcook it a bit (little burnt on one side) but overall very tasty, and the dollop of Mexican crema was genius - i usually use aioli of some type, but the crema was a nice, fresh alternative (duh, sour cream and potatoes…) Alongside was a green chile/cilantro sausage from a local butcher, and a green salad.

19 Likes

Summer minestrone.

Onions, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, and zucchini from the garden.

21 Likes

Thai style broiled pork neck - kho mu yang, with dried chili dipping sauce. With tomato, cucumber, rice, and a fried egg.

17 Likes

Last night’s dinner was pan fried Korean short ribs and chow mein. Although the mushrooms and nappa cabbage were good it would have been nice with more colourful vegetables. Maybe next time carrots and snow peas.

16 Likes

Dinner tonight was blackened redfish following the instructions of The Cajun and Creole Cookbook by Ruby Le Bois. We had a rice pilaf with peas and corn on the side which soaked up all the extra butter and seasonings. I cooked half the package of fish today and we’ll repeat the recipe and do the rest tomorrow evening. At least that is the plan.

18 Likes

I’m salivating! :yum:

1 Like

Thank you! I am looking forward to repeating it tomorrow!

Tonight’s dinner is a Potato & Vegetable Casserole.

13 Likes

DH’s night to cook. Oklahoma onion burgers on an outdoor griddle.

Homer Davis and his son Ross invented what he called the Depression burger at the Hamburger Inn in El Reno, Okla., as a means to add inexpensive bulk to their burgers. Rather than toasting, the buns are steamed in onion-scented vapor. That the technique — cooking the patties smashed-style with a huge amount of thinly shaved onions and steaming the buns — and restaurant remain popular to this day is a testament to the burgers’ deliciousness. – NYT Cooking

Onions, lettuce, pickles and cukes from the garden.

21 Likes

16 Likes

Tonight: Shrimp wontons with chilli oil and pork and shrimp siumai, both from frozen. I ate some fruit earlier and told myself a vegetable could be skipped.

Last night: Lions head meatball with bok choy and rice from the excursion including the frozen dumplings.

18 Likes

Celery with peanut butter. And cheese. I’m back working full(ish) time. Sigh.

9 Likes

I did an actual double take and had to go back through your post to get the name of the cake. It looks awesome!

2 Likes

Rice pilaf with cauliflower, carrots, chicken breast, onion, curry powder, almonds, cilantro and dill

9 Likes

Delete to Happy

Japanese curry with chicken made using boxed roux, rice, salad, miso soup, and pickles.

Sake

18 Likes

I’ve created the new thread for September here:

6 Likes