What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Mmmm that looks so delicious!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Last evening I made green arroz con pollo, mainly for one of my friend’s caregivers (his BIL) who has been craving verde sauce on anything.

Originally inspired by a Rick Bayless recipe but what I make now is so far from that it wouldn’t be fair to call it a riff :joy: Pureed a bottle of salsa verde, added a few tbsp of fresh zhoug for cilantro and fresh chimichurri for parsley (plus garlic, cumin, and fresh chilli also came along with those). Chicken thighs into the mix, everything pressure cooked, and 15 mins later I had an absolutely delicious pollo in verde sauce.

Well then came the problem. TJ’s basmati rice had been washed and drained while the chicken cooked. When I added it to the pot and let everything finish cooking, the rice just broke up. Sigh. Still delicious, but not the outcome intended. I have to restock one of my usual rices.

Pic of leftovers so can see the broken rice mush :frowning:

17 Likes

Maybe my favorite cocktail pic so far

3 Likes

Fennel and quinoa salad based on a bulgur salad in the current COTM. Hummus from the same book, different than my usual. It had fresh dill stirred in, along with chile flakes and cayenne. Homemade flatbread with za’atar to go with, and pattypan squash bread & butter pickles.

16 Likes

Voting for the September Cookbook of the Month is happening now. Consider joining us as we select and cook from a book.

We invited another couple to join us for a baked cod dinner last night. Beer and wine to drink because none of us drink the hard stuff these days. So, what do we do with liquor cabinets of both opened and unopened bottles? All predate Covid but nothing older than about eight years. Not eager to dump the lot but wonder what can be kept without much loss in quality. Will hurt to get rid of that bottle of Grand Mariner kept on hand for an occasional margarita, though. (Crepes Suzettes, anyone) ?
I know not to cook with wine I wouldn’t drink but what about using liquor past its prime? Im thinking of recipes that call for a splash of vinegar since I’m pretty sure there some of the liquor must have turned to vinegar by now.
Bonus points for cocktail suggestions using old liquor and pantry/refrigerator ingredients.
As always, I’m grateful for this group. If this belongs in another topic, please move it. Thanks.
Carolina

10 Likes

(Old picture)
On those “Hotter N’ Ell” days like the ones we’ve been having lately, one of our favorite dinners is this take on a Thai shrimp salad.
Peanut sauce marinated and then grilled jumbo shrimp, romaine, red bell pepper, red cabbage, shredded carrot, cuke, brown rice, cilantro, sliced almonds and a drizzle of the peanut sauce. Very filling. Then we sit out and watch the bats snag the mosquitos and moths. We’re going to have this tonight. Last night it was a fresh 1 pounder Idaho trout done Amandine style with COTC with a smear of blue cheese butter. (No picture)

20 Likes

I kind of doubt anything will have turned to vinegar. The high level of alcohol and/or sugar will usually prevent that. Wine/Wine-based products like vermouth, marsala, and sherry probably age the worst. For everything else, host an open-bar party or donate to someone who will :slight_smile: Know any almost 21-year olds? Help them celebrate in grand fashion.

You could also explore baking with liqueurs if that’s more your speed?

Or ship to your favorite in-state Hungry Onion-er?

6 Likes

Oh my - look up succulent in the dictionary and this is what you’ll see!!!

1 Like

Munchies in front of the TV tonight, so guacamole with sour cream and also splurged on some Ora King salmon roe! Whispering Angel rosé for me and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA for him.

22 Likes

That looks so precious.

Almost too precious to eat.

1 Like

We were blessed with some Golden Hour sun :sunglasses:

But, I gotta say Ora King salmon roe is some damn good stuff. If you come across it, I can’t recommend it highly enough!

6 Likes

A couple of sweet Italian sausage sauteed with broccoli and a half pkg of cooked trotolle pasta (shaped like a spinning top). Crushed garlic (probably 4 cloves, so there’s no vampires near me tonight, unless I invite them in), white wine, pasta water, heavy cream, a small handful of Aleppo pepper, lemon zest, some freshly ground black pepper, and grated Parm-Reg.

A very nice glass of Gerard Bertrand Cote des Roses rosé alongside.

22 Likes

Thrilled to find an unconventional (to me) application for my many dozens of homegrown Black Cherry heirloom cherry tomatoes, I made NYT’s "cold noodles with tomatoes" tonight for supper.

DELICIOUS.

IMG_0359

(Note that I used soba, cuz that’s what I had, and I don’t regret it.)

21 Likes

~swoon!~ I love noodles of all types so I bookmarked it for a future dinner.

2 Likes

Good to know my liquor supply is in good shape. Thank you.

1 Like

Zucchini pizza redux.

Served with garden tomato slices and kalamata olives.

19 Likes

Murgh malai, zucchini/carrot fritters with curry aioli and kachumber. Suntra Reeta? to drink. While I had the grill fired up I roasted poblano and Hatch chiles.

17 Likes

i found some jambon de Paris at a butcher store in the SF Ferry Bldg. that is closing so i bought some (and a few other things) and now i’m sorry i didn’t buy more. I had fancy delicious French butter leftover from the beach weekend, and tasked the BF with making Jambon-Beurre for dinner. Acme baguette isn’t exactly the right bread, but close enough. The ham was perfect - i read up on French ham and it is marked by being wet cured, unsmoked, less salty than a lot of American hams, and cooked low and slow in water with a variety of spices - rather sounds like a pastrami but without the saltiness - and of course, the silkiness of the ham is key. Turned out great - just as I remembered them… on the side he also served a cup of veggie soup he made (using the leftovers of my caponata and other things in the fridge. he said it was mostly for my pic so the sandwich wouldn’t be alone on the plate!) and i asked for a simple salad of butter lettuce and radishes in a walnut oil/sherry vinaigrette. He ended up adding peaches, walnuts, raisins (the one thing i wouldn’t have used!), and a few other things, and it turned out great. But that sandwich - mon Dieu!

24 Likes