What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

What a beautiful day!

4 Likes

I find myself making Arroz con Pollo once a week because after a long, late workday, it’s a relatively simple (but not quick) one pot meal. Boneless skinless thighs are rubbed with an array of spices, plus there’s the BF’s mom’s Sofrito, green olives, gandules, and bacon (traditionally would be salchicon).

There was a Tito’s rocks. Or two. I think. This was an awful weekend work-wise and I’m off tomorrow.

20 Likes

Lamb tagine with carrots, olives, dried apricots, garlic, onion, cilantro, lemon zest and juice and a sauce made with chicken broth, paprika, dried ginger, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, chili - served over couscous

14 Likes

I made Tilapia last night. It gave me a chance to try out my new “Victoria” 10" Cast Iron skillet. I want to compare and contrast it to my Lodge 12" Cast Iron and my 10" enameled cast iron.

This delicious fish was paired with some yellow rice and carrots.

Although a very simple recipe of salt/pepper/flour dredge, I’d like to give credit to my 84 year old mother.

14 Likes

No grill for me - not allowed in my complex. So grill pan has to suffice when I want a burger, steak tips, etc. I’m thankful for central AC. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like a well stocked pantry, freezer, and fridge, mcc! Dinner sounds wonderful - and welcome to HO! There’s an ongoing introduction link here if you’re so inclined to let us know a little about yourself. (There are 1445 posts, so perhaps scroll to the end. LOL)

4 Likes

Whew it’s been a hot minute since I contributed, as the kids say. WFD yesterday was pizza! Always a favorite around here, and an opportunity for me to use up my sourdough discard. Sourdough crust topped with pesto, first seasonal corn, ham, sundried tomatoes, mozz. Basil on top after broiling to get some brown cheese. Good stuff.

16 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Be still my heart!

2 Likes

Welcome! That all sounds great!

Looks fantastic.

1 Like

Nice to have others cook for you, but there’s a lot less veg there than a typical Christina plate!

1 Like

We live on outer Cape Cod. We are entering the last few weeks of tourist season. It gets so thick with too many people and dangerous to drive out here that we eat out of our freezer and our garden in July and August. We finally have some rain today. We’re in an official drought. We have a well, but people on municipal water are being cautioned against flushing their toilets too frequently, taking abbreviated showers and kissing their lawns and gardens good bye. We have been carefully watering our tomatoes and some young trees we planted this spring but are worried about our well pump pressure. Tonight is chicken stew from the freezer. There are fatal accidents on Rte. 6 out here in the summer. Very dangerous highway…

6 Likes

Haven’t been to Cape Cod for years, but remember Rte. 6 well.

2 Likes

It’s a difficult place to live. I could easily shut the door and say “good-bye” but my husband is in love with it. Over 2 hours to an airport, limited access to a lot of things I enjoy but we’ve had our place out here since 1991 and lived here since 1999 except for a 2 year stint in the Netherlands. People come out here to unwind, but a lot of us actually start to unravel. I am bored out of my mind on this peninsula.

5 Likes

Thai/Sichuan mashup dinner tonight: pan-fried coconut/green curry shrimp with SE’s Thai dipping sauce, stir-fried broccoli with oyster sauce, a STOG & Sichuan hot sauce. Hit tha spicy spot :yum:

17 Likes

Pad kra pao gai — Thai basil chicken

Holy basil is in season and pad kra pao is still one of my favorites. Didn’t realize I didn’t have fresh chilis so used some that I have always marinating in fish sauce, they worked (would still prefer the fresh). Over jasmine rice of course.

20 Likes

BLTs here again - gotta act while the tomatoes are still good - tho they start coming out later here in SF, seems like, and go sometimes through early Oct. Big fat yellow heirloom, Nueske’s bacon (first time trying - the smokiness! swoon!) - and butter lettuce. Rye toast for me, (small slices) and toasted brioche for the BF. COTC for me, his potato salad for him (i had a few bites too). Summer summer summer!

23 Likes

one of new faves too - even though i’ve not been able to find holy basil here…

i freeze my thai bird chilis so i always some handy - works great.

gorgeous plate of food!

3 Likes

Mesquite grilled hot wings on the Big Green Egg. Garden veg. Homemade ranch and wing sauce. French fries.

The fries are McCain’s – we’ve had an open bag of those loitering in the freezer since the Surprise Frozen Fries thread.

16 Likes