What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Turkish chicken kebabs on the grill. Homemade pita wraps. Greek salad from the garden. Tzatziki, feta and olives.

16 Likes

My FIL cooked again. Fried fish, more mac, baked beans, cole slaw, and cheesy hash brown casserole.

Peach dump cake and s’more ice cream for dessert.

18 Likes

Hanger steak cooked sous-vide, with chimichurri, fries, and a salad. And wine.

18 Likes

@Mr_Happy

I want!

2 Likes

Mmmm - my FIL never cooked a thing in his life and I married his son LOL. His mother was a very meat and potatoes kind of gal who catered to her husband’s preferences so I inherited that set of genetics when we got married. I grew up in the heartlands of the midwest in a big family with limited income and Campbell’s tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches were always an exciting Payday Friday meal for us. But DH has evolved since I left the kitchen because of prolonged treatments for breast cancer and he has become an accomplished cook, but not as good as your guy!

10 Likes

Today’s H Mart find: scallion pockets! Amazing. Dipped into Lao Gan Ma fried chili in oil since they were out of chili crisp! :scream: This was an appetizer to go along with Thai takeout even though this was not Thai.

Dinner: my usual Pad Prik Khing with chicken and BF got chicken Tamarind, not pictured.

Drinks outside prior:

21 Likes

I envy you easy access to an H Mart. Boston and area has a large Asian population but I live remotely (outer Cape Cod) and the closest to me is well over an hour not even one more on the south shore but it’s a dream to shop. I go there or into Chinatown in Boston with my girlfriend. She drives and has a GPS, I pay for the gas and parking. We gorge on noodles and then buy a whole lot of ingredients to get us through to the next trip…it’s been a long time because of our collective health and Covid. I have resorted to ordering esoteric ingredients on-line.

11 Likes

FB memories told me that I made this dish a year ago yesterday, so i asked the BF to make it tonight - Cannellini bean salad, with fresh mozz, FM early girl tomatoes, basil, a Calabrian chili paste vinaigrette, FM lettuce, parm, with a toasted and garlic’d Acme rosemary roll. Of course, his turned out much prettier! A little wagyu salami on the side (a bit odd in flavor) so it’s not a totally meatless dinner, heaven forbid.

15 Likes

i found it a little tangy/sweet, but maybe because you mixed it in with other ingredients that didn’t come through…?

1 Like

i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again. Mr. Happy’s food makes me Happy.

6 Likes

Taking advantage of the fresh corn - rigatoni with fresh corn, crumbled Italian sausage, plenty of thinly sliced garlic, chili, lots of basil and sauce made with pasta water and lots of butter and parmesan.

13 Likes

Looks great, but “lots of basil”?

From the looks of it, that would barely qualify as a “smattering” in my book … :wink:

I always that two bunches are a lot but I guess I have calibrate better in the future :wink:

1 Like

My FIL is a retired restaurateur (Midwestern family restaurant/steakhouse/pizza joints) who shows love through food. So we’re similar in that way :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m lucky my husband tries to share the load with cooking at home, although the meal planning, shopping, and prep mostly fall to me. We make a pretty good team in the kitchen. I’m glad to hear your DH stepped in to take over the cooking responsibilities. Making meals is one of the most intimate ways to show someone you care :heart:. cc @Saregama (and others).

6 Likes

Mmmm that looks so delicious!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Last evening I made green arroz con pollo, mainly for one of my friend’s caregivers (his BIL) who has been craving verde sauce on anything.

Originally inspired by a Rick Bayless recipe but what I make now is so far from that it wouldn’t be fair to call it a riff :joy: Pureed a bottle of salsa verde, added a few tbsp of fresh zhoug for cilantro and fresh chimichurri for parsley (plus garlic, cumin, and fresh chilli also came along with those). Chicken thighs into the mix, everything pressure cooked, and 15 mins later I had an absolutely delicious pollo in verde sauce.

Well then came the problem. TJ’s basmati rice had been washed and drained while the chicken cooked. When I added it to the pot and let everything finish cooking, the rice just broke up. Sigh. Still delicious, but not the outcome intended. I have to restock one of my usual rices.

Pic of leftovers so can see the broken rice mush :frowning:

17 Likes

Maybe my favorite cocktail pic so far

3 Likes

Fennel and quinoa salad based on a bulgur salad in the current COTM. Hummus from the same book, different than my usual. It had fresh dill stirred in, along with chile flakes and cayenne. Homemade flatbread with za’atar to go with, and pattypan squash bread & butter pickles.

16 Likes

Voting for the September Cookbook of the Month is happening now. Consider joining us as we select and cook from a book.